THE JOLSON STORY: Moviemaking at its best!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Until Monday, I had never seen _The Jolson Story_, or even heard of
    it. Fortunately, I read Fred Hunter's review of this movie on his
    Classics on DVD site and got it into my Netflix queue just in time to
    have it sent out yesterday. It arrived today, it's playing now and I
    have already decided to buy it tomorrow.

    You may own a copy of Al Jolson's "Toot, Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye" if you
    have _Bullets Over Broadway_ or the latest MGM double-disk version of
    _Singin' In The Rain_.

    In _Bullets Over Broadway_, Al Jolson is featured singing this immortal
    song in the opening credits. In the _Singin' in the Rain_ special
    features, Al Jolson's "Toot, Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye" is prominently
    featured in the "Singin' Inspirations" section, which can also be
    accessed individually as Titles 10-19. The Al Jolson clip of "Toot,
    Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye", found at Title 17. This is a clip taken right
    out of _The Jazz Singer_ , so there is video to go along with the audio:

    "Wait a minute! Wait a minute! You ain't heard nothin' yet. Wait a
    minute, I tell ya! You ain't heard nothin'! You wanna hear Toot, Toot,
    Tootsie? All right! Hold on!"

    It doesn't get much better than this, unless you have Columbia's newly
    released DVD version of _The Jolson Story_. In _The Jolson Story_, a
    blacked-up minstrel -- who formally sang spirituals and hymns --
    collides head on the Jazz Age. After that, it was faster tempo and more
    rhythm for Al Jolson.

    _The Jolson Story_ is thoroughly entertaining and highly recommended.

    http://www.classicsondvd.com/jolsonstory.htm

    Scot Gardner, Nov 6, 2003

  2. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 20:13:27 -0800, "Scot Gardner" <>
    wrote:

    >Until Monday, I had never seen _The Jolson Story_, or even heard of
    >it. Fortunately, I read Fred Hunter's review of this movie on his
    >Classics on DVD site and got it into my Netflix queue just in time to
    >have it sent out yesterday. It arrived today, it's playing now and I
    >have already decided to buy it tomorrow.
    >
    >You may own a copy of Al Jolson's "Toot, Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye" if you
    >have _Bullets Over Broadway_ or the latest MGM double-disk version of
    >_Singin' In The Rain_.
    >
    >In _Bullets Over Broadway_, Al Jolson is featured singing this immortal
    >song in the opening credits. In the _Singin' in the Rain_ special
    >features, Al Jolson's "Toot, Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye" is prominently
    >featured in the "Singin' Inspirations" section, which can also be
    >accessed individually as Titles 10-19. The Al Jolson clip of "Toot,
    >Toot, Tootsie, Goodbye", found at Title 17. This is a clip taken right
    >out of _The Jazz Singer_ , so there is video to go along with the audio:
    >
    >"Wait a minute! Wait a minute! You ain't heard nothin' yet. Wait a
    >minute, I tell ya! You ain't heard nothin'! You wanna hear Toot, Toot,
    >Tootsie? All right! Hold on!"
    >
    >It doesn't get much better than this, unless you have Columbia's newly
    >released DVD version of _The Jolson Story_. In _The Jolson Story_, a
    >blacked-up minstrel -- who formally sang spirituals and hymns --
    >collides head on the Jazz Age. After that, it was faster tempo and more
    >rhythm for Al Jolson.

    Remember that Jolson's "The Jazz SInger" is slated for release as
    another Warner Special Edition. The two-disc set will include some
    recently restored Vitaphone shorts as well the Holy Grail of short
    subjects, "A Plantation Act" the pre-"Jazz Singer" short which FIRST
    has Jolson saying "You ain't heard nothin' yet!" This short was
    featured on the Vitaphone box set #2 on Laser.

    Now that Technicolor elements have been found and restored for "Mame"
    there is some talk about a theatrical run of that film followed by a
    video release. The sound will be restored from Vitaphone discs,
    replacing the 1930's disc to film track that was made in the early
    1930's. The films will look and sound WAAAY better than it did on the
    Al Jolson collection laserdiscs!

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 6, 2003

  3. I Brought this one and its sequel "Jolson Sings Again" which picks up
    where "The Jolson Story" ended.
    More great Jolson songs and in this one Jolson meets Parks
    Both of these films had a substantial influence in re-introducing Al Jolson to
    a younger generation and boosting his career again.
    As a sidenote, Ruby Keeler, who was Jolson's first wife and was played by Evelyn Keyes,
    threatened to sue Columbia if they used her real name in this film so the studio changed it to "Julie Benson"
    Pick up "Jolson Sings Again" and really enjoy both films.

    J. Alfred Prufrock, Nov 6, 2003
  4. I'm going to be looking for both those DVD's. I love Jolson.
    When I was younger, back in the 50's, there was a singer by the
    name of Norman Brooks. He never made it big 'cause he sounded
    exactly like Jolson. That was his voice. People felt he was imitating
    Jolie so his career fizzled.

    Jolson also pissed off Truman when he made a visit to Korea.
    Still tho' he was quite the entertainer!!!

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    <<Remember that Jolson's "The Jazz Singer" is slated for release as
    another Warner Special Edition. The two-disc set will include some
    recently restored Vitaphone shorts as well the Holy Grail of short
    subjects, "A Plantation Act" the pre-"Jazz Singer" short which FIRST has
    Jolson saying "You ain't heard nothin' yet!" This short was featured on
    the Vitaphone box set #2 on Laser.>>

    <<Now that Technicolor elements have been found and restored for "Mame"
    there is some talk about a theatrical run of that film followed by a
    video release. The sound will be restored from Vitaphone discs,
    replacing the 1930's disc to film track that was made in the early
    1930's. The films will look and sound WAAAY better than it did on the
    Al Jolson collection laserdiscs! . Steve ..>>

    This is great news. And here's a timely item that Al Jolson fans might
    want to know about:

    "Al Jolson died after sundown on October 23, 1950, which corresponded to
    the Hebrew date Cheshvan 13. This year, Cheshvan 13 falls on Saturday,
    November 8th. Jolson fans of the Jewish faith are encouraged to honor
    his memory with the recitation of the Kaddish on this day if possible,
    and all devotes of the World's Greatest Entertainer can light a memorial
    candle before sundown on Friday, November 7th to the memory of the
    Immortal Al Jolson."

    http://www.jolson.org/

    Scot Gardner, Nov 7, 2003
  6. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    <<I Brought this one and its sequel "Jolson Sings Again" which picks up
    where "The Jolson Story" ended. More great Jolson songs and in this one
    Jolson meets Parks Both of these films had a substantial influence in
    re-introducing Al Jolson to a younger generation and boosting his career
    again.>>

    <<As a sidenote, Ruby Keeler, who was Jolson's first wife and was played
    by Evelyn Keyes, threatened to sue Columbia if they used her real name
    in this film so the studio changed it to "Julie Benson" Pick up "Jolson
    Sings Again" and really enjoy both films.>>

    Hopefully, Netflix will ship _Jolson Sings Again_ today. I plan to order
    both titles from Amazon and take advantage of their free shipping.

    I'm embarrassed to admit that, in addition to originally not knowing the
    existence of _The Jolson Story_, I was unaware of the existence of its
    sequel. However, it did seem a rather abrupt ending to have Jolson's
    wife just walk out the door in the first movie. If Netflix will ship the
    sequel today, I will have it for the weekend.

    Before seeing _The Jolson Story_, Evelyn Keyes was memorable to me only
    for her performance as Scarlett O'Hara's sister in _Gone With the Wind_.
    Apparently, the Jolson movies take a few liberties with Jolson's
    personal life, because he had 4 wives, not just the 2 shown in the
    movies. Also, Jolson's mother died when he was approximately 9
    (apparently, nobody knows exactly when he was born), so it is unclear
    who the Moma Yoelson character represents in the movies. (Maybe his
    stepmother?)

    From the Jolson website:

    "The man we know as Al Jolson, was born Asa Yoelson in the 1880s. (There
    were no birth certificates in those days although the year is generally
    accepted to have been 1885. He chose May 26th as his birthday because he
    liked the idea of being born in spring). He emigated with his family
    from their native villlage of Srednik in Russian Lithuania and settled
    in Washington DC."

    "His beloved mother died when he was nine, an event which haunted him
    throughout the rest of his life, and he and his elder brother defied
    their cantor father and ran away from home to seek their fortunes on the
    fringes of show business."

    http://www.jolson.org/

    Scot Gardner, Nov 7, 2003