    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game
    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    > The good news:
    > "Charly" (1968) DVD Release: 2004-10-19

    [...]
    > The bad news:
    > Screen Format: UNK

    Well, at least UNK still allows for hope. I'm hoping.

    doug

    --
    "Everything is good these days, but all of my friends are dying..."
    --Magnapop
    Douglas Bailey, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Matthew L. Martin

    jayembee Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    >Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    >> The good news:
    >> "Charly" (1968) DVD Release: 2004-10-19

    >[...]
    >> The bad news:
    >> Screen Format: UNK

    >Well, at least UNK still allows for hope. I'm hoping.

    Since MGM's other CRC titles were released widescreen (eg. HELL IN
    THE PACIFIC), it's a reasonably good bet that this one will be, too.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Sep 7, 2004
  4. jayembee wrote:

    > Douglas Bailey <> wrote:
    >

    >>Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    >>
    >>>The good news:
    >>>"Charly" (1968) DVD Release: 2004-10-19

    >>[...]
    >>
    >>>The bad news:
    >>>Screen Format: UNK

    >>Well, at least UNK still allows for hope. I'm hoping.

    > Since MGM's other CRC titles were released widescreen (eg. HELL IN
    > THE PACIFIC), it's a reasonably good bet that this one will be, too.

    One can only hope.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game
    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Matthew L. Martin

    jayembee Guest

    jayembee <> wrote:

    >Douglas Bailey <> wrote:
    >
    >>Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    >>> The good news:
    >>> "Charly" (1968) DVD Release: 2004-10-19

    >>[...]
    >>> The bad news:
    >>> Screen Format: UNK

    >>Well, at least UNK still allows for hope. I'm hoping.

    > Since MGM's other CRC titles were released widescreen (eg. HELL IN
    > THE PACIFIC), it's a reasonably good bet that this one will be, too.

    Did a little more poking around. Looked up 17 CRC titles that MGM has
    released or announced for release. 14 out of the 17 are specified as
    being widescreen (I can't confirm most of them, as the only one in my
    collection is IVY):

    CUSTER OF THE WEST; FOR LOVE OF IVY; HELL IN THE PACIFIC;
    THE HIGH COMMISSIONER; JUNIOR BONNER; THE LAST VALLEY;
    A MINUTE TO PRAY, A SECOND TO DIE; SHALAKO; RING OF BRIGHT WATER;
    SUPPOSE THEY GAVE A WAR AND NOBODY CAME; THEY SHOOT HORSES,
    DON'T THEY?; TOO LATE THE HERO; and WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE?

    Of the other three, two seem to be fullscreen releases:

    LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS and TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN.

    Leaving only CHARLY. Unfortunately, CHARLY is one of two of the titles
    whose format/ratio is not specified by etailers. The other is the FS
    title LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS. Which one might say doesn't bode
    well for CHARLY.

    On the other hand, LOVERS and MONEY are matted films, and the DVDs are
    likely open-matte. CHARLY is an anamorphic film, and I can't at the
    moment think of any anamorphically-shot films that MGM has released in
    pan-&-scan.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Sep 7, 2004
  6. jayembee <> wrote:

    > jayembee <> wrote:
    >
    > Did a little more poking around. Looked up 17 CRC titles that MGM has
    > released or announced for release. 14 out of the 17 are specified as
    > being widescreen (I can't confirm most of them, as the only one in my
    > collection is IVY):
    >
    > CUSTER OF THE WEST; FOR LOVE OF IVY; HELL IN THE PACIFIC;
    > THE HIGH COMMISSIONER; JUNIOR BONNER; THE LAST VALLEY;
    > A MINUTE TO PRAY, A SECOND TO DIE; SHALAKO; RING OF BRIGHT WATER;
    > SUPPOSE THEY GAVE A WAR AND NOBODY CAME; THEY SHOOT HORSES,
    > DON'T THEY?; TOO LATE THE HERO; and WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE?
    >
    > Of the other three, two seem to be fullscreen releases:
    >
    > LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS and TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN.
    >
    > Leaving only CHARLY. Unfortunately, CHARLY is one of two of the titles
    > whose format/ratio is not specified by etailers. The other is the FS
    > title LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS. Which one might say doesn't bode
    > well for CHARLY.
    >
    > On the other hand, LOVERS and MONEY are matted films, and the DVDs are
    > likely open-matte. CHARLY is an anamorphic film, and I can't at the
    > moment think of any anamorphically-shot films that MGM has released in
    > pan-&-scan.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    I've seen Charly somewhere or other listed as pan & scan (oh yeah,
    cduniverse; they're pretty good about getting this stuff right). Also,
    looks like They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is not anamorphic.

    [MGM sucks sometimes, but then again two less DVDs to bother with...]

    --Frank
    Frank Malczewski, Sep 8, 2004
  7. Matthew L. Martin

    jayembee Guest

    (Frank Malczewski) wrote:

    > I've seen Charly somewhere or other listed as pan & scan (oh yeah,
    > cduniverse; they're pretty good about getting this stuff right). Also,
    > looks like They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is not anamorphic.
    >
    > [MGM sucks sometimes, but then again two less DVDs to bother with...]

    Well, it's not much of a problem for me, as I have a Region 2 edition.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Sep 8, 2004