The FUD Continues

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 20, 2010.

  1. “Users warned off OpenOffice.org until Oracle commitsâ€
    <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/78828BAEB47D410ACC2576B1006A123E>:

    A European IT consulting firm is warning large enterprises and
    government entities not to deploy OpenOffice.org until Oracle shows
    proof that it will invest as heavily in the development of open-source
    productivity suite as project champion Sun Microsystems Inc. did.

    Hands up all those who have deployed OOo, who were getting support from Sun?

    Nobody? My point exactly. You have been getting support from consultants or
    in-house staff—either way, it’s their job to understand enough about the
    software to help you do the things you’re trying to do. And no change in the
    ownership of the original source code can stop them from doing that job.
    That’s just how Open Source works.

    And:

    "There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
    said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
    interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
    fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic."

    Don’t you just love that “attic†strawman? As though there aren’t any open-
    source projects just as large, or larger, which are not controlled by any
    single company. *Cough* Linux kernel *cough*

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 20, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 21, 12:42 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    >     "There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
    >     said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
    >     interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
    >     fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic.."

    It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
    ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
    third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

    Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
    more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
    having to abide by nit picking company rules.

    peterwn, Jan 21, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 22, 2:15 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > On Jan 21, 12:42 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> "There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
    > >> said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
    > >> interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
    > >> fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic."

    > >It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
    > >ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
    > >third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

    > >Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
    > >more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
    > >having to abide by nit picking company rules.

    > If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality desktop
    > application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a complete and utter
    > failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality apps and counting.
    > What's with that?!

    The allegedly pre-eminent software company in the world cannot even
    achieve that.

    peterwn, Jan 22, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On 22/01/2010 3:37 pm, peterwn wrote:
    > On Jan 22, 2:15 pm, "impossible"<> wrote:
    >>
    >> If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality desktop
    >> application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a complete and utter
    >> failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality apps and counting.
    >> What's with that?!

    > The allegedly pre-eminent software company in the world cannot even
    > achieve that.

    So there are no professional quality open-source desktop applications,
    and additionally Microsoft cannot produce professional quality desktop apps?

    You must both be using some strange definition of the phrase
    "professional quality" that I've not previously come across :)

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 22, 2010
  5. In message <hjb4lv$8f0$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > ... and additionally Microsoft cannot produce professional quality desktop
    > apps?

    Certainly it’s having increasing trouble with backwards compatibility
    <http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/01/12/office_2007_migration_problems/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 22, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 22, 2:15 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > On Jan 21, 12:42 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> "There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
    > >> said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
    > >> interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
    > >> fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic."

    > >It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
    > >ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
    > >third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

    > >Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
    > >more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
    > >having to abide by nit picking company rules.

    > If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality desktop
    > application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a complete and utter
    > failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality apps and counting.
    > What's with that?!

    In reality, Microsoft Windows and Office are effectively Beta
    versions, always have been and always will be. For example Windows XP
    updates are still flowing thick and fast.

    peterwn, Jan 23, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:17:00 -0800, peterwn wrote:

    > On Jan 22, 2:15 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >> >It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
    >> >ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
    >> >third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

    >> >Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
    >> >more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
    >> >having to abide by nit picking company rules.

    >> If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality
    >> desktop application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a
    >> complete and utter failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality
    >> apps and counting. What's with that?!

    > In reality, Microsoft Windows and Office are effectively Beta versions,
    > always have been and always will be. For example Windows XP updates are
    > still flowing thick and fast.

    Agreed.

    As a contrast, lets consider the monthly patching of bugs - "undocumented design features", "known
    issues" - that has taken place since MS Office 2003 was released, compared with the number of
    patches that were released for all versions of OpenOffice.org in that same time.

    Lets consider the many bugs and behavior foibles that still exist in MS Office - even in MS Word alone
    that remain unfixed even to this day!

    Sweetpea, Jan 23, 2010