The human mind at work!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by techie, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. techie

    techie Guest

    Just passing along a fun URL I happened across:

    The Museum of Unworkable Devices.
    <http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm>

    "This museum is a celebration of fascinating devices that don't work.
    It houses diverse examples of the perverse genius of inventors who
    refused to let their thinking be intimidated by the laws of nature,
    remaining optimistic in the face of repeated failures. Watch and be
    amazed as we bring to life eccentric and even intricate perpetual
    motion machines that have remained steadfastly unmoving since their
    inception. Marvel at the ingenuity of the human mind, as it reinvents
    the square wheel in all of its possible variations. Exercise your mind
    to puzzle out exactly why they don't work as the inventors intended."

    I just wasted two hours on the patent-of-the-week site to which it
    links:

    http://www.patentoftheweek.com/

    Examples:

    http://www.patentoftheweek.com/1996-Now/index.html

    US5926857 Armor With Rollers
    US20020091564 Method and System for Enabling Viewer Polling and Election of Prospective Parents
    US6293874 User-Operated Amusement Apparatus for Kicking the Users Buttocks
    US6075756 Time Pop
    US20020133103 Internet-Based Electrically Operated Sexual Aid System
    US6406462 Lap Dance Liner
    US6169924 Spinal Cord-Stimulation
    WO9918897 Penis Extender
    USD448471 Condom
    US6168531 Soup Bowl Attraction
    WO9212761 Device For Accelerating Growth
    US3552388 Baby Patting Machine
    US6125480 Vehicle Mounted Toilet Seat
    US6368227 Method of Swinging on a Swing
    US6205950 Pet Toilet-Like Water Disk and Food Storage
    US4413832 Body Sled
    US6241575 Brassiere Having Integrated Inflatable Bladders For the Holding of Comestible Liquids
    US6327741 Controlled Self Operated Vacuum Cleaning System
    US5926874 Automatic Bed Maker
    US5687752 Dining Table Having Integral Dishwasher
    US4428085 Self-Cleaning Building Construction
    US5606748 Feminine Undergarment With Calendar
    US5663932 Rescue Watch
    USD407996 Mistletoe Belt Buckle
    US5182857 Shaving Apparatus
    WO9506228 Device and Procedure For Utilizing Solar Energy
    US5743272 Male Nipple Abrasion Protector
    US5273766 Tenderizing Meat
    US5388723 Random Member Dispenser
    US6089953 Fragrant Brassiere
    US6313371 Flatulence Deodorizer
    WO8806699 Container For at Least One Condom
    US6135552 Rocking Chair Device
    DE10019627 Phallic Object Worn on Users Chin Used For Erotic Practices
    USD439027 Bubble Covered Brassiere
    US5649549 Contraceptive Device For Oral Sex
    USD276561 Navel Lint Removing Pick
    US5595343 Snow Coloring Device
    US6266829 Combination Beverage Container and Spittoon
    US5078642 Toy Bar Soap Slide
    US5593111 Safety System For Remove a Rider From a Vehicle by Deploying a Parachute
    US4387927 Chair Made From a Garbage Can
    US6099319 Neuroimaging as a Marketing Tool
    US4247283 Musical Instrument Adapted to Emit a Controlled Flame
    US5722571 Air Flow Guide For Garment Sleeve
    US6049912 Mountable Printable Placard With Headband
    USD398994 Human Gas Filter Pad For Wearing in the Underwear
    US6101747 Athletic Shoe Having Basketball Hoop
    US5996568 Process For Propelling Foodstuffs or the Like into a Crowd
    US4171703 Multiple Bowl Arrangement For Water Pipe or Bong
    US4158549 Marijuana Scented Incense and Method of Making Same
    US6113940 Cannaboid Patch and Method For Cannibis Transdermal Delivery
    GB2293957 Hallucinogenic Mixtures
    US4356753 Musical Electro Magnetic Analog Synthesizer Controlled Rocket Engine
    US6004596 Sealed Crustless Sandwich
    US4866863 Empty Tomb
    US5871518 Smoking Cessation Lighter and Method
    US5971829 Motorized Ice Cream Cone
    GB2060081 Animal Powered Drive Means
    US6098252 Belt Buckle With Backlit Face Plates
    US5500234 Crispy Chip Sandwich and Process of Producing a Sandwich Product
    US5214803 Smoke Hood
    US5035252 Nicotine Containing Dental Floss
    WO0064638 Gum Job
    WO9420050 Stimulatory Device
    US6055910 Toy Gas Fired Missile and Launcher Assembly
    US6132366 Sex Aid
    US5809590 Thermochromic Urinal Mat
    WO9925368 A Medicine For Treating Algomenorrhea and the Method of Preparation Thereof
    CA2010302 Cosmic Cube
    WO9932331 A Security System For a Vehicle
    US6145506 Decorative Penile Wrap
    WO9219458 Two New Punctuation Marks
    US5107620 Electrified Table Cloth
    US5758569 Poultry Frying Apparatus
    US3201038 Data Registering Device
    WO9629960 Female Functional Mannequin
    WO9939598 Substance Dispensing Headgear
    US3216423 Apparatus for Facilitating the Birth of a Child by Centrifugal Force
    US6110102 Vision of Love
    US5100138 Motorized Mobile Boxing Robot
    US6017303 Underpants With a Stamina Reinforcing Mechanism Using Walking Force

    techie, Dec 30, 2003

  2. techie

    Peter Guest

    techie wrote:
    > The Museum of Unworkable Devices.
    > <http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm>

    great !
    another good one over here ...
    http://www.crank.net/

    Peter

    Peter, Dec 30, 2003

  3. techie

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:25:05 -0600, techie wrote:

    > I just wasted two hours on the patent-of-the-week site to which it
    > links:
    >
    > http://www.patentoftheweek.com/

    Some very amusing things on that site.

    I particularly liked the "Sanitary Appliance for Birds"
    http://tinyurl.com/2s5gt
    I can just imagine trying to get something like that onto my cockateil

    and the "Dust Cover for Dogs
    http://tinyurl.com/24x46
    Can't let your dog get dusty now......

    LOL