The innocence of childhood is no more

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by William Graham, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message

    > The innocence of childhood is, as far as i'm concerned, no more.
    > I blame three things; the rotten Murdoch press, the BNP and their "vote
    > for us or all those paeds everywhere will rape your kiddies" rhetoric,
    > which must've been revved up lately since it's local elections these
    > days, and the amazing preponderance of stupidity at a mass scale that
    > never ceases to amaze me!

    It's not all their fault. don't forget that political correctness started in
    the 70's with the liberals. Yes, today the religious right is using it to
    push their tight lipped, narrow minded policies, but it still started with
    the greenies forcing me to quit smoking and even forcing the local
    bartenders to keep smokers out on the street. Interference in other people's
    affairs is not now, nor has it ever been, the exclusive policy of the
    religious right....The Libs have been doing it to me all of my
    life........In 1985, I bought a motorcycle so I could get fresh air and
    sunshine on my psoriasis-covered noggin, and the libs made a helmet law soon
    afterward that made it a waste of time, so I had to buy a
    convertible......And I can give you lots of other examples of how they have
    screwed around in my personal affairs, too.........As a matter of fact, we
    seem to oscillate back and forth between two political factions whose
    agenda's both seem to be, "Let's find out what Bill Graham likes to do, and
    then make a law against it."

    William Graham, Apr 30, 2006

  2. William Graham

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Henley wrote:
    > The innocence of childhood is, as far as i'm concerned, no more.
    >
    > Yesterday I was typing in the library on my palm's keyboard, trying to
    > tidy up some stuff I had been working on over the past year, to send
    > to a publisher, when a kid, perhaps 6-8, approached me with obvious
    > excitement and yelled "cool computer!". He seemed very intrigued and
    > excited, I guess he hadn't seen one before. A few years ago, back in
    > the innocent days, I would've joked with the kid and perhaps let him
    > play with it. After all, when I was a kid I was very nerdy, I can
    > relate to that. But alas, not these days! After a reflexive smile the
    > thought suddenly hit me "wait, if i let him play with the palm I might
    > be suspected by some idiot of "grooming" him or whatever; these are
    > some very dumb times!"..

    <Good stuff snipped>

    I absolutely agree with you, Mike, and have voiced similar sadness about the
    loss of basic trust in humanity, and the resulting loss of a "magic"
    connection to children everywhere. I remember knowing "grown-ups" who were
    near-strangers in my neighborhood who were always available for a glass of
    water...or perhaps an orange from their tree if we simply knocked, and
    asked. If we crashed on our bikes, they were good for a band-aid and help
    in putting it on. Those days are gone, and it truly saddens me.

    I ran accross a little note I scribbled while walking through a picturesque
    area of Balboa Park about 15 years ago. I was struck by the sense of magic
    and wonder in a group of kids that were apparently there on a field trip, or
    perhaps a day-care picnic of some sort.
    Here's the note:

    BALBOA PARK, MARCH 6,1990

    Harp music being played by the goldfish pond
    Children running and crashing on the ground
    Grass stained knees
    Bubbles floating through with the hands of
    children batting at them, smiling
    Teachers and classmates on the lawn.
    Skinned knees and torn band-aids.
    Curious and fascinated eyes.
    Birds singing.
    Sunny day.
    Cool breeze.
    Magic.
    Childhood.
    --------------

    I think its a basic--perhaps essential--part of the fully grown, mature
    adult mind to want to somehow re-connect with our own youth, and remember
    the parks, playgrounds and merry-go-rounds of our past. This same
    remembrance is visited in reality by the simple act of the innocent
    befriending of children.It saddens me that so much of this is now seemingly
    lost forever.

    -Mark²

    Mark², Apr 30, 2006

  3. William Graham

    ½ Confused Guest

    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > It saddens me that so much of this is now seemingly lost forever.

    If that bothers you, wait until you find out the true motives of the
    people behind the "Great American Boycott" on May 1st. The
    instigators behind the invasion gave a series of 'by invitation only'
    speeches (about 12 in all) at Alvera Street (for the enthinic punch of
    the sound bytes) and I happend on it by chance. Well, I was in
    public, they were in public, it was well layed out, but no one
    appeared until a couple minutes before it started.

