The Frighteners - Director's Cut

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Charles Eggen, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. Universal scheduled a North American R1 NTSC double-sided, single disc
    "Director's Cut" release on 29 Nov. 2005 ($20-25us); a 4-disc R2,4,5
    PAL German release of 1 December (20-22eur); a 3-disc R2,4,5
    Australian/NZ release of 7 December ($35au/$40nz) and a 3-disc R2 PAL
    UK release of 26 December (17#). It is 13min. longer than what was
    previously available on DVD and audio is dolby surround 5.1, dolby
    surround 2.0 and, except for the R1 release, DTS 5.1. It is presented
    in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen format.
    The confusion over what exactly is contained has come from the info
    going around about the package being one-disc, two-disc, three-disc or
    four. The R1 North American release is a single disc that has the
    feature, with a 2 minute intro by Jackson, on one side, along with an
    optional audio commentary by Jackson. The other side contains a 270+
    minute "Making of" documentary that includes: interviews with Michael
    J. Fox, Trini Alvarado, Dee Wallace Stone, Jake Busey, Chi McBride,
    John Astin and Jim Fyfe; a section (Ghost Stories) where Jackson and
    Fyfe share their personal close encounters with ghosts; bloopers and
    "lost footage" is included, as is a piece with Peter describing script
    development; a cast rehearsal; an introduction to WETA; a close-up
    look at miniature use; motion control and bluescreen effects; details
    on how they constructed wallpaperman, portraitman, slimeface, blobman,
    worm, the reaper; there is a 24 minute section on the music, with
    Danny Elfman and more.
    The R1 version also offers subtitles in English, Spanish or French.
    With the AU/NZ and German versions, the 270+ minute documentary is
    split between discs 2 and 3. The German version is the same as the
    other R2s, except that there is a fourth disc in the package that
    contains the original 105 min. theatrical version feature in
    anamorphic 2.35:1 with original English plus French or German 5.1
    surround dubbed options. There are many subtitle options on the R2,4,5
    Director's Cut offerings. Special note for North American R1 only
    users, although the 4-disc German version says it is R0, in fact it is
    R2,4,5 and not written for R1, therefore, you will run into the usual
    problem when trying to play it on an R1only player.
    I suppose that we can expect a future R1 release that will improve on
    the relatively low bit rate that the current R1 possesses. If you have
    a machine that can play R2, 4 or 5 PAL discs, forget the US R1 and get
    the Australian or German version, depending upon whether you want
    both versions. I would appreciate hearing from someone who can confirm
    the details of the UK version, once that is available, such as whether
    it also offers DTS 5.1 and if it is R2 only.

    Further info can be found at:

    http://www.nzvideos.org/frighteners.html
    Charles Eggen, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Charles Eggen wrote:
    > I suppose that we can expect a future R1 release that will improve on
    > the relatively low bit rate that the current R1 possesses. If you have
    > a machine that can play R2, 4 or 5 PAL discs, forget the US R1 and get
    > the Australian or German version, depending upon whether you want
    > both versions. I would appreciate hearing from someone who can confirm
    > the details of the UK version, once that is available, such as whether
    > it also offers DTS 5.1 and if it is R2 only.

    I'm looking at buying this myself.

    Why do you say the R1 version has a lower bitrate than the PAL versions?
    Is the film split across multiple disks on the PAL releases?

    Is the R1 progressive scan? I would prefer progressive scan over the PAL
    disks... I hate the idea of speeding a film up.

    As for the extras... nice to have them, but I don't really care if the
    quality suffers a little on those.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Charles Eggen

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Is the R1 progressive scan? I would prefer progressive scan over the
    > PAL disks...

    All DVD video is stored in interlaced format. There is no such thing as
    a "progressive" DVD. Deinterlacing for progressive scan playback is a
    function of the DVD player or the TV.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is the R1 progressive scan? I would prefer progressive scan over the
    >>PAL disks...

    > All DVD video is stored in interlaced format. There is no such thing as
    > a "progressive" DVD. Deinterlacing for progressive scan playback is a
    > function of the DVD player or the TV.

    Sorry. I meant was the R1 disk 'film', i.e. 24fps versus native NTSC
    (29.97).

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Charles Eggen

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Is the R1 progressive scan? I would prefer progressive scan over the PAL
    >> disks...

    > All DVD video is stored in interlaced format. There is no such thing as a
    > "progressive" DVD. Deinterlacing for progressive scan playback is a
    > function of the DVD player or the TV.

    Not quite true.... DVD MPEG-2 encoding allows for both interlaced or
    progressive streams, however most DVD's don't use progressive as almost all
    players don't have progressive stream handling capability.

    --

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    "Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"
    Mark Remfrey, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Charles Eggen

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Mark Remfrey () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Not quite true.... DVD MPEG-2 encoding allows for both interlaced or
    > progressive streams, however most DVD's don't use progressive as almost all
    > players don't have progressive stream handling capability.

    Since there is *no* requirement in the DVD spec for a player to handle
    progressive encoding, this has turned into a de facto prohibition against
    progressive encoding.

    I don't know why people say things like "most DVD's don't use progressive"
    when the reality is that *no* commercial DVDs use progressive encoding.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Dec 22, 2005
  7. Charles Eggen

    Bratboy Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Remfrey () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> Not quite true.... DVD MPEG-2 encoding allows for both interlaced or
    >> progressive streams, however most DVD's don't use progressive as almost
    >> all
    >> players don't have progressive stream handling capability.

