    -- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
    -- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    , Sep 20, 2005

  2. Re: The "Hosts" file in System32/drivers/misc, is this like a firewallconfig file?

    wrote:
    > Well, My question is as my subject reads, is the Hosts file for
    > Windows Firewall or MSIE?
    >
    > I was told that I should be blocking a program from reaching a site
    > and they told me to add it to my hosts file. I use ZoneAlarm firewall
    > and was wondering if there is any difference to adding a rule to that
    > "Host" file or ZoneAlarm?
    >
    > I looked inside the host file and saw that there are no separate
    > sections for individual program, this must mean the rules are
    > global??? With Micro$oft you never know until you dig, I hate that!

    The hosts file is an editable limitation on what websites you can visit.
    It isn't specific to Internet Explorerer and it has no affect (that I'm
    aware of) on the firewall. It's a simpler, leaner, meaner way to keep
    from going to bad places.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Trax Guest

    Edmonton_Guy () wrote:

    |>Well, My question is as my subject reads, is the Hosts file for
    |>Windows Firewall or MSIE?
    |>
    |>I was told that I should be blocking a program from reaching a site
    |>and they told me to add it to my hosts file. I use ZoneAlarm firewall
    |>and was wondering if there is any difference to adding a rule to that
    |>"Host" file or ZoneAlarm?

    Overview
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The one I've been using lately