The File Sizes of Pictures on my CDs Increased to Unreadable Sizes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Marful, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Marful

    Marful Guest

    Sounds more like they are being read incorrectly than the disk is corrupt.

    First off try it in another machine or even a DVD player if you can.

    <> wrote in message
    > OK, so I'm pretty stumped by this one and I've looked all over the net
    > for a solution without success.
    >
    > I have two CDs of professional photographs (.tiff formatted) that were
    > taken as part of a model shoot for my design company. The CDs worked
    > fine in the past and we have successfully used them for our website.
    >
    > However, now when I try to access the CDs on any machine, it will begin
    > to load the files in Windows Explorer before timing out. The reason it
    > times out, as far as I can tell, is that somehow the file sizes of the
    > pictures on the CDs has increased something like 10x. It makes them
    > unreadable from any machine I have tried.
    >
    > Assuming my CDs are corrupted, I tried ISOBuster but without success.
    > The program cannot read the CDs either.
    >
    > The CDs have been accessed on a Mac as well as a PC in the past. The
    > only thing I can think of is that somehow they got converted to .tif
    > from .jpeg - but I never did so and don't know of any programs that
    > would have done so automatically. However, a couple programs of note
    > that I have on my machine are GIMP and a work program called FileNet
    > IDM Web Viewer.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

  3. Re: The File Sizes of Pictures on my CDs Increased to UnreadableSizes

    wrote:
    > OK, so I'm pretty stumped by this one and I've looked all over the net
    > for a solution without success.
    >
    > I have two CDs of professional photographs (.tiff formatted) that were
    > taken as part of a model shoot for my design company. The CDs worked
    > fine in the past and we have successfully used them for our website.
    >
    > However, now when I try to access the CDs on any machine, it will begin
    > to load the files in Windows Explorer before timing out. The reason it
    > times out, as far as I can tell, is that somehow the file sizes of the
    > pictures on the CDs has increased something like 10x. It makes them
    > unreadable from any machine I have tried.
    >
    > Assuming my CDs are corrupted, I tried ISOBuster but without success.
    > The program cannot read the CDs either.
    >
    > The CDs have been accessed on a Mac as well as a PC in the past. The
    > only thing I can think of is that somehow they got converted to .tif
    > from .jpeg - but I never did so and don't know of any programs that
    > would have done so automatically. However, a couple programs of note
    > that I have on my machine are GIMP and a work program called FileNet
    > IDM Web Viewer.

    If the CDs are the exact same ones you've been using I don't think
    there's been any converting going on that would leave the files on the
    CDs different sizes. Have the CDs been damaged in any way? Scratches,
    scuffs, holes in the label, bent out of shape, etc??
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Marful

    Trax Guest

    Check out forceaspi http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

    Trax, Mar 5, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > I have two CDs of professional photographs (.tiff formatted) that were
    > taken as part of a model shoot for my design company. The CDs worked
    > fine in the past and we have successfully used them for our website.

    Hopefully, you converted them to .jpg or .png before using them on your
    web site.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2006
  6. Marful

    Dingus Guest

    > I have two CDs of professional photographs (.tiff formatted) that were
    > taken as part of a model shoot for my design company. The CDs worked
    > fine in the past and we have successfully used them for our website.
    >
    > However, now when I try to access the CDs on any machine, it will begin
    > to load the files in Windows Explorer before timing out. The reason it
    > times out, as far as I can tell, is that somehow the file sizes of the
    > pictures on the CDs has increased something like 10x. It makes them
    > unreadable from any machine I have tried.
    >
    > Assuming my CDs are corrupted, I tried ISOBuster but without success.
    > The program cannot read the CDs either.
    >
    > The CDs have been accessed on a Mac as well as a PC in the past. The
    > only thing I can think of is that somehow they got converted to .tif
    > from .jpeg - but I never did so and don't know of any programs that
    > would have done so automatically. However, a couple programs of note
    > that I have on my machine are GIMP and a work program called FileNet
    > IDM Web Viewer.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Is it possible that there are 2 sets of discs a... 1 set .jpeg, 1 set .tiff
    and you confused them? Are you the only one who has access to the discs?
    Maybe you have a copy of the original and don't know it.
    Are the discs CDRW? That would be the only way the discs could have been
    rewritten to an increased file size.
    The app. you are using to open the photos, can you open other discs of
    photos? both .tiff and .jpeg?
    D.
    Dingus, Mar 7, 2006
  7. Marful

    Guest

    Thanks. I've tried a couple machines and at your suggestion I tried in
    the DVD player. No luck, though.
    , Mar 8, 2006
  8. Marful

    Guest

    There are no real visible damages. I guess the reason I assumed this
    is not the issue is because the exact same thing has happened to both
    picture CDs.

    I'll try cleaning - thanks for the reply.
    , Mar 8, 2006
  9. Marful

    Guest

    I'm not sure how forceaspi can help me with this problem?
    , Mar 8, 2006
  10. Marful

    Guest

    , Mar 8, 2006
  11. Marful

    Guest

    No. There are not two sets of disks. However, I did have a web
    designer work with them for a while so I am not the only one who has
    accessed the discs.

    Not sure if the disks are CDR or CDRW. They were supplied by the
    photographer. At this point I can't access them to find out :(.

    The applications I have include standard Windows Picture and Fax
    viewer-type applications as well as the IDM Viewer in Filenet Content
    Manager (http://www.filenet.com/English/Products/Content_Manager/) and
    GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/). I don't know if these apps may have
    decided that they should be the primary app for the content on the
    disks and somehow converted them.

    Still at a loss, though. I appreciate the input.
    , Mar 8, 2006
  12. Marful

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Mar 8, 2006