    Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

    Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth getting over
    the original release on DVD?
    Gary, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Gary

    unclejr Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth getting over
    > the original release on DVD?

    In a word: yes.

    <http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/goodbadugly.htm>

    HTH,

    -Junior
    unclejr, Feb 20, 2006

  3. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
    >
    > Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth getting
    > over
    > the original release on DVD?

    Firstly, if you do get the updated version, Region 1 is definitely the way
    to go (since it includes the original Italian Mono. All the other versions
    only have the atrocious 5.1 remix)

    As for extras, picture-quality, etc...

    Not sure how good or bad the original DVD's picture quality is... but this
    one looks pretty darn good. Not one of those 'amazing' restoration/transfers
    like on Citizen Kane (but, I wouldn't want the transfer to look too
    pristine. This is a gritty with washed out colors and it should look that
    way.)

    Extras are well worth getting. Plenty of interesting featurettes,
    storyboards/reconstructions of lost scenes, etc. etc.

    A source of considerable debate is the restored scenes. All but one of
    these were on the earlier DVD, but in this case they're re-dubbed and
    incorporated into the film, which brings us to the big problem with this
    release...

    The sound is remixed in 5.1
    I've heard that the gunshots in particular are changed quite a bit and if
    you're already familiar with the older mono track, this remix will be very
    annoying. Also, the remix makes heavy use of the left and right speakers for
    dialogue from characters on the left and right side of the screen. If you
    have a huge screen with speakers right next to it, this would be fairly
    effective, but for most people this is very annoying (you may even find it
    necessary to re-arrange your speakers every time you sit down to watch that
    particular DVD.)
    The deleted scenes, also, are re-incorporated into the film. The scenes
    themselves are fine; this is a long, meandering film anyway, so most any
    extra material isn't going to affect pacing or anything. But, because it's
    re-dubbed many years later by some of the original actors, the change in
    voices (especially Eli Wallach (Tuco) who's voice has changed considerably.
    Every time he talks in a deleted scene, I think of Don Altobello,) is *very*
    distracting.

    So, basically, yes, I'd still recommend the new release. You can probably
    pick it up at DVDPacific.com for under $15 and if you want to watch the film
    in Italian, then it's a far better choice than the original release (not to
    mention all those extras) But, definitely hold onto your older release for
    the original mono soundtrack.
    The Man With No Name, Feb 21, 2006
  4. In article <43fa9c9b$0$4512$>,
    The Man With No Name <> wrote:

    >"Gary" <> wrote in message
    >> Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

    >> Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth
    >> getting over the original release on DVD?

    > Firstly, if you do get the updated version, Region 1 is
    >definitely the way to go (since it includes the original Italian
    >Mono. All the other versions only have the atrocious 5.1 remix)

    > As for extras, picture-quality, etc...

    > Not sure how good or bad the original DVD's picture quality
    >is... but this one looks pretty darn good. Not one of those
    >'amazing' restoration/transfers like on Citizen Kane (but, I
    >wouldn't want the transfer to look too pristine. This is a gritty
    >with washed out colors and it should look that way.)

    The original was shot in Techniscope. That's standard 35MM but it
    only pulled down two sprocket holes for each frame intead of four.
    That mean that 1/2 as much film was used. And the picture on the
    frame was wide-screen on the film. So when it was printed it was
    stretched vertically and when projected it was stretched
    horizonatlly so you lose some resolution there.

    However all the Leone spaghetti westerns look awfully good in their
    restored form.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Gary

    wunnuy Guest

    The Man With No Name wrote:
    > A source of considerable debate is the restored scenes. All but one of
    > these were on the earlier DVD, but in this case they're re-dubbed and
    > incorporated into the film, which brings us to the big problem with this
    > release...
    >> The deleted scenes, also, are re-incorporated into the film. The scenes

    > themselves are fine; this is a long, meandering film anyway, so most any
    > extra material isn't going to affect pacing or anything. But, because it's
    > re-dubbed many years later by some of the original actors, the change in
    > voices (especially Eli Wallach (Tuco) who's voice has changed considerably.
    > Every time he talks in a deleted scene, I think of Don Altobello,) is *very*
    > distracting.

    The DVD is definitely worth owning, but I found Eastwood's dubbing the
    most distracting. It sounded like someone trying to do an Eastwood
    impression (despite being the real, older Eastwood).
    wunnuy, Feb 21, 2006