The Five Stages of HD-DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Derek Janssen, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--

    One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
    slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
    going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
    Blu-Ray's market lead:

    1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
    split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
    before the public decides!"

    2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
    more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go neutral!"

    3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
    Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"

    4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
    viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
    to on-demand downloads..."

    5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

    Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 28, 2007

  2. On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:35:33 GMT, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
    >
    >One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
    >slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
    >going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
    >Blu-Ray's market lead:

    Speaking of feisty, you should check out Ubuntu's forums on the issue.
    The PS3 Ubuntu distro will read and allow viewing of HD DVDs, and it runs
    on a PS3.

    There is a patch for the Linux kernel for the UDF file system. The
    Cell CPU is already in the Linux tree now, and the UDF file system soon
    will be.

    >1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
    >split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
    >before the public decides!"
    >
    >2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
    > more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go neutral!"
    >
    >3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
    >Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
    >
    >4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
    >viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
    >to on-demand downloads..."
    >
    >5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

    Whatever.

    >Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)

    Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
    skulls.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 28, 2007

  3. In message news:pPQUi.114$gl1.90@trndny09, Derek Janssen sprach forth the
    following:

    > Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
    >
    > One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
    > slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
    > going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
    > Blu-Ray's market lead:
    >
    > 1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
    > split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three
    > years before the public decides!"
    >
    > 2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry;
    > if
    > more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go
    > neutral!"
    >
    > 3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
    > Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
    >
    > 4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
    > viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
    > to on-demand downloads..."
    >
    > 5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

    Nothing is more so fudge-packingly gay as a format fanfag.

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Oct 28, 2007
  4. Derek Janssen

    Telstar Guest

    "ChairmanOfTheBored" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:35:33 GMT, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
    >>
    >>One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
    >>slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
    >>going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
    >>Blu-Ray's market lead:

    > Speaking of feisty, you should check out Ubuntu's forums on the issue.
    > The PS3 Ubuntu distro will read and allow viewing of HD DVDs, and it runs
    > on a PS3.
    >
    > There is a patch for the Linux kernel for the UDF file system. The
    > Cell CPU is already in the Linux tree now, and the UDF file system soon
    > will be.
    >>
    >>1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
    >>split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
    >>before the public decides!"
    >>
    >>2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
    >> more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go
    >> neutral!"
    >>
    >>3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
    >>Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
    >>
    >>4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
    >>viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
    >>to on-demand downloads..."
    >>
    >>5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

    > Whatever.
    >
    >>Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)
    >>

    > Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
    > skulls.

    No we don't. You are simply wrong...both will NOT survive. It is very much
    more likely that neither will.

    Telstar, Oct 28, 2007
  5. On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:28:09 -0700, "Telstar" <> wrote:

    >"ChairmanOfTheBored" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:35:33 GMT, Derek Janssen
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Not meaning to rattle sabers, just thought it was funny--
    >>>
    >>>One poster on one of the hi-def boards (with a little bit of a pro-Blu
    >>>slant) was pointing out how the "feisty" pro-HD-DVD camp seems to be
    >>>going through the Five Stages of Grief in their relationship with
    >>>Blu-Ray's market lead:

    >> Speaking of feisty, you should check out Ubuntu's forums on the issue.
    >> The PS3 Ubuntu distro will read and allow viewing of HD DVDs, and it runs
    >> on a PS3.
    >>
    >> There is a patch for the Linux kernel for the UDF file system. The
    >> Cell CPU is already in the Linux tree now, and the UDF file system soon
    >> will be.
    >>>
    >>>1) Denial - "Just keep holding out, the market is still showing a 50-50
    >>>split; with Paramount, the war could be going on for another three years
    >>>before the public decides!"
    >>>
    >>>2) Bargaining - "There's enough room for two formats in the industry; if
    >>> more people start buying dual players, maybe more studios can go
    >>> neutral!"
    >>>
    >>>3) Anger - "Hah, those Blu-ray gamer-d00ds and their
    >>>Playstations...Nyah, you can't even do PiP yet!"
    >>>
    >>>4) Despair - "It's pretty clear that the format war is already driving
    >>>viewers away from hard disk, we just have to start gearing the industry
    >>>to on-demand downloads..."
    >>>
    >>>5) Acceptance - (well, we're still working on that one)

    >> Whatever.
    >>
    >>>Derek Janssen (facing a new a.v.dvd world without Blu-Boy)
    >>>

    >> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
    >> skulls.