    > Since there is *no* requirement in the DVD spec for a player to handle
    > progressive encoding, this has turned into a de facto prohibition against
    > progressive encoding.
    >
    > I don't know why people say things like "most DVD's don't use progressive"
    > when the reality is that *no* commercial DVDs use progressive encoding.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife |
    > | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/SportOfKings.gif

    Well since the OP mentioned it as an issue what is the diffrence between the
    R-1 and r2 bitrates? Give me facts don't just say something "IS". Now if
    they meant the extras are more compressed due to being squezed onto one
    disc, that I can understand.. However it seems, from their description, that
    all sets have the same movie on the main disc's so cant imagine there would
    be a difference in the bitrates but I could be wrong. I have a R1 set coming
    in the mail so I can check R1 for myself if need be.
    Bratboy, Dec 22, 2005
  8. Charles Eggen

    >> All DVD video is stored in interlaced format. There is no such thing
    >> as a "progressive" DVD. Deinterlacing for progressive scan playback
    >> is a function of the DVD player or the TV.

    > Sorry. I meant was the R1 disk 'film', i.e. 24fps versus native NTSC
    > (29.97).

    Well, again, all R1 DVDs are NTSC. All of them.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 23, 2005
  9. Charles Eggen

    damnfine Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" wrote:
    >> Sorry. I meant was the R1 disk 'film', i.e. 24fps versus native NTSC
    >> (29.97).

    > Well, again, all R1 DVDs are NTSC. All of them.

    Technically I could burn a DVD in PAL, and make it R1. :)

    --
    damnfine
    damnfine, Dec 23, 2005
  10. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>All DVD video is stored in interlaced format. There is no such thing
    >>>as a "progressive" DVD. Deinterlacing for progressive scan playback
    >>>is a function of the DVD player or the TV.

    >>Sorry. I meant was the R1 disk 'film', i.e. 24fps versus native NTSC
    >>(29.97).

    > Well, again, all R1 DVDs are NTSC. All of them.

    DVD supports three frame rates, including 24fps, with 3:2 pulldown done
    by the player to give 29.97fps required for NTSC.

    As film only runs at 24fps, storing on DVD at 24fps and having the
    conversion done by the player means space is not wated on the interlaced
    frames as these can be constructed during playback. Less bandwidth is
    used to achieve the same image output. It also means they could be
    output by players at 24fps if the gear supports it. This is where my
    confusion with progressive scan came in, since 24fps displayed
    progessively is where the best image quality would be achieved.
    Progressively displaying NTSC achieves very little, since the interlaced
    frames are part of the recording.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Dec 23, 2005
  11. Charles Eggen

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:49:03 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, again, all R1 DVDs are NTSC. All of them.

    > DVD supports three frame rates, including 24fps, with 3:2 pulldown done
    > by the player to give 29.97fps required for NTSC.
    >
    > As film only runs at 24fps, storing on DVD at 24fps and having the
    > conversion done by the player means space is not wated on the interlaced
    > frames as these can be constructed during playback. Less bandwidth is
    > used to achieve the same image output. It also means they could be
    > output by players at 24fps if the gear supports it. This is where my
    > confusion with progressive scan came in, since 24fps displayed
    > progessively is where the best image quality would be achieved.
    > Progressively displaying NTSC achieves very little, since the interlaced
    > frames are part of the recording.

    I wouldn't say it achieves "very little," it depends on the de-interlacer:

    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

    -Jay
    Jay G., Dec 23, 2005
  12. Charles Eggen

    roy Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark Remfrey () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>> Not quite true.... DVD MPEG-2 encoding allows for both interlaced or
    >>> progressive streams, however most DVD's don't use progressive as almost
    >>> all
    >>> players don't have progressive stream handling capability.

    >> Since there is *no* requirement in the DVD spec for a player to handle
    >> progressive encoding, this has turned into a de facto prohibition against
    >> progressive encoding.
    >>
    >> I don't know why people say things like "most DVD's don't use
    >> progressive"
    >> when the reality is that *no* commercial DVDs use progressive encoding.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jeff Rife |
    >> | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/SportOfKings.gif

    > Well since the OP mentioned it as an issue what is the diffrence between
    > the R-1 and r2 bitrates? Give me facts don't just say something "IS". Now
    > if they meant the extras are more compressed due to being squezed onto one
    > disc, that I can understand.. However it seems, from their description,
    > that all sets have the same movie on the main disc's so cant imagine there
    > would be a difference in the bitrates but I could be wrong. I have a R1
    > set coming in the mail so I can check R1 for myself if need be.

    I don't know the bitrates but the 'functional' difference is
    1. On the R1 edition the movie with 5.1 DD and a 45 minutes story board is
    on 1 disc (or side of the dvd18) + 3 subtitles + Peter Jackson audio
    commentary
    2. On the R2 edition the movie is on 1 disc with 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS and has
    more then 10 subtitles.+ Peter Jackson audio commentary

    So in theory I don't think there would be much difference: The 45 minutes
    storyboard or the DTS track would roughly take up the same amount of space
    leaving the remainder of the disc for the movie.

    btw. the storyboard on the R2 edition can be found on one of the two
    bonus-discs.

    Apart from this I did buy the German R2 box-set and must say : it blows away
    all other editions...long version with DTS, theatrical version anamorpic
    (the first R2 edition was not anamorphic), all the extra's nicely put on 2
    discs in stead of cramping them on 1 disc in a nice box-set

    I know this is a Dutch forum but on the bottom you can find 4 pictures of
    the German box-set
    http://www.dvd.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67955&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=70

    Have fun,
    Roy