The fight is over.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Preddy, Nov 26, 2003.

    1. Advertising

  1. George Preddy

    Steve Young Guest

    "George Preddy" <> wrote nonsense

    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=10.2 megapixel&bt

    nG=Google+Search

    what a joke

    salt the field and then use it as proof to claim victory

    very sad

    yes, I think the fight is over, unless you proceed with Bart's offer to a 'real'
    shootout

    otherwise, I think you're just whistling Dixie

    (blow a 1D into the weeds, such a way with words George;)
    Steve Young, Nov 26, 2003

  2. George Preddy

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:01:29 GMT, "Steve Young"
    <> wrote:

    >"George Preddy" <> wrote nonsense
    >
    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=10.2 megapixel&bt

    >nG=Google+Search
    >
    >what a joke
    >
    >salt the field and then use it as proof to claim victory
    >
    >very sad
    >
    >yes, I think the fight is over, unless you proceed with Bart's offer to a 'real'
    >shootout
    >
    >otherwise, I think you're just whistling Dixie
    >
    >(blow a 1D into the weeds, such a way with words George;)

    Stop responding to the zealot...........At one time I thought he was
    going to give up, but I now see him a religious fanatic who sincerely
    believes that we will all hang on his every word---and that he can
    just wear us down.

    Sