    According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    oldest internet service provider"

    Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?
    KewlKiwi, Dec 22, 2004

  2. KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
    > According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    > oldest internet service provider"
    >
    > Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
    a valid claim to this title.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 22, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 22, 2004
  4. KewlKiwi

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message
    > According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    > oldest internet service provider"
    >
    > Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    Important point: "first" is not the same as "oldest" - you have to still be
    alive to claim to be "old" :)
    C9H8O4, Dec 22, 2004
  5. KewlKiwi

    C9H8O4 Guest

    C9H8O4, Dec 22, 2004
  6. C9H8O4 said the following on 22/12/2004 9:09 p.m.:
    > "KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >>oldest internet service provider"
    >>
    >>Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    > Important point: "first" is not the same as "oldest" - you have to still be
    > alive to claim to be "old" :)

    By that definition then Ihug and KC have a shot at the title since they
    are still going (as is ICONZ sort of)

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 22, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 22, 2004
  8. Aspiringpsychopath said the following on 22/12/2004 10:42 p.m.:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:03:31 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
    >>
    >>>According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >>>oldest internet service provider"
    >>>
    >>>Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    >>I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
    >>a valid claim to this title.

    > The Cave was a BBS

    Which after they sorted out the shit users supplied limited internet
    access as did KCBBS

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 22, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 22, 2004
  10. On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:57:50 +1300, KewlKiwi <> wrote:

    >According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >oldest internet service provider"
    >
    >Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    No Actrix and possible one other that started at around the same time in
    Aulk, Jon Clark also ran one in Aulk,
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 22, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 22, 2004
  12. On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:03:31 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
    >> According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >> oldest internet service provider"
    >>
    >> Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    >I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
    >a valid claim to this title.

    The Cave was a BBS
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 22, 2004
  13. On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:03:31 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
    >> According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >> oldest internet service provider"
    >>
    >> Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    >I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
    >a valid claim to this title.

    The Cave was a BBS
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 22, 2004
  14. On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:13:33 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >C9H8O4 said the following on 22/12/2004 9:09 p.m.:
    >> "KewlKiwi" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >>>oldest internet service provider"
    >>>
    >>>Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    >> Important point: "first" is not the same as "oldest" - you have to still be
    >> alive to claim to be "old" :)
    >>

    >By that definition then Ihug and KC have a shot at the title since they
    >are still going (as is ICONZ sort of)

    Yes Jon Clark was behind ICONZ, it was then sold to MELCO
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 22, 2004
  15. On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:13:33 +1300, Collector»NZ <>

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 22, 2004
  16. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >> oldest internet service provider"
    >> Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    > I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
    > a valid claim to this title.

    I'm pretty sure that Earthlight were "one of the first", but not sure if
    they were called "ISP"s back then... so maybe it is a naming thing.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
    >> According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
    >> oldest internet service provider"
    >>
    >> Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

    >I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
    >a valid claim to this title.

    What about the service provided by the Wellington City Council? CityNet,
    was it?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 22, 2004
  19. In article <>,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 22, 2004
  20. KewlKiwi

    Mark S Guest

    I believe the Magic Tower (Paul Gillingwater?) had it first - Paul was a
    Unix geek for HP, I remember gophering, ftping, etc. At that stage most
    BBS's were still just BBS's and running on PCBoard or Wildcat.

    Mark S, Dec 23, 2004