    exactly the same hardware configuration. Auto-login is enabled, and each
    will launch Firefox which will then proceed to load the same web page.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs
    peter, Nov 1, 2009

  2. peter

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:18:55 +1300, peter wrote:

    > Think Win7 is fast? Think again.
    > In this test, each operating system has been freshly installed and
    > features exactly the same hardware configuration. Auto-login is enabled,
    > and each will launch Firefox which will then proceed to load the same
    > web page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs

    Interesting bootup/login/webpage load stats:

    Ubuntu 9.10: 40s
    Ubuntu 9.04: 51s
    MS Windows NT 6.0 "Vista": 67s
    MS Windows NT 6.1 "7": 72s

    Carnations, Nov 1, 2009

  3. peter

    BigglesZz Guest

    On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:01:05 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:18:55 +1300, peter wrote:
    >
    >> Think Win7 is fast? Think again.
    >> In this test, each operating system has been freshly installed and
    >> features exactly the same hardware configuration. Auto-login is
    >> enabled, and each will launch Firefox which will then proceed to load
    >> the same web page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs

    > Interesting bootup/login/webpage load stats:
    >
    > Ubuntu 9.10: 40s
    > Ubuntu 9.04: 51s
    > MS Windows NT 6.0 "Vista": 67s
    > MS Windows NT 6.1 "7": 72s

    So okay Ill bite ... to better inform the some what dim trolls ..

    http://lifehacker.com/5124955/windows-7-beta-boasts-sub 30-second-boot-
    time

    I havent bothered timing my quad core with win7 but i doubt those figures
    are to wide of the mark.. My CPU graphs show the 4 cores maxed out as the
    desktop loads.. vista barely used 2 cores ... at the latter desktop

    And its all very nice these parallel boot start ups until you get
    program A that fails to start due to some service it rely's on but that
    services hasnt been started yet.

    And before you both lie that this cant happen go google opensuse & vmware-
    server startup failures.

    Nextttttttttttttt

    Bigglezzzz
    BigglesZz, Nov 2, 2009
  4. peter

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:18:55 +1300, peter wrote:
    >
    >> Think Win7 is fast? Think again.
    >> In this test, each operating system has been freshly installed and
    >> features exactly the same hardware configuration. Auto-login is enabled,
    >> and each will launch Firefox which will then proceed to load the same
    >> web page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs

    > Interesting bootup/login/webpage load stats:
    >
    > Ubuntu 9.10: 40s
    > Ubuntu 9.04: 51s
    > MS Windows NT 6.0 "Vista": 67s
    > MS Windows NT 6.1 "7": 72s

    I wonder what the specs were on that machine. My HP mini 5101, which is a
    netbook and not exactly high specced, boots into 7 fully responsive in about
    40 seconds. It was booting in ~30s when it was brand new with only the
    default services starting. Will have to time the probook when I get home
    and see what time that gets.
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 2, 2009
  5. peter

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:17:13 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:18:55 +1300, peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Think Win7 is fast? Think again.
    >>> In this test, each operating system has been freshly installed and
    >>> features exactly the same hardware configuration. Auto-login is
    >>> enabled, and each will launch Firefox which will then proceed to load
    >>> the same web page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs

    >> Interesting bootup/login/webpage load stats:
    >>
    >> Ubuntu 9.10: 40s
    >> Ubuntu 9.04: 51s
    >> MS Windows NT 6.0 "Vista": 67s
    >> MS Windows NT 6.1 "7": 72s

    > I wonder what the specs were on that machine. My HP mini 5101, which is
    > a netbook and not exactly high specced, boots into 7 fully responsive in
    > about 40 seconds. It was booting in ~30s when it was brand new with
    > only the default services starting. Will have to time the probook when
    > I get home and see what time that gets.

    This wasn't merely bootup - it was boot, automatically login, automagically load Firefox, and have it load
    a default webpage into Firefox.

    All were on the same spec'd hardware and presumably with outofthebox settings.

    Carnations, Nov 2, 2009
  6. peter

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 04:46:14 +0000, BigglesZz wrote:

    > So okay Ill bite ... to better inform the some what dim trolls ..
    >
    > http://lifehacker.com/5124955/windows-7-beta-boasts-sub 30-second-boot-
    > time

    Sub-30s boot times may be all well and good, but you need to add onto that the length of time required
    to login and to load the browser and to have the browser load the web page.

    Carnations, Nov 2, 2009
  7. peter

    impossible Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message

    > Think Win7 is fast? Think again.
    > In this test, each operating system has been freshly installed and
    > features
    > exactly the same hardware configuration. Auto-login is enabled, and each
    > will launch Firefox which will then proceed to load the same web page.
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs

    LOL. It's been ages since boot time mattered to anyone except nixophiliacs.
    Ever heard of Sleep mode? The last time I cold-booted my Vista desktop was
    2 months ago when I went on vacation. If only I'd been using Ubuntu, I could
    have saved myself......what was it?.....16 seconds? Oh, wait....no....that's
    16 seconds minus the 90 seconds needed to satisfy the nixopliliac mania by
    **watching** 4 machines boot up on youtube. Do you guys ever do any work?
    impossible, Nov 3, 2009
  8. peter

    Carnations Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:38:18 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > LOL. It's been ages since boot time mattered to anyone except
    > nixophiliacs. Ever heard of Sleep mode? The last time I cold-booted my
    > Vista desktop was 2 months ago when I went on vacation.

    That's because Vista takes so very long to boot up and to log in!

    Carnations, Nov 3, 2009
  9. peter

    BigglesZz Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:19:48 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:38:18 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> LOL. It's been ages since boot time mattered to anyone except
    >> nixophiliacs. Ever heard of Sleep mode? The last time I cold-booted my
    >> Vista desktop was 2 months ago when I went on vacation.

    Hrmmm my office outlook program screwed up badly yesterday & outlook
    wouldnt start-up ... and I was blaming the fact i had started using sleep
    mode with win7 .. bugger

    > That's because Vista takes so very long to boot up and to log in!

    Why do you think they used ubuntu versus win7 .. Ill explain it slowly
    for you cuppapee.. Ubuntu has light weight DE ...

    Try this boot race with opensuse kde4xxx then at least your comparing
    comparable software.and if you had actually ever used vista-service-
    pack-1/2 or win7 you would know that opening IE / & a web page doesnt
    take that long.

    BigglesZZZzzzzzzzzz
    BigglesZz, Nov 5, 2009