The intarweb is falling!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10434855&ref=rss
    Internet outage hits tens of thousands

    Broadband customers across the country were left hanging for five hours
    after a routine overnight upgrade to Telecom's internet network crashed the
    system.

    Telecom estimate tens of thousands of customers lost access to broadband at
    about 5.30 this morning until service was restored at 10.35am.

    A second 20-minute outage occurred between about 11.20am and 11.40am when
    Telecom restarted its broadband systems.

    Telecom spokesperson Sarah Berry said they were still investigating the
    source of the fault which affected customers nationwide.

    "We suspect it is a fault with a router in Auckland," said Berry.

    __EOP__

    erm, a single router?
    Shane, Apr 18, 2007

  2. Shane

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <f045vj$p5p$>, -a-geek.net
    says...
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10434855&ref=rss
    > Internet outage hits tens of thousands
    >
    > Broadband customers across the country were left hanging for five hours
    > after a routine overnight upgrade to Telecom's internet network crashed the
    > system.
    >
    > Telecom estimate tens of thousands of customers lost access to broadband at
    > about 5.30 this morning until service was restored at 10.35am.
    >
    > A second 20-minute outage occurred between about 11.20am and 11.40am when
    > Telecom restarted its broadband systems.
    >
    > Telecom spokesperson Sarah Berry said they were still investigating the
    > source of the fault which affected customers nationwide.
    >
    > "We suspect it is a fault with a router in Auckland," said Berry.
    >
    > __EOP__
    >
    > erm, a single router?

    LOL - her advice as reported on the Radio NZ web site was to reboot your
    computer!

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Apr 18, 2007

  3. Shane

    XPD Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Telecom estimate tens of thousands of customers lost access to broadband
    > at
    > about 5.30 this morning until service was restored at 10.35am.
    >
    > A second 20-minute outage occurred between about 11.20am and 11.40am when
    > Telecom restarted its broadband systems.

    I didnt actually get access till about 1pm.
    Then it died again a few more times.........
    XPD, Apr 18, 2007
  4. Shane

    Richard Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > LOL - her advice as reported on the Radio NZ web site was to reboot your
    > computer!

    Standard response from anyone at telecom to any internet problem
    Richard, Apr 18, 2007
  5. Shane

    rising Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> LOL - her advice as reported on the Radio NZ web site was to reboot your
    >> computer!

    > Standard response from anyone at telecom to any internet problem

    Same policy as world exchange(xnet) and clearnet.
    rising, Apr 18, 2007
  6. Shane

    EMB Guest

    rising wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> LOL - her advice as reported on the Radio NZ web site was to reboot your
    >>> computer!

    >> Standard response from anyone at telecom to any internet problem

    > Same policy as world exchange(xnet) and clearnet.

    and maxnet
    EMB, Apr 18, 2007
  7. Shane

    Ross Guest

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:55:42 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> LOL - her advice as reported on the Radio NZ web site was to reboot your
    >> computer!

    >Standard response from anyone at telecom to any internet problem

    Resettting your computer can be a great fix for this and other
    application anomalies. YMMV.

    Expecially if (like me) any of the following apply:
    - you are running Win9x
    - you have poor quality hardware
    - you are overclocking
    - the computer is full of dust