    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Black Locust Guest

    Black Locust, Jun 14, 2005

  3. RichA

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Jun 14, 2005
  4. When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    Michael Walker, Jun 14, 2005
  5. RichA

    Guest

    Michael Walker wrote:
    > When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    I think the last time I ever bought for myself was "Carwash" a few
    years ago when I had this itch to see it. For some reason that still
    escapes me the video store where I bought it didn't have any to rent
    but had one for sale because someone ordered it but never picked it up.
    I still buy vhs tapes for my 5yo niece because it's easier for her to
    play them herself than dvds.

    , Jun 15, 2005
  6. RichA

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Michael Walker" <> wrote in message
    > When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    It was a long time ago. I have 6 DVD players and only one
    old VCR, so you can see where my priority is.

    Mark Jones, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Derek Janssen, Jun 15, 2005
  8. RichA

    Richard C. Guest

    > When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    ==============
    Me?
    Never.
    I was into LD since 1982.
    Always avoided VHS.

    Richard C., Jun 15, 2005
  9. RichA

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <0xPre.231$>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > ...And once, again--in his search for the Perfect Tabloid header--Rich
    > acts like a wishful prime sucker and makes a big, big boo-boo:
    >
    > http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/14/news/fortune500/walmart_vhs/index.htm

    Damn, that's a bummer. But I guess it really shouldn't come as any
    surprise considering Wal-Mart is the number one destination for Joe Six
    Pack and other assorted trailer trash.

    Black Locust, Jun 16, 2005
  10. In article <u6Jre.98371$>,
    Michael Walker <> wrote:
    >When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
    for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
    anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
    expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.

    A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
    about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Jun 16, 2005
  11. RichA

    kaboom Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:55:01 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

    >In article <u6Jre.98371$>,
    >Michael Walker <> wrote:
    >>When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    >Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
    >for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
    >anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
    >expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.
    >
    >A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
    >about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.

    **Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
    collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
    tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
    piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
    years ago. Any suggestions?

    In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes but I
    do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have a DVD recorder
    so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the peanut gallery, thank you
    very much ;) Maybe it's a nail in the coffin of commercial tapes but I
    still like using my VCRs.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jun 16, 2005
  12. RichA

    Stan Guest

    kaboom <> wrote in

    snip

    > **Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
    > collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
    > tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
    > piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
    > years ago. Any suggestions?

    Half.com has 11 copies available right now.

    Stan, Jun 16, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    kaboom <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:55:01 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <u6Jre.98371$>,
    >>Michael Walker <> wrote:
    >>>When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    >>Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
    >>for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
    >>anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
    >>expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.

    >>A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
    >>about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.

    >**Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
    >collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
    >tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
    >piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
    >years ago. Any suggestions?

    Actually you can find all sorts of out-of-print things by going
    to the 'used' or 'z-shops' at Amazon. Other times it's just
    searching on the 'net until something comes up.

    >In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes but I
    >do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have a DVD recorder
    >so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the peanut gallery, thank you
    >very much ;) Maybe it's a nail in the coffin of commercial tapes but I
    >still like using my VCRs.

    I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
    1977.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Jun 16, 2005
  14. RichA

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >In article <u6Jre.98371$>,
    >Michael Walker <> wrote:
    >>When was the last time you bought a movie on this antiquated format?

    >Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
    >for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
    >anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
    >expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.
    >
    >A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
    >about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.
    >
    >Bill

    Thats what i had to do with a concert tape of "STYX, Caught in The Act"

    No DVD exists

    GMAN, Jun 16, 2005
  15. RichA

    kaboom Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:52:48 GMT, Stan <> wrote:

    >kaboom <> wrote in
    >
    >snip
    >
    >> **Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
    >> collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
    >> tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
    >> piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
    >> years ago. Any suggestions?

    >Half.com has 11 copies available right now.

    **Hey Stan. Have you ever purchased anything from vendors off of
    half.com? Would you recommend it?

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jun 16, 2005
  16. RichA

    kaboom Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:55:00 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >In article <>,
    >kaboom <> wrote:

    >>**Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
    >>collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
    >>tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
    >>piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
    >>years ago. Any suggestions?

    >Actually you can find all sorts of out-of-print things by going
    >to the 'used' or 'z-shops' at Amazon. Other times it's just
    >searching on the 'net until something comes up.

    **I've only purchased one item online. In January I bought a
    multisystem VCR with a PAL/NTSC converter (I was desperate for one). I
    wish I was more fearless at purchasing online. Since I really do want
    some of these flicks, I probably will do so or rope my co-worker into
    doing it for me. :) I've seen those used or z-shops, do you use them
    often?

    >>In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes but I
    >>do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have a DVD recorder
    >>so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the peanut gallery, thank you
    >>very much ;) Maybe it's a nail in the coffin of commercial tapes but I
    >>still like using my VCRs.

    >I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
    >1977.

    **Aaaaaaaah, a good year :) At the Motorcity Comic Con, this May, I
    picked up a DVD-R of a 1978 Olivia Newton John special (w/Andy Gibb
    and ABBA). Yea, so I'm an ABBA fan ;) It was actually really decent
    looking so I guess it was off of the laserdisc issue. I also picked up
    an old Japanese anime version of Jack and the Beanstalk (Jack to Mame
    no Ki) from that same year (I believe). I haven't looked at it yet
    though.

