"The Force is Back" (from DVDfile.com)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bill, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    The Force is Back - 12:01am
    After years of waiting, hype and hope, the rumors can at last be laid to
    rest: the holy grail of DVD will finally be released this September. Yes, it
    is the original Star Wars trilogy: Episodes IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The
    Empire Strikes Back (which many regard as the best in the series) and
    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

    While a full press release has yet to be issued, both Lucasfilm and Fox Home
    Entertainment confirmed today that the trilogy will touch down on September
    21st as a four-disc set, available in both anamorphic widescreen and full
    screen versions, containing the three films plus a bonus fourth disc with
    extras, a la the top-selling Adventures of Indiana Jones set released late
    last year. The films will not be sold separately, at least initially,
    according to Fox representatives.

    While the long-held rumor was that George Lucas would wait until the
    completion of Star Wars Episode III, due in theaters in May 2005, to release
    the original trilogy on DVD, Lucasfilm VP of Market Jim Ward revealed today
    that Lucas "found some time" in his schedule and "was willing and eager to
    make it happen."

    Today's announcement came early and without finalized specs due in part to
    the intense anticipation amongst consumers for the titles. "We are currently
    in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD
    release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy,"
    revealed Ward, not before adding with knowing understatement, "but I believe
    that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all
    media."

    According to Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn, both the studio and
    Lucasfilm arrived at the September 21st date to gain maximum exposure during
    the holiday season: "We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during
    two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he explained. "With that in mind,
    we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the
    most gentle sales curve decline on home video."

    While the full details on what extras will be included in the set are still
    pending, Ward promises that Lucasfilm "are creating added-value material
    that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun
    way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the
    movies for the first time." He also confirmed that rumors that Lucas would
    not contribute new audio commentaries to the set are false, although there
    are as of yet no exact details on which films will receive commentary
    tracks, and who will be among the participants.

    Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
    would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
    be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
    set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
    George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
    wanted to make."

    So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
    editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
    lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
    our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
    the sole version he wants available is this one."

    With no press release due for at least several weeks, watch this space for
    further updates as September 21st approaches. We'll keep you posted, and as
    always.... May the Force Be With You.

    Bill, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Bill

    Peter Koenig Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:56:51 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >The Force is Back - 12:01am
    >After years of waiting, hype and hope, the rumors can at last be laid to
    >rest: the holy grail of DVD will finally be released this September. Yes, it
    >is the original Star Wars trilogy: Episodes IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The
    >Empire Strikes Back (which many regard as the best in the series) and
    >Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

    >So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
    >editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
    >lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
    >our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
    >the sole version he wants available is this one."
    >
    >With no press release due for at least several weeks, watch this space for
    >further updates as September 21st approaches. We'll keep you posted, and as
    >always.... May the Force Be With You.

    This is a non-event for me. If it's not the original trilogy, I'm not
    buying.

    Peter Koenig

    Peter Koenig, Feb 10, 2004

  3. "Bill" <> writes:

    > Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
    > would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
    > be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
    > set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
    > George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
    > wanted to make."
    >
    > So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
    > editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
    > lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
    > our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
    > the sole version he wants available is this one."

    Guess I'll be holding onto my bootlegs of the REAL Star Wars movies.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Feb 10, 2004
  4. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:45:34 -0600, Peter Koenig <>
    wrote:

    >This is a non-event for me. If it's not the original trilogy, I'm not
    >buying.

    Same here.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Bill

    Justin Guest

    Peter Koenig wrote on [Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:45:34 -0600]:
    > On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:56:51 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:
    >
    >>So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
    >>editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
    >>lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
    >>our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
    >>the sole version he wants available is this one."
    >>
    >>With no press release due for at least several weeks, watch this space for
    >>further updates as September 21st approaches. We'll keep you posted, and as
    >>always.... May the Force Be With You.
    >>

    > This is a non-event for me. If it's not the original trilogy, I'm not
    > buying.

    Same here. Of course, even if they put out the original trilogy I'm not
    sure I'd buy now that the franchise has been ruined by Episode 1 and 2

    Justin, Feb 10, 2004
  6. "Roger Zoul" <> wrote in message
    > Justin wrote:
    > :: Peter Koenig wrote on [Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:45:34 -0600]:
    > ::: On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:56:51 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:
    > :::
    > :::: So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the
    > :::: altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't
    > :::: buy. "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward.
    > :::: "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about
    > :::: art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he
    > :::: wants available is this one."
    > ::::
    > :::: With no press release due for at least several weeks, watch this
    > :::: space for further updates as September 21st approaches. We'll keep
    > :::: you posted, and as always.... May the Force Be With You.
    > ::::
    > :::
    > :::
    > ::: This is a non-event for me. If it's not the original trilogy, I'm
    > ::: not buying.
    > :::
    > ::
    > :: Same here. Of course, even if they put out the original trilogy I'm
    > :: not sure I'd buy now that the franchise has been ruined by Episode 1
    > :: and 2
    >
    > Well, I'm buying it.

    I'm not. Then again, I won't buy it in any carnation it may or may not
    come. Star Wars=Zzzzzzzzz...

    Roger Zoul, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Bill

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Peter Koenig" <> wrote in message

    > This is a non-event for me. If it's not the original trilogy, I'm not
    > buying.

    I might have agreed once, but now the movies have been reduced from their
    once-high status as important milestones in American cinema to just an other
    entertainment franchise.

    As such, I'll buy the set if it looks like I'll get my money's worth in
    entertainment value. The revised versions are still at least as entertaining
    as most of today's sf action-adventure fare.

    Of course, this is easy for me to say. I still have my "Definitive
    Collection" laserdiscs, which I've long since digitized and burned to DVD
    for my personal convenience. I can still watch them if I want to go into
    "film historian" mode.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 10, 2004
  9. Lucasfilm did put out a press release about it today - but the details just
    arent in yet. I'm betting on the SE's with even more changes... maybe not
    that many tho...

    Lots of places to read about it but:
    http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/02/news20040210.html

    --

    Steve Jackson
    The DVD Cyber Center

    Steve Jackson, Feb 10, 2004
  10. "Bill" <> wrote in message
    @(^_^)@ Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been
    whether Lucas would allow the original, unaltered original editions of
    the trilogy to also be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who
    confirmed that the upcoming set will feature only the 1997 Special
    Edition versions of each film. "What George did in 1997," Ward explains,
    "was [to] make the movie he originally wanted to make." @(^_^)@

    @(^_^)@ So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the
    altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We
    realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not
    a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking.
    [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this
    one." @(^_^)@

    George Lucas isn't worried about lost sales. The purists who refuse to
    buy these altered versions of the original episodes will be more than
    offset by those who will buy the "fullscreen" versions. George Lucas has
    all the money he needs. What he craves now is power -- the power to
    screw over all fans of the original Star Wars movies.

    And you know what else? Carrie Fisher doesn't posses the rights her own
    image. Every time she looks into a mirror, she has to send George Lucas
    a check. Now that's power, and George is loving every minute of it!

    Oh well. In the context of intergalactic events, this is a non-issue.
    Five years from now, nobody will give a shit.

    May the farce be with you.

    Princess "George Cries All The Way To The Bank" Leia

    @(^_~)@

    Princess Leia, Feb 10, 2004
  11. Bill

    MST3KPIMP Guest

    whats funny is as soon as we have these you'll be like.. "ok... now what?"
    we've seen these films several times and its only the fact that they havent
    been availible that is making them the 'holy grail' Frankly I think Raiders of
    the lost ark was a more significant release. Howabout releasing KING
    motherfuckin KONG bitches!

    --
    "I put my life into that part John! Nobody else has dedicated
    themselves to Jason as much as I have!"

    Kane Hodder on being replaced in "Jason VS. Freddy"

    MST3KPIMP, Feb 10, 2004

  12. > the original Star Wars trilogy:

    No, it isn't. Period.

    Stroke of Eight, Feb 10, 2004
  13. Bill

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message news:<7G3Wb.22378$>...

    > So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
    > editions of the trilogy?

    Wait for the Super Expanded Collectors Edition sure to be released
    sometime after Episode III as a boxed set with expanded versions of
    all six movies. The only way to get the original version of IV, V, VI
    will be to buy this $200 special edition. ;^P

    I for one still have the original LD set, and bootlegs of that set on
    DVD so I don't have to flip discs. I see no reason to start buying the
    special editions now.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Feb 10, 2004
  14. Bill

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Peter Koenig <> wrote:

    > This is a non-event for me. If it's not the original trilogy, I'm not
    > buying.

    I don't even understand this. While there's a number of things that
    weren't improved in the SEs, there were more things that were.

    I have the originals. Even as nostalgia value, I don't even watch them
    anymore...

    Peter Briggs, Feb 10, 2004
  15. Bill

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Roger Zoul <> wrote:

    > Well, I'm buying it.

    You and me both, babe. Commentary track alone makes it a valuable
    addition. And I'm looking forward to the 4th disc. (Even KNOWING that
    I'm going to be buying the Super-Duper set again in 2006...)

    Peter Briggs, Feb 10, 2004
  16. Bill

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Scott Streeter <> wrote:

    > Guess I'll be holding onto my bootlegs of the REAL Star Wars movies.

    I have those too, and my question is..."WHY?!?!"

    Peter Briggs, Feb 10, 2004
  17. Bill

    Peter Briggs Guest

    MST3KPIMP <> wrote:

    > Howabout releasing KING
    > motherfuckin KONG bitches!

    Oddly enough, I just bought and watched the Region 2 version
    yesterday...and it still charmed me.

    Peter Briggs, Feb 10, 2004
  18. pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) writes:

    > Scott Streeter <> wrote:
    >
    > > Guess I'll be holding onto my bootlegs of the REAL Star Wars movies.

    > I have those too, and my question is..."WHY?!?!"

    Why not? I already have them. Not like I'm going to toss them out.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Feb 10, 2004
  19. Bill

    Justin Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote on [Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:37:38 +0000]:
    > Peter Koenig <> wrote:
    >
    >> This is a non-event for me. If it's not the original trilogy, I'm not
    >> buying.

    > I don't even understand this. While there's a number of things that
    > weren't improved in the SEs, there were more things that were.

    Greedo shoots first... More muppets.... stupid circle around death star
    when it explodes.

    Justin, Feb 10, 2004
  20. Bill

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Scott Streeter <> wrote:

    > > > Guess I'll be holding onto my bootlegs of the REAL Star Wars movies.

    > > I have those too, and my question is..."WHY?!?!"

    > Why not? I already have them. Not like I'm going to toss them out.

    So, you *will* be buying the new discs, then?

    Peter Briggs, Feb 10, 2004