the G5 and 'Chromatic Abberation'

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Magus, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Magus

    Magus Guest

    Calling other G5 users :)

    Since getting a G5 I've seen quite a few reviews that suggest that the G5
    has a *way* above unacceptable amount of purple fringing due to Chromatic
    Abberation.

    Well, boo hoo! - I'm hardly getting any .. whats up?!

    Seriously, I *have* noticed a little fringing on highlight > shadow
    boundaries on *very* high contrast subjects, but then *only* if the
    aperture is somewhere between F/4 to wide open. Stopping down to F/5.6
    seems to effectively eliminmate fringing, even in very demanding
    situations.

    As a dyed in the wool SLR/film shooter, I find myself selecting 5.6 or 6.3
    for much of my shots, and I'm seeing some stunning quality from the G5.
    (Really - I'm now beginning to sell my film gear.)

    I've noticed that the G5's Auto and Program modes favour an aperture of F/4
    - certainly at ISO50.
    All I can suggest is that perhaps some of those more rabid 'reviewers'
    didnt exactly stray from the standard settings, and maybe some were less
    thorough than they make out.
    Well I dont know - either I've got a lucky good one, or they had a jinxed
    bad one ..

    But, yes, I'm sure that if you have a situation which requires shooting
    wide open (or close to) with very strong backlighting / highlights, you
    *may* get just a little bit of the ol' Jimi Hendrix ('Purple Haze' :).
    I'd say that contitutes a fairly uncommon situation for most photogs
    requirements, and also that, at the current stage of digital technology,
    most other prosumer Digicams on the market would suffer the same small
    issues in such conditions.

    Any views from other G5 *owners*? -
    i.e. : G5 fringing - 'unaceptable', or hardly a problem?

    M.

    Magus, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Magus

    Terry Guest

    Like Magus I have found no purple fringing problems, just good pictures.
    The optical viewfinder is disappointing compared to my old Nikon 35mm SLR,
    but the LCD is terrific when you get used to it. Less croppping later. I
    got good shots at the NASCAR race in Chicago at 1/1250. Shots at 1/2000
    were underexposed, but I didn't have time for full manual. Glad to see max
    is happy again.

    Terry, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Magus

    Robert Guest

    Mine hardly exhibits any purple fringing at all.I have to look very
    very closely for it.. nothing at all like that review that shows bad
    fringing. I think he had a dud.

    The reason I bought this camera was for the excellent smooth film-like
    results it gives. Every digital I had looked at until now had a
    distinct video look to the images. This camera's snaps look extremely
    good.

    That said, the lens isnt even close to a decent slr lens. Distortion
    is high at the wide end and fuzzy corners are in there too, but
    considering the size of the results it's not bad at all.

    I'd like a better jog wheel, a battery meter, USB2 and USB
    webcam-ability just for fun and decent video capabilities!

    I wouldn't buy another camera at this point in this range, the G5 does
    the job.

    Robert, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Magus

    Pete Rissler Guest

    > For me it was a problem.. When you marked a camera as a
    > prosumer top of the line amazing quality etc. I expected more.
    > But my S2 is back from repair and I'm happy, my daughter is
    > thrilled with the macro features on the G5, so all is well.
    >
    > The fringe is a problem on most compact digicams, I did'nt
    > know that before I got the G5, so I naturally reacted very
    > negatively. The camera has other bigger flaws, which I think it
    > shares with other compact digicams, and people coming from
    > slr will have difficult accepting the compromises..
    >
    > A very bad viewfinder makes it impossible to compose a picture.
    > Using the lcd I find is a rediculous way to take pictures, and it is
    > definately not a fast action camera. These cameras take all the fun
    > out og photography, for me.. I'm shure teenagers like my daughter
    > will have a great time with it, it is a fun toy..-max-

    What a bunch of crap! I sold off my 35 mm camera years ago and bought a G1
    now I have a G5. I had no problems using the lcd for composition in fact
    with the rotating lcd it's even easier to compose shots than though the view
    finder. Learn how to use your new equipment instead of bad mouthing it cause
    it doesn't work the way you think it should. Now the G5 isn't perfect,
    sometime it's hard to see the lcd in bright sunlight, there is the purple
    fringing problem but I've adapted and love to use the camera and I'm well
    past my teen years.

    --
    Pete Rissler
    http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

    Pete Rissler, Jul 21, 2003
  5. Magus

    jriegle Guest

    I was considering the G5, but I'm bothered by the purple fringing. Granted
    the test shots will exacerbate the effect, but I do lots of outside
    shooting, in some cases, with sky light filtering trough the trees. This
    situation tends to show the effect strongly and is annoying to me. In other
    situations it is less of or not a problem.

    The G5 looks to be a great camera. If it weren't for the fringing issue, I'd
    probably have one on order!

    John

    jriegle, Jul 22, 2003
  6. Magus

    max Guest

    > I was considering the G5, but I'm bothered by the purple fringing. Granted
    > the test shots will exacerbate the effect, but I do lots of outside
    > shooting, in some cases, with sky light filtering trough the trees. This
    > situation tends to show the effect strongly and is annoying to me. In other
    > situations it is less of or not a problem.
    >
    > The G5 looks to be a great camera. If it weren't for the fringing issue, I'd
    > probably have one on order!
    >
    > John

    You should do some test shots, perhaps you'll find the
    other qualities of the camera outweigh it's flaws..
    As you can see from posts here, most people love it,
    soo I think you should give it a test run, and not just
    take mine and a few others word..
    -max-

    max, Jul 22, 2003