    Thanks!

    Jeff

    , Aug 29, 2005

  2. dbf Guest

    Sounds interesting, and it sounds vague as to whether it even exists
    anymore..good luck in your hunt!:

    In 1915, the Selig Polyscope Company produced a (silent) motion picture
    version of the film. It is unclear to us at this time whether any prints
    exist of the film.

    dbf, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Mark W Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to locate a copy -- any copy!! -- of the 1915 version of
    > Meredtith Nicholson's "The House of a Thousand Candles." There was a
    > 1915 version produced by Selig Polyscope, I believe, and a 1920 version
    > entitled, "The Haunting Shadows." I'm trying to locate either one or
    > both.

    Do you want the single disc version or deluxe double disc edition?

    Mark W, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Sally Dumaux Guest

    It's never a good idea to say "never" about any particular silent film.
    Miracles do happen, but so far with respect to this film as a Selig from
    1915, I have not been able to find that it still exists...and I have been
    working on Selig for a number of years now. LC does have the photoplay
    novel which should have a few stills, but that is hardly what you need.
    Anyone out there who can supply us with a miracle?

    Sally Dumaux, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Guest

    Darn!!
    I've been looking for the 1936 version for some time. Along with some
    other damn near impossible titles.
    PR

    , Aug 30, 2005
  6. Blues Ma Guest

    wrote:
    > Darn!!
    > I've been looking for the 1936 version for some time. Along with some
    > other damn near impossible titles.
    > PR

    http://www.hollywoodsattic.com/shopping/

    Says they have one for $19 VHS tho.

    Blues Ma, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    If you can get either one (or tell me to how to!), I'd love either one
    or both!

    I gather the 1936 version crops up from time to time. I know someone
    who has a copy of it, though apparently it bears little resemblance to
    the original novel. The 1915, as everyone here seems to have agreed, is
    the really rare one.

    I work at a public library in the town where stands the house that
    Nicholson based the novel on. We even had a 100th anniversary
    celebration of the novel's 1905 publication this past summer. We'd just
    really love to get our hands on the earlier versions of the movie (1915
    and, as "The Haunting Shadows," the 1920 version) and have a public
    event showing it or even just totake a look at. We do have the 1915
    edition of the book with the stills in it (I even put the stills on our
    library's website...interesting stuff....
    http://www.culver.lib.in.us/house_thousand_candles.htm).

    It looked like the AFI listing on the film seemed to indicate that
    someone from that group had seen the movie in the past 20 years or so,
    not that that necessarily means anything!

    You guys have been really great, though! I didn't expect so many
    replies so soon...but keep them coming! If anyone can point me towards
    a copy of this film, please please let me know!

    , Aug 30, 2005
  8. Craighton

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Culver, Indiana
    Just an update. I'm the owner of the House of a Thousand Candles in Culver, Indiana, that Jeff is talking about. I've since published an article about it in Traces: a Journal of Indiana and Midwestern History and it is available here: http://digitalcommons.olivet.edu/lsci_facp/3/. I agree. The two earlier films are scarce and/or non-existent.

    Craighton, Apr 22, 2012