    >No we don't. You are simply wrong...both will NOT survive. It is very much
    >more likely that neither will.

    Your intelligence level (or lack thereof) is an insult to satellites
    "around the world".

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 28, 2007
  6. Derek Janssen

    T.B. Guest

    "ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

    > Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
    > skulls.

    Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped each
    other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.

    Dumbass.

    T.B.

    T.B., Oct 29, 2007
  7. On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:46:28 -0700, "T.B." <>
    wrote:

    >"ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:
    >
    >> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
    >> skulls.

    >Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped each
    >other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
    >
    >Dumbass.
    >
    >T.B.

    Fucking idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
    studios.

    SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.

    In other words, dumbfuck, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 29, 2007
  8. Derek Janssen

    T.B. Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

    >>> Whatever. Both will survive. Y'all need to get that through yer thick
    >>> skulls.

    >>Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped each
    >>other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
    >>
    >>Dumbass.
    >>
    >>T.B.
    >>

    > Fucking idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
    > studios.
    >
    > SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.
    >
    > In other words, dumbfuck, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

    Yo, clod.

    DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here is
    a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain you have
    taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.

    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html

    Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?

    T.B.

    T.B., Oct 29, 2007
  9. In message news:4726064d$0$28824$, T.B. sprach
    forth the following:

    > ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

    >>>Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped
    >>>each other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
    >>>
    >>>Dumbass.
    >>>
    >>>T.B.
    >>>

    >> Fucking idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
    >> studios.
    >>
    >> SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.
    >>
    >> In other words, dumbfuck, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

    > Yo, clod.
    >
    > DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats.

    DTS is NOT DVD-Audio, idiot.

    > Here is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a
    > brain you have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.

    It's "melon", idiot.

    > http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html

    This article only mentions DTS in passing, and not as a competitor to SACD.

    > Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?

    Nobody home up your momma's scab-infected **** except your moronic ass.

    plonk

    Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute, Oct 29, 2007
  10. Derek Janssen

    Richard C. Guest

    "T.B." <> wrote in message
    > ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

    >>>Yeah, for example, competing SACD and DTS audio formats really helped
    >>>each
    >>>other out and have since florished beyond all expectations.
    >>>
    >>>Dumbass.
    >>>
    >>>T.B.
    >>>

    >> Fucking idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
    >> studios.
    >>
    >> SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.
    >>
    >> In other words, dumbfuck, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

    > Yo, clod.
    >
    > DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here
    > is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain you
    > have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.
    >
    > http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html
    >
    > Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?
    >
    > T.B.

    =====================================
    The competing "hi-res" audio fromats are DVD-Audio and SACD.
    =====================================

    Richard C., Oct 29, 2007
  11. Derek Janssen

    T.B. Guest

    "Richard C." wrote:

    (snip)

    >> DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here
    >> is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain
    >> you have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.
    >>
    >> http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html
    >>
    >> Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?
    >>
    >> T.B.

    > =====================================
    > The competing "hi-res" audio fromats are DVD-Audio and SACD.
    > =====================================

    Hence the "DTS (DVD) audio." DVD Audio cds use(d) DTS encoding.

    T.B.

    T.B., Oct 29, 2007
  12. Derek Janssen

    T.B. Guest

    "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute" farted:

    > DTS is NOT DVD-Audio, idiot.

    "DVD Audio" cds use(d) DTS encoding, stupid. Comprehension not a strong
    point with you, eh?

    > Nobody home up your momma's scab-infected **** except your moronic ass.

    You and DoucheMatter make a perfect couple.

    > plonk

    Your hemorrhoids drop?

    T.B.

    T.B., Oct 29, 2007
  13. On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:11:36 -0700, "T.B." <>
    wrote:

    >Yo, clod.
    >
    >DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats.

    Idiot. DTS was around long before it "competed" against SACD for the
    audio CD realm.

    > Here is
    >a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain you have
    >taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.
    >
    >http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html
    >
    >Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?