    I have tons of tapes to transfer, also. And after getting all the
    equipment to do so, I've realized that I need.......more time! My DVD
    recorder needs a button that grants me several extra, stress-free
    hours in the day to do more things. My Panny e85 has gone all wonky
    and I'm debating bringing it in to Circuit City (warranty) to have
    them fix it. I'm thinking about getting a Pioneer.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jun 16, 2005
  17. RichA

    Stan Guest

    kaboom <> wrote in

    > **Hey Stan. Have you ever purchased anything from vendors off of
    > half.com? Would you recommend it?

    I have bought and sold a number of items without a problem. YMMV.

    Stan, Jun 17, 2005
  18. RichA

    GMAN Guest

    In article <sSmse.55$>, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >GMAN wrote:
    >
    >>>Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
    >>>for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
    >>>anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
    >>>expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.
    >>>
    >>>A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
    >>>about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.
    >>>

    >> Thats what i had to do with a concert tape of "STYX, Caught in The Act"
    >>
    >> No DVD exists

    >While, more to the point, I've had to DVD-R some of my no-DVD VHS tapes
    >to keep them from disintegrating--
    >
    >(And on that note, thank you, MGM, for finally putting "The Thin Blue
    >Line" on indestructable commercial DVD, but there's still that "Electric
    >Dreams" thing to work out...)

    Isnt that the one with the computer that gets all horny for that musician that
    is upstairs?

    GMAN, Jun 17, 2005
  19. GMAN wrote:

    >>Actually about 2 months ago. Soemthing that has been out-of-print
    >>for years and will probably not be available on DVD - at least
    >>anytime soon. I got the tape - comlete with the coupon that had an
    >>expiration date of 1994 - and transfered it to DVD.
    >>
    >>A VHS copy is better than nothing at all. And I've only bought
    >>about 20 commerical VHS tapes in the 20+ years I've owned VCRs.
    >>

    > Thats what i had to do with a concert tape of "STYX, Caught in The Act"
    >
    > No DVD exists

    While, more to the point, I've had to DVD-R some of my no-DVD VHS tapes
    to keep them from disintegrating--

    (And on that note, thank you, MGM, for finally putting "The Thin Blue
    Line" on indestructable commercial DVD, but there's still that "Electric
    Dreams" thing to work out...)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 17, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    kaboom <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:55:00 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >>In article <>,
    >>kaboom <> wrote:

    >>>**Hi Bill! Where did you get the tape? Currently, I'm trying to
    >>>collect Linda Hamilton stuff and a lot of it is on out-of-print VHS
    >>>tapes. Movies like TAG--The Assassination Game, a lovely, early 80s
    >>>piece of cheese that I actually remember watching on HBO a million
    >>>years ago. Any suggestions?

    >>Actually you can find all sorts of out-of-print things by going
    >>to the 'used' or 'z-shops' at Amazon. Other times it's just
    >>searching on the 'net until something comes up.

    >**I've only purchased one item online. In January I bought a
    >multisystem VCR with a PAL/NTSC converter (I was desperate for one). I
    >wish I was more fearless at purchasing online. Since I really do want
    >some of these flicks, I probably will do so or rope my co-worker into
    >doing it for me. :) I've seen those used or z-shops, do you use them
    >often?

    I use z-shops and/or the used vendors from the Amazon page. And
    since the payments are processed through Amazon they will make sure
    everything is OK.

    I had one item that never showed up. I emailed the vendor and did
    not get a reply in two days so I emailed Amazon. They contacted
    the vendor and also credited my account for the purchase. The also
    forward the note from the vendor that if the item ever did show up
    I could keep it - free of charge.

    I've only had that one problem. And since most of the books I get
    are technical or out-of-the-maintream, I seldom use Amazon for
    books. Tech books I get from bookpool.com, and others I perform
    searches at abebooks.com - which is a database of about 40,000+
    used book dealers around the world. I found one book I was looking
    for at $3.00 US but with shipping from Europe - and estimated 6
    weeks, I spent $1.00 more and got at 5 times the price but only
    $3.00 shipping from California.

    Research the places you buy from and check if they are reputable.
    I have only bought one thing from E-bay. Too many people that
    don't have store-fronts [real or virtual] to back them up so it's
    almost like pig-in-a-poke.

    >>>In keeping with the topic, I have very few commercial VHS tapes
    >>>but I do tons of recording and re-recording. Yes, I do have
    >>>a DVD recorder so no "get a DVD recorder" comments from the
    >>>peanut gallery, thank you very much ;) Maybe it's a nail in the
    >>>coffin of commercial tapes but I still like using my VCRs.

    >>I have tons of tapes to eventually transfer - some dating back to
    >>1977.

    >**Aaaaaaaah, a good year :) At the Motorcity Comic Con, this May, I
    >picked up a DVD-R of a 1978 Olivia Newton John special (w/Andy Gibb
    >and ABBA). Yea, so I'm an ABBA fan ;)

    By dating back to 1977 - I mean tapes I recorded off the air on
    my SL-7200 Sony Beta - in Beta I mode - as there was no other mode.

    I just xfered from 1980 VHS tapes [ made on my 20 pound portable
    camera outfit ] and they were fine too.

    >I have tons of tapes to transfer, also. And after getting all the
    >equipment to do so, I've realized that I need.......more time! My DVD
    >recorder needs a button that grants me several extra, stress-free
    >hours in the day to do more things. My Panny e85 has gone all wonky
    >and I'm debating bringing it in to Circuit City (warranty) to have
    >them fix it. I'm thinking about getting a Pioneer.

    I know about needing more time. And a friend just called me from
    Indianaopolis - and he had forgotten to set his Tivo for something
    on Speed Channel today - a special prior to the Indy Forumla race -
    and it has a segment where he was being interviewed. Real people
    are often better than some machine when you forget to set them :)

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Jun 17, 2005