The Floppy will not Die..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    XP, Nov 29, 2005

  2. XP wrote:

    > http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >
    > I could not live with out one..

    The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs
    with floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot
    from them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more
    data later.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 29, 2005

  3. XP

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:03:13 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > XP wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>
    >> I could not live with out one..

    > The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs
    > with floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot
    > from them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more
    > data later.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    CDRW's use UDF filesystems, and thats proprietory
    (both IIRC)

    Shane, Nov 29, 2005
  4. XP

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:03:13 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > XP wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>
    >> I could not live with out one..

    > The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs with
    > floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot from
    > them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more data
    > later.

    Does that get you around the 'Press F6 to install mass storage drivers'
    bit?

    Maybe my Windows skills are a bit rusty, but I couldn't get around
    requiring a real floppy for that on a recent Dell machine I had to deal
    with (no floppy drive, and the XP CD wouldn't recognise the SATA
    controller no matter what BIOS mode I put it in). The only alternatives
    seemed to be install a floppy drive or slipstream the drivers into a new
    XP CD.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 29, 2005
  5. XP

    AD. Guest

    AD., Nov 29, 2005
  6. XP

    David Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:03:13 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >

    >>XP wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>>
    >>>I could not live with out one..

    >>The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs
    >>with floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot
    >>from them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more
    >>data later.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Nicholas Sherlock

    > CDRW's use UDF filesystems, and thats proprietory
    > (both IIRC)

    Isnt that only if you want to do packet writing? You can just write it
    as a normal ISO, if you do multisession you can 'delete' existing files,
    it leaves the data there but prevents them from being listed. If thats
    not good enough, hell, for 1.44mb its still quicker to copy the existing
    files to a temp dir, add the ones you want then burn the whole disc
    again then to write a floppy.

    David, Nov 29, 2005
  7. XP

    Alan Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >
    > I could not live with out one..

    For the sake of $7 for a floppy drive, it seems like a no-brainer to
    install one.

    Put it this way - I cannot imagine ever regretting the $7 but you
    might seriously regret it if you don't.

    A $7 insurance policy to my way of thinking.

    Plus it allows you to have a variable boot up if necessary using
    something like Smart Boot Manager which can be re-configured each time
    you boot up (if you want) without fiddling with the boot records on
    your HDD.

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address

    Alan, Nov 29, 2005
  8. XP

    Rob Guest

    XP wrote:

    > http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >
    > I could not live with out one..

    I have managed for a few years without needing one although I do have a
    couple stashed away if absolutely needed (haven't yet). The ones I have
    seen installed tend to be so full of crud and dust from disuse that they
    are not very reliable. Besides, there is bugger all that will fit on
    one anymore.

    Now if you said a USB flashdrive then yes, used every day when out on
    site even more than CDs.

    Rob

    Rob, Nov 29, 2005
  9. XP

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:25:19 +1300, David wrote:

    > Shane wrote:

    >>>The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs
    >>>with floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot
    >>>from them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more
    >>>data later.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Nicholas Sherlock

    >> CDRW's use UDF filesystems, and thats proprietory
    >> (both IIRC)

    > Isnt that only if you want to do packet writing?

    Ah .. right you are

    Shane, Nov 29, 2005
  10. XP

    David Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "XP" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>
    >>I could not live with out one..
    >>

    > For the sake of $7 for a floppy drive, it seems like a no-brainer to
    > install one.
    >
    > Put it this way - I cannot imagine ever regretting the $7 but you
    > might seriously regret it if you don't.
    >
    > A $7 insurance policy to my way of thinking.
    >
    > Plus it allows you to have a variable boot up if necessary using
    > something like Smart Boot Manager which can be re-configured each time
    > you boot up (if you want) without fiddling with the boot records on
    > your HDD.
    >
    > Alan.

    What about the nero bootable CD floppy emulation options? They've always
    worked for me, i use them not because i don't have a floppy drive, but
    because CD-RWs are much more reliable

    David, Nov 29, 2005
  11. XP

    XP Guest

    wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>
    >> I could not live with out one..

    >The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs
    >with floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot
    >from them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more
    >data later.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Read the Article he Did...

    XP, Nov 29, 2005
  12. XP

    Alan Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> "XP" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>>
    >>> I could not live with out one..
    >>>

    >> For the sake of $7 for a floppy drive, it seems like a no-brainer
    >> to install one.
    >>
    >> Put it this way - I cannot imagine ever regretting the $7 but you
    >> might seriously regret it if you don't.
    >>
    >> A $7 insurance policy to my way of thinking.
    >>
    >> Plus it allows you to have a variable boot up if necessary using
    >> something like Smart Boot Manager which can be re-configured each
    >> time you boot up (if you want) without fiddling with the boot
    >> records on your HDD.
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    > What about the nero bootable CD floppy emulation options? They've
    > always worked for me, i use them not because i don't have a floppy
    > drive, but because CD-RWs are much more reliable

    Probably a fair solution, but two points from my persepctive:

    1) I don't have, and wouldn't ever go back to using Nero - just a
    personal preference.

    2) I don't recall *ever* having a floppy disk fail on me, so I
    wouldn't say there was any pratical difference in reliability.

