The joys of open source...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Feb 8, 2009.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Ok, I use tool A to create a file in a particular format. It's a XML
    file that an app reads to initialise itself. I discover that there's a
    small thing (ST) it doesn't do. OK fire up tool B which creates the same
    format of XML file (in theory), add the ST and save. Go back to tool A
    and a whole section is missing! Re-add the section and the ST is no
    longer there. OK, repeat the whole thing (in case it was thick-fingered
    user error) and get the same results. Sigh! Visit the developers web
    sites and discover that at least one of them hasn't had an update for a
    couple of years! Nevertheless fire off error reports to both....

    Solution is a little Perl script to read the XML file produced by tool A
    and add the ST in the appropriate place....

    Of course, in Windows there would only be tool A and what was in the XML
    file would be spread throughout the registry.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Go the girls! Bring back the Rose Bowl!
    Enkidu, Feb 8, 2009

  2. Enkidu

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-02-08, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Ok, I use tool A to create a file in a particular format. It's a XML
    > file that an app reads to initialise itself. I discover that there's a
    > small thing (ST) it doesn't do. OK fire up tool B which creates the same
    > format of XML file (in theory), add the ST and save. Go back to tool A
    > and a whole section is missing! Re-add the section and the ST is no
    > longer there. OK, repeat the whole thing (in case it was thick-fingered
    > user error) and get the same results. Sigh! Visit the developers web
    > sites and discover that at least one of them hasn't had an update for a
    > couple of years! Nevertheless fire off error reports to both....
    >
    > Solution is a little Perl script to read the XML file produced by tool A
    > and add the ST in the appropriate place....
    >
    > Of course, in Windows there would only be tool A and what was in the XML
    > file would be spread throughout the registry.

    Maybe, but then an XML file is of an open format.

    I agree it is somewhat frustrating to find that the piece of OSS one uses
    has been abandoned by the developer. Nevertheless the source is left, should
    someone wish to pick it up and run with it.

    OSS, has abandoned programmes all over the place. For what ever reason they
    have dropped out from development. Others power on like there is no
    tomorrow.

    Evolution is the out come
    Gordon, Feb 8, 2009

  3. Enkidu

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Feb 8, 2:12 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Ok, I use tool A to create a file in a particular format. It's a XML
    > file that an app reads to initialise itself. I discover that there's a
    > small thing (ST) it doesn't do. OK fire up tool B which creates the same
    > format of XML file (in theory), add the ST and save. Go back to tool A
    > and a whole section is missing! Re-add the section and the ST is no
    > longer there. OK, repeat the whole thing (in case it was thick-fingered
    > user error) and get the same results. Sigh! Visit the developers web
    > sites and discover that at least one of them hasn't had an update for a
    > couple of years! Nevertheless fire off error reports to both....
    >
    > Solution is a little Perl script to read the XML file produced by tool A
    > and add the ST in the appropriate place....
    >
    > Of course, in Windows there would only be tool A and what was in the XML
    > file would be spread throughout the registry.

    MS makes a free XML editor, XML Notepad 2007

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en

    Not sure if it handles the ST (Security Target?) you're after or not.
    Craig Shore, Feb 8, 2009
  4. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Feb 8, 2:12 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Ok, I use tool A to create a file in a particular format. It's a XML
    >> file that an app reads to initialise itself. I discover that there's a
    >> small thing (ST) it doesn't do. OK fire up tool B which creates the same
    >> format of XML file (in theory), add the ST and save. Go back to tool A
    >> and a whole section is missing! Re-add the section and the ST is no
    >> longer there. OK, repeat the whole thing (in case it was thick-fingered
    >> user error) and get the same results. Sigh! Visit the developers web
    >> sites and discover that at least one of them hasn't had an update for a
    >> couple of years! Nevertheless fire off error reports to both....
    >>
    >> Solution is a little Perl script to read the XML file produced by tool A
    >> and add the ST in the appropriate place....
    >>
    >> Of course, in Windows there would only be tool A and what was in the XML
    >> file would be spread throughout the registry.

    > MS makes a free XML editor, XML Notepad 2007
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en
    >
    > Not sure if it handles the ST (Security Target?) you're after or not.

    ST = 'small thing'. I don't need an XML editor. I can do that in 'vi' or
    'notepad'. The two tools create a file which is used by another app -
    it's much faster to use the tools than create the XML from scratch.

    I use XML Spy when I want to do serious XML editing on Windows.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Go the girls! Bring back the Rose Bowl!