    showed in black and white but didn't roll this time, unlike my t.v. i
    was wondering, if i buy a dvd like the one suggested, the cyberhome
    300, will it stop the rolling as well as the black and white picture?
    userabuser333, May 31, 2004

  2. On Mon, 31 May 2004 04:05:50 -0700, userabuser333 wrote:

    > ok, i'm dumb.
    > i tried putting that pal (which i am pretty sure it is now) dvd in a
    > pioneer dv-353. the dvd is made for all regions. my dvd player is
    > obviously not made to handle it. now i have a more troubling question.
    > i plugged in the same dvd player to my friends newer t.v. and the dvd
    > showed in black and white but didn't roll this time, unlike my t.v. i
    > was wondering, if i buy a dvd like the one suggested, the cyberhome
    > 300, will it stop the rolling as well as the black and white picture?

    OK, many multi-standard players will correctly output the signal. That
    means that if the DVD is PAL, the player will output PAL. If it's NTSC,
    it will output NTSC. Your TV then has to interpret the signal and play
    it. It sounds like you don't have a PAL compatible TV. Nothing will
    bring back the color, unless you can convert the signal to NTSC or get a
    TV that can play PAL.

    You can, however, get almost anything converted; google for pal ntsc
    conversion and there are many places that will cut you a converted DVD.

    I don't know if there are DVD players that can convert; I have two VCRs
    that I use to convert PAL tapes to NTSC and vice-versa. You could get one
    of these and use it as a loop-through; it will do conversion on the fly.

    Digital conversion VCR decks are expensive; the Samsung (which is what I
    have) is something like $400 and AIWA (a much better deck) is almost $1K.
    The analog conversion stuff ain't worth the money you spend on it.

    Your best bet, for a single DVD, is to spend the $10 and have it converted
    to NTSC.

    --Kamus

    --
    o__ | May your trails be dim, lonesome, stony, narrow, winding and
    ,>/'_ | only slightly uphill. May the wind bring rain for the slickrock
    | May God's dog serenade your campfire, may the rattlesnake and
    o | the screech owl amuse your reveries, may the Great Sun dazzle
    >[] | your eyes by day and the Great Bear watch over you at night.

    /\ |
    \ \ | - Edward Abbey, Beyond the Wall
    Kamus of Kadizhar, May 31, 2004

  3. On Mon, 31 May 2004 07:23:41 -0400, Kamus of Kadizhar
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 May 2004 04:05:50 -0700, userabuser333 wrote:
    >
    >> ok, i'm dumb.
    >> i tried putting that pal (which i am pretty sure it is now) dvd in a
    >> pioneer dv-353. the dvd is made for all regions. my dvd player is
    >> obviously not made to handle it. now i have a more troubling question.
    >> i plugged in the same dvd player to my friends newer t.v. and the dvd
    >> showed in black and white but didn't roll this time, unlike my t.v. i
    >> was wondering, if i buy a dvd like the one suggested, the cyberhome
    >> 300, will it stop the rolling as well as the black and white picture?

    >OK, many multi-standard players will correctly output the signal. That
    >means that if the DVD is PAL, the player will output PAL. If it's NTSC,
    >it will output NTSC. Your TV then has to interpret the signal and play
    >it. It sounds like you don't have a PAL compatible TV. Nothing will
    >bring back the color, unless you can convert the signal to NTSC or get a
    >TV that can play PAL.
    >
    >You can, however, get almost anything converted; google for pal ntsc
    >conversion and there are many places that will cut you a converted DVD.
    >
    >I don't know if there are DVD players that can convert; I have two VCRs
    >that I use to convert PAL tapes to NTSC and vice-versa. You could get one
    >of these and use it as a loop-through; it will do conversion on the fly.

    Many DVD players will output in a format other than the disc. The
    Apex AD600 would output either PAL or NTSC discs as either PAL or
    NTSC, though the aspect was a bit off. Some JVCs and most Malatas
    and Novas will also do this conversion. For JVCs and Pioneers the
    region code presents a problem of course, the Malata and Nova can have
    its Region protection disabled from the remote.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), May 31, 2004
  4. userabuser333

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : I don't know if there are DVD players that can convert; I have two
    VCRs
    : that I use to convert PAL tapes to NTSC and vice-versa. You could get
    one
    : of these and use it as a loop-through; it will do conversion on the
    fly.
    :
    The Cyberhome 300 converts.
    Richard C., Jun 1, 2004