    You're a fucking retard, and the manure truck just dumped on your
    retarded ass.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 30, 2007
  14. On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:57:52 -0700, "Richard C." <>
    wrote:

    >"T.B." <> wrote in message
    >> ChairmanOfTheBored" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

    >>> Fucking idiot. DTS as well as THX are in use by the movie industry
    >>> studios.
    >>>
    >>> SACD is a completely different animal altogether, idiot.
    >>>
    >>> In other words, dumbfuck, you are talking "Apples and Oranges".

    >> Yo, clod.
    >>
    >> DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here
    >> is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain you
    >> have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.
    >>
    >> http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html
    >>
    >> Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?
    >>
    >> T.B.

    >=====================================
    >The competing "hi-res" audio fromats are DVD-Audio and SACD.
    >=====================================

    Not are. WERE.

    And now BOTH are overshadowed by TrueHD, etc.

    Hell, even FLAC and OGG likely beats them, and it is on PCs!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 30, 2007
  15. ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    >>>Yo, clod.
    >>>DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here
    >>>is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain you
    >>>have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.
    >>>
    >>>http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html
    >>>
    >>>Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?

    >>=====================================
    >>The competing "hi-res" audio fromats are DVD-Audio and SACD.
    >>=====================================

    > Not are. WERE.
    >
    > And now BOTH are overshadowed by TrueHD, etc.

    No. There are no TrueHD CD's.

    This is a problem with reading posts too quickly in the hopes of
    responding to them.
    And nobody likes Angry People Who Are Wrong...They're just too silly.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 30, 2007
  16. On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:57:15 GMT, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    >>>=====================================
    >>>The competing "hi-res" audio fromats are DVD-Audio and SACD.
    >>>=====================================

    >> Not are. WERE.
    >>
    >> And now BOTH are overshadowed by TrueHD, etc.

    >No. There are no TrueHD CD's.
    >
    >This is a problem with reading posts too quickly in the hopes of
    >responding to them.
    >And nobody likes Angry People Who Are Wrong...They're just too silly.

    True HD DVDs! dingledorf!

    The data rate would not go on CDs, much less the size constraints.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 30, 2007
  17. ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:57:15 GMT, Derek Janssen
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    >>> Not are. WERE.
    >>>
    >>> And now BOTH are overshadowed by TrueHD, etc.

    >>No. There are no TrueHD CD's.
    >>
    >>This is a problem with reading posts too quickly in the hopes of
    >>responding to them.
    >>And nobody likes Angry People Who Are Wrong...They're just too silly.

    > True HD DVDs! dingledorf!

    ....Well, too bad nobody else in the thread was talking about them,
    wasn't it?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 30, 2007
  18. Derek Janssen

    Richard C. Guest

    "T.B." <> wrote in message
    > "Richard C." wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >>> DTS (DVD) audio and SACD were competing "hi-res" audio cd formats. Here
    >>> is a article from '05 that might illuminate that black hole of a brain
    >>> you have taking up space in that mellon-sized head of yours.
    >>>
    >>> http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/130868.html
    >>>
    >>> Can you hear me McFly? Anyone home?!?
    >>>
    >>> T.B.

    >> =====================================
    >> The competing "hi-res" audio fromats are DVD-Audio and SACD.
    >> =====================================

    > Hence the "DTS (DVD) audio." DVD Audio cds use(d) DTS encoding.
    >
    > T.B.

    =====================================
    DVD-Audio is NOT DTS!
    Some of them had a DVD-Video section that had DTS,
    But DVD-Audio was playable on DVD-Audio players only.
    ==============================

    Richard C., Oct 30, 2007
  19. Derek Janssen

    Richard C. Guest

    "T.B." <> wrote in message
    > "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute" farted:
    >
    >> DTS is NOT DVD-Audio, idiot.

    > "DVD Audio" cds use(d) DTS encoding, stupid. Comprehension not a strong
    > point with you, eh?

    Not on the true DVD-Audio section of the disc.
    The DTS section was only on some discs and worked on DVD-Video players.
    The DVD-Audio section required a player that could play DVD-Audio.

    Richard C., Oct 30, 2007