    The only give-away was 5 video cameras lined up in a semi circle
    pointing to a small cluster of logo'd mics on a stand. I parked my
    wheelchair at the left end of the video line, turned on an audio
    recorder, and captured the visuals with a 5D.

    The way they exploited little children was sickening. The dictator
    style revolutionary attitude was angering. The saddest part is that
    the speeches will not be aired, in entirety, anywhere, especially in
    the USA. They are very confident, though, because "85 percent of the
    people are with them".

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, May 1, 2006
  4. William Graham

    Mark² Guest

    ½ Confused wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >> It saddens me that so much of this is now seemingly lost forever.

    > If that bothers you, wait until you find out the true motives of the
    > people behind the "Great American Boycott" on May 1st. The
    > instigators behind the invasion gave a series of 'by invitation only'
    > speeches (about 12 in all) at Alvera Street (for the enthinic punch of
    > the sound bytes) and I happend on it by chance. Well, I was in
    > public, they were in public, it was well layed out, but no one
    > appeared until a couple minutes before it started.
    >
    > The only give-away was 5 video cameras lined up in a semi circle
    > pointing to a small cluster of logo'd mics on a stand. I parked my
    > wheelchair at the left end of the video line, turned on an audio
    > recorder, and captured the visuals with a 5D.
    >
    > The way they exploited little children was sickening. The dictator
    > style revolutionary attitude was angering. The saddest part is that
    > the speeches will not be aired, in entirety, anywhere, especially in
    > the USA. They are very confident, though, because "85 percent of the
    > people are with them".
    >
    > Jeff

    Jeff,

    How were they exploited? -You mean the old, "look at these poor starving
    children" sort of thing?
    Next question... How can I get ahold of those tape recordings? :)

    Finally... I wasn't aware that you use a wheelchair. I am interested to
    understand the situation there. How long has that been so?

    -Mark

    Mark², May 1, 2006
  5. William Graham

    ½ Confused Guest

    On Mon, 1 May 2006 01:19:46 -0700
    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > ½ Confused wrote:
    > > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > >> It saddens me that so much of this is now seemingly lost forever.

    > > If that bothers you, wait until you find out the true motives of the
    > > people behind the "Great American Boycott" on May 1st. The
    > > instigators behind the invasion gave a series of 'by invitation only'
    > > speeches (about 12 in all) at Alvera Street (for the enthinic punch of
    > > the sound bytes) and I happend on it by chance. Well, I was in
    > > public, they were in public, it was well layed out, but no one
    > > appeared until a couple minutes before it started.
    > >
    > > The only give-away was 5 video cameras lined up in a semi circle
    > > pointing to a small cluster of logo'd mics on a stand. I parked my
    > > wheelchair at the left end of the video line, turned on an audio
    > > recorder, and captured the visuals with a 5D.
    > >
    > > The way they exploited little children was sickening. The dictator
    > > style revolutionary attitude was angering. The saddest part is that
    > > the speeches will not be aired, in entirety, anywhere, especially in
    > > the USA. They are very confident, though, because "85 percent of the
    > > people are with them".

    > Jeff,
    >
    > How were they exploited? -You mean the old,
    > "look at these poor starving children" sort of thing?

    Well, there was a poor kid in some other country with cancer; bush's
    fault; and I'm thinking about how multi-lingual mandates has effected
    the medical care in this country, specifically mis-communicated
    information that shortened my wife's battle with cancer.

    But no, I mean as in the old "child as bling thing". Under other
    circumstances pointing a camera at them could be a no no BECAUSE I'M
    WHITE AND DON'T SPEAK SPANISH. (Racism is rampant.)

    > Next question... How can I get ahold of those tape recordings? :)

    The 10 second sound byte deemed politically correct is on Fox 11. :)

    Actually, I need to fade into sleep and get to ground zero tomorrow.

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, May 1, 2006
  6. William Graham

    Guest

    Have you seen the work of Sally Mann? I would love to see something
    like that get published today. Take photos of what you like and hold
    the moral highground whenever your accused of being a dirty old man!

    , May 1, 2006
  7. William Graham

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "Mike Henley" <> writes:

    > A few years ago, back in
    > the innocent days, I would've joked with the kid and perhaps let him
    > play with it. After all, when I was a kid I was very nerdy, I can
    > relate to that. But alas, not these days! After a reflexive smile the
    > thought suddenly hit me "wait, if i let him play with the palm I might
    > be suspected by some idiot of "grooming" him or whatever; these are
    > some very dumb times!"..

    Let him play with it anyway. Paranoid parents like myself can take
    reasonable precautions to safeguard our kids without cutting out all
    other adults. Life is too short not to interact with kids.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.

    Bruce Lewis, May 1, 2006
  8. William Graham

    no_name Guest

    wrote:

    > Have you seen the work of Sally Mann? I would love to see something
    > like that get published today. Take photos of what you like and hold
    > the moral highground whenever your accused of being a dirty old man!

    Or I guess in Sally's case, a dirty old woman.

    no_name, May 2, 2006
  9. William Graham

    Rob Novak Guest

    On 1 May 2006 11:51:31 -0700, wrote:

    >Have you seen the work of Sally Mann? I would love to see something
    >like that get published today. Take photos of what you like and hold
    >the moral highground whenever your accused of being a dirty old man!

    Hmm - odd thing. I was at the Corcoran in DC on Saturday, and they
    have a series of eight of Mann's prints displayed in their permanent
    photographic collection gallery. My first thought was "no way that'd
    be acceptable in today's climate," and the second was a brief twinge
    moment of apprehension about appearing "pervy" for scrutinizing them.

    Mann's use of natural lighting is absolutely gorgeous, though. Hers
    are the type of liquid-feeling B&W images I'd give up a limb to be
    able to produce consistently.
    --
    Central Maryland Photographer's Guild - http://www.cmpg.org
    Strange, Geometrical Hinges - http://sgh.rnovak.net

    Rob Novak, May 2, 2006
  10. William Graham

    Annika1980 Guest

    Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
    > Here's the note:
    >
    > BALBOA PARK, MARCH 6,1990
    >
    > Harp music being played by the goldfish pond
    > Children running and crashing on the ground
    > Grass stained knees
    > Bubbles floating through with the hands of
    > children batting at them, smiling
    > Teachers and classmates on the lawn.
    > Skinned knees and torn band-aids.
    > Curious and fascinated eyes.
    > Birds singing.
    > Sunny day.
    > Cool breeze.
    > Magic.
    > Childhood.
    > --------------

    If you wrote that today you'd get a free "I'M A PEDO!" t-shirt.

    Annika1980, May 2, 2006
  11. William Graham

    Annika1980 Guest

    > Have you seen the work of Sally Mann? I would love to see something
    > like that get published today. Take photos of what you like and hold
    > the moral highground whenever your accused of being a dirty old man!

    >Or I guess in Sally's case, a dirty old woman.

    Children wearing swimsuits are playing in a fountain in the park
    Nearby are three park benches. A middle-aged woman sits on one of them
    watching the kids.
    On the second bench sits an 80-year old man, also enjoying the
    activity.
    On the third bench enjoying the Summer day is a 40-something man with a
    camera.

    How long until the cops show up?
    Which bench do they go to?
    What's wrong with this picture?
    Will Canon ever make a cheap 400mm lens with IS?

    Annika1980, May 2, 2006
  12. Rob Novak wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On 1 May 2006 11:51:31 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Have you seen the work of Sally Mann? I would love to see something
    >> like that get published today. Take photos of what you like and hold
    >> the moral highground whenever your accused of being a dirty old man!

    > Hmm - odd thing. I was at the Corcoran in DC on Saturday, and they
    > have a series of eight of Mann's prints displayed in their permanent
    > photographic collection gallery. My first thought was "no way that'd
    > be acceptable in today's climate," and the second was a brief twinge
    > moment of apprehension about appearing "pervy" for scrutinizing them.

    There are a few here... I'm surprised Orin Hatch hasn't had an
    FBI raid on the server yet in today's climate...

    http://www.art-forum.org/z_Mann/gallery.htm

    --
    Lefty
    All of God's creatures have a place..........

    Lefty Bigfoot, May 2, 2006