    For example, I have a boot floppy in my PC that is used everyday when
    it boots up (for multi-booting purposes). It has been in use for
    about
    three years, and has never failed in what must amount to more than 600
    uses.

    If it ever did, I would just use another copy, so no big deal, and if
    it isn't there, the PC boots into a 'normal' default mode (Win2k)
    anyway,
    where I can re-create a boot floppy (or indeed a bootable CD) if
    required.

    All I am really saying is, for $7, why not have a FDD too? You might
    never need it, but for the one occasion you do in an emergency or if
    someone gives you something on a floppy, it is really convenient.

    I just don't see the downside. It's a bit like someone coming up to
    you in the street and giving you an envelope that contains either a
    $100 note or a piece of old newspaper. It *might* be old newspaper in
    which case you ditch it, but if so then what have you lost apart from
    30 seconds perhaps, but wouldn't you accept it 'just in case' it turns
    out to be $100?

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    The following is a (probably!) totally unique and meaningless string
    of
    characters that you can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Nov 29, 2005
  13. XP

    Alan Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > XP wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>
    >> I could not live with out one..
    >>

    > I have managed for a few years without needing one although I do
    > have a couple stashed away if absolutely needed (haven't yet). The
    > one I have seen installed tend to be so full of crud and dust from
    > disuse that they are not very reliable. Besides, there is bugger
    > all that will fit on one anymore.
    >
    > Now if you said a USB flashdrive then yes, used every day when out
    > on site even more than CDs.
    >
    > Rob

    Can you boot from a USB drive though?

    Surely you need an OS that recognises USB devices to be running before
    you can access it?

    Alan, Nov 29, 2005
  14. Alan wrote:
    > Can you boot from a USB drive though?
    >
    > Surely you need an OS that recognises USB devices to be running before
    > you can access it?

    No, most modern BIOSes can boot from USB devices such as USB cdroms, USB
    floppies, USB harddrives etc.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 29, 2005
  15. XP wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:03:13 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> XP wrote:
    >>> http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>>
    >>> I could not live with out one..

    >> The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs
    >> with floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot
    >>from them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more
    >> data later.

    > Read the Article he Did...

    Note that I said "CDRW" not "CDR". He never ever considers CDRWs, he
    just complains that he is wasting CDRs.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 29, 2005
  16. XP

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    XP wrote:
    > http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >
    > I could not live with out one..

    My new machine has one mounted internally, because it is used so
    infrequently, but is occasionally necessary. Out of sight, out of mind, but
    there if I need it. Just have to take the side of the case off to put the
    floppy in is all.

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 29, 2005
  17. XP

    Enkidu Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > 2) I don't recall *ever* having a floppy disk fail on me, so I
    > wouldn't say there was any pratical difference in reliability.

    I've had a fair number of floppies AND floppy drives fail on me.

    > ... if someone gives you something on a floppy, it is really
    > convenient.

    Like *one* high quality image?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 29, 2005
  18. XP

    David Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > XP wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>
    >>I could not live with out one..

    > My new machine has one mounted internally, because it is used so
    > infrequently, but is occasionally necessary. Out of sight, out of mind, but
    > there if I need it. Just have to take the side of the case off to put the
    > floppy in is all.

    Why not disconnect it when you aren't using it to save your AV from
    scanning it and save a little power?

    David, Nov 29, 2005
  19. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > XP wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=265
    >>
    >> I could not live with out one..

    > The writer of the article has clearly never considered burning CDRWs with
    > floppy images as a good replacement for floppies. Write them, boot from
    > them, erase them. Or just don't finalize your session and add more data
    > later.

    What about if you have a RAID array on which you would like to install XP?

    Tony,

    The Black Wibble, Nov 29, 2005
  20. XP

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:00:19 +1300, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >"David" <> wrote in message
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>> "XP" <> wrote in message

    >>> For the sake of $7 for a floppy drive, it seems like a no-brainer
    >>> to install one.
    >>>
    >>> Put it this way - I cannot imagine ever regretting the $7 but you
    >>> might seriously regret it if you don't.
    >>>
    >>> A $7 insurance policy to my way of thinking.
    >>>
    >>> Plus it allows you to have a variable boot up if necessary using
    >>> something like Smart Boot Manager which can be re-configured each
    >>> time you boot up (if you want) without fiddling with the boot
    >>> records on your HDD.
    >>>
    >>> Alan.
    >>>

    >> What about the nero bootable CD floppy emulation options? They've
    >> always worked for me, i use them not because i don't have a floppy
    >> drive, but because CD-RWs are much more reliable
    >>

    >Probably a fair solution, but two points from my persepctive:
    >
    >1) I don't have, and wouldn't ever go back to using Nero - just a
    >personal preference.
    >
    >2) I don't recall *ever* having a floppy disk fail on me, so I
    >wouldn't say there was any pratical difference in reliability.

    You're very lucky. I won't ever use a floppy without formatting it
    and checking it with NDD for bad sectors first. It seems that a lot
    of discs I have here, that were good are failing. These are older
    discs, most given to me, but which I formatted and tested. A friend
    who worked in the tropics said floppies lasted only a month or two.

    GraB, Nov 29, 2005