the joys of the new MS Vista EULA....ho....ho....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Nov 2, 2006

  2. thingy wrote:
    > lol........how anal can you get...you can transfer your Vista licence
    > once to new hardware....so I wonder at what point that once
    > occurs....new HD? want a new CPU or motherboard later on? tough, shell
    > out for a new Vista licence thanks....
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420/1
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=158
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Is that not any different to XP?
    Andrew Lambert, Nov 2, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> lol........how anal can you get...you can transfer your Vista licence
    >> once to new hardware....so I wonder at what point that once
    >> occurs....new HD? want a new CPU or motherboard later on? tough, shell
    >> out for a new Vista licence thanks....
    >>
    >> http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420/1
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=158
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Is that not any different to XP?

    The Eula for XP never specifically said one upgrade....but that
    apparantly is what it meant to say....somewhat best described as badly
    worded....which is interesting for what is a supposed legal document...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 2, 2006
  4. thingy

    a Guest

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=166
    a, Nov 2, 2006
  5. thingy

    Mutlley Guest

    thingy <> wrote:

    >lol........how anal can you get...you can transfer your Vista licence
    >once to new hardware....so I wonder at what point that once
    >occurs....new HD? want a new CPU or motherboard later on? tough, shell
    >out for a new Vista licence thanks....
    >
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420/1
    >
    >http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=158
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Mother board I believe and it will not activate if the MOBO is changed
    more than once where as XP doesn't care at this point. However Billy
    boy and his money grabbers will no doubt close that loop hole as well.
    Mutlley, Nov 3, 2006
  6. thingy

    Mutley Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote:

    >thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >>lol........how anal can you get...you can transfer your Vista licence
    >>once to new hardware....so I wonder at what point that once
    >>occurs....new HD? want a new CPU or motherboard later on? tough, shell
    >>out for a new Vista licence thanks....
    >>
    >>http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420/1
    >>
    >>http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=158
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    >Mother board I believe and it will not activate if the MOBO is changed
    >more than once where as XP doesn't care at this point. However Billy
    >boy and his money grabbers will no doubt close that loop hole as well.

    However in saying that it would appear that M$ has bowed to pressure
    and changed their minds on this..

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/index.php?p=166&tag=nl.e589
    Microsoft changes Vista license terms
    Mutley, Nov 3, 2006
  7. thingy

    Max Burke Guest

    > Mutlley scribbled:
    > Mother board I believe and it will not activate if the MOBO is changed
    > more than once where as XP doesn't care at this point. However Billy
    > boy and his money grabbers will no doubt close that loop hole as well.

    It only becomes their money when YOU voluntarily and willingly give it to
    them. YOU dont have to do that you know. Why dont you tell me why you'd
    buy a product when you didn't like (or want to comply with) the sellers
    terms and conditions of you buying and using that product?

    It seems a tad stupid to me if that's what you're complaining about. (and it
    is)

    Dont like Microsofts EULA? Then dont buy the product. It really is that
    easy.....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Nov 3, 2006
  8. thingy

    steve Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > lol........how anal can you get...you can transfer your Vista licence
    > once to new hardware....so I wonder at what point that once
    > occurs....new HD? want a new CPU or motherboard later on? tough, shell
    > out for a new Vista licence thanks....
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420/1
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=158
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    .....and the sheeple will put up with it rather than learn new things and
    set themselves free.

    Psychologists should be studying the reaction to this very closely.
    steve, Nov 3, 2006
  9. thingy

    steve Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Dont like Microsofts EULA? Then dont buy the product. It really is that
    > easy.....

    No....it isn't that easy.

    Buying a bare PC (no OS) from a major vendor is very difficult and very
    few major vendors offer any choice other than Windows.

    Even if they sell you the bare system, they will almost certainly charge
    for the Windows license you don't want....as that is the deal they have
    (usually secretly) signed with Microsoft.

    When Vista comes out, it will be the only choice before too much time
    has passed.

    Not easy.
    steve, Nov 3, 2006
  10. thingy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Dont like Microsofts EULA? Then dont buy the product. It really is that
    > easy.....

    It is not that easy.

    WGA was in no way part of the original EULA for Windows 2000.

    MS unilaterally changed the terms of the license, five? years after the
    product was released! The user has no recourse, and in most situations
    will have to accept the new license.
    -=rjh=-, Nov 3, 2006
  11. thingy

    Max Burke Guest

    > -=rjh=- scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >> Dont like Microsofts EULA? Then dont buy the product. It really is
    >> that easy.....

    > It is not that easy.
    > WGA was in no way part of the original EULA for Windows 2000.
    > MS unilaterally changed the terms of the license, five? years after
    > the product was released! The user has no recourse, and in most
    > situations will have to accept the new license.

    Let me re-phrase that....

    Dont like the EULA AND WGA? Then dont use the product.
    You can even unilaterally stop using the product and Microsoft cant do a
    damned thing about that.

    It really IS that easy.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Nov 4, 2006
  12. In message <>, steve wrote:

    > Buying a bare PC (no OS) from a major vendor is very difficult and very
    > few major vendors offer any choice other than Windows.

    Perhaps it's just as well, then, that major vendors do not account for the
    majority of the PC market.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2006
  13. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 07:37:25 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > MS unilaterally changed the terms of the license, five? years after the
    > product was released! The user has no recourse, and in most situations
    > will have to accept the new license.

    Why?

    A contract/licence cannot be unilaterally change after it has been agreed.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Nov 4, 2006
  14. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:34:45 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    > Dont like the EULA AND WGA? Then dont use the product.
    > You can even unilaterally stop using the product and Microsoft cant do a
    > damned thing about that.
    >
    > It really IS that easy.

    Agreed. - and there are several superior alternatives to M$ Windows now
    available.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Nov 4, 2006
  15. thingy

    Max Burke Guest

    > MaHogany scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >> Dont like the EULA AND WGA? Then dont use the product.
    >> You can even unilaterally stop using the product and Microsoft cant
    >> do a damned thing about that.
    >> It really IS that easy.

    > Agreed. - and there are several superior alternatives to M$ Windows
    > now available.

    Several alternatives? Sure.

    Superior? That's a matter of opinion...

    ;-)

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Nov 4, 2006
  16. On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:34:45 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    > Let me re-phrase that....
    >
    > Dont like the EULA AND WGA? Then dont use the product.
    > You can even unilaterally stop using the product and Microsoft cant do a
    > damned thing about that.
    >
    > It really IS that easy.

    Not if apps your business reply on are only available on a M$ OS. That
    means finding an acceptable replacement, and training your users to use
    it, then migrating all your data and projects over. Even if the new OS and
    apps are all free this is not going to be cheap.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <>
    Rupert Boleyn, Nov 5, 2006
  17. thingy

    Peter Guest

    Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    > Not if apps your business reply on are only available on a M$ OS. That
    > means finding an acceptable replacement, and training your users to use
    > it, then migrating all your data and projects over. Even if the new OS and
    > apps are all free this is not going to be cheap.

    It's called a monopoly - get used to it.
    Just be happy in the knowledge that this monopoly power enables Microsoft to
    extract massive profits from vast numbers of victims^h^h^h customers.
    Our Commerce Commission, which is supposed to protect consumers from such
    monopoly abuse, doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it.

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 6, 2006
  18. thingy

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <eimt2p$9ug$>,
    Peter <> wrote:

    > Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    > > Not if apps your business reply on are only available on a M$ OS. That
    > > means finding an acceptable replacement, and training your users to use
    > > it, then migrating all your data and projects over. Even if the new OS and
    > > apps are all free this is not going to be cheap.

    > It's called a monopoly - get used to it.
    > Just be happy in the knowledge that this monopoly power enables Microsoft to
    > extract massive profits from vast numbers of victims^h^h^h customers.
    > Our Commerce Commission, which is supposed to protect consumers from such
    > monopoly abuse, doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it.
    >

    > Peter

    What monopoly ?
    There are multiple
    OS Choices
    Application choices
    Hardware choices

    Exactly WHERE is the monopoly ???
    Who Am I, Nov 6, 2006
  19. thingy

    Max Burke Guest

    > Who Am I scribbled:

    > Peter <> wrote:

    >> It's called a monopoly - get used to it.
    >> Just be happy in the knowledge that this monopoly power enables
    >> Microsoft to extract massive profits from vast numbers of
    >> victims^h^h^h customers.
    >> Our Commerce Commission, which is supposed to protect consumers
    >> from such monopoly abuse, doesn't seem interested in doing anything
    >> about it.

    > What monopoly ?
    > There are multiple
    > OS Choices
    > Application choices
    > Hardware choices
    > Exactly WHERE is the monopoly ???

    In Peter's Linux addled mind.

    It is (going by the obsessive ranting of many Linux users about Microsoft) a
    requirement to be a Linux user. You have to beleive that Microsoft is the
    equivalent of the 'great satan' to be a true linux user...

    ;-)

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Nov 7, 2006
  20. thingy

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <>, "Max Burke" <>
    wrote:

    > > Who Am I scribbled:

    > > Peter <> wrote:

    > >> It's called a monopoly - get used to it.
    > >> Just be happy in the knowledge that this monopoly power enables
    > >> Microsoft to extract massive profits from vast numbers of
    > >> victims^h^h^h customers.
    > >> Our Commerce Commission, which is supposed to protect consumers
    > >> from such monopoly abuse, doesn't seem interested in doing anything
    > >> about it.

    > > What monopoly ?
    > > There are multiple
    > > OS Choices
    > > Application choices
    > > Hardware choices
    > > Exactly WHERE is the monopoly ???

    > In Peter's Linux addled mind.
    >
    > It is (going by the obsessive ranting of many Linux users about Microsoft) a
    > requirement to be a Linux user. You have to beleive that Microsoft is the
    > equivalent of the 'great satan' to be a true linux user...
    >
    > ;-)

    Well I am not a linux user, not a microsoft one. Mind you I al also old
    enough to have used TRS-80s when they were new and remember the hay-day
    of computers where there were hundreds of different brands of hardware
    and OS's. I have the source code for some, service manuals for some and
    appreciate access to them. Open source was common back then too, linux
    is certainly NOT the be all and end all of OSS.

    Personally I do not care about the difference between OSS and Closed
    Source, what I DO care about is useability. The most expensive part of
    the computer is the person at the keyboard. For example, many lawyers
    charge at $300/hr (some $1000/hr!), if I can make that person 1 MINUTE
    more productive each week then over a year they have made an extra
    (rounding up a little) $300-1000. SO, If I get him to buy an application
    for $500 and he uses it for 3 years then we are ahead of the game by
    between $400-2500.

    Too much of the OSS community works on the basis that a persons time has
    ZERO value, that may be true for them, but it is NOT true for the people
    I work with/for. If I believe that Linux/Windows/Mac OSX is the best
    option for that user then that is what I recommend. By also giving then
    something that they are familiar with, they also have less need for ME,
    which means I can support more people so the overall costs of ownership
    for each machine is reduced.

    What I DO believe in though is that Data formats and Network protocols
    need to be open, after all the data created belongs to the owner, NOT
    Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Red Hat, etc etc etc.

    IF OSS can supply the best software that is more useable, then we will
    use it, if it comes as a commercial package, we will use that instead
    because I understand that the cost of software is the cheapest part of
    the system.
    Who Am I, Nov 7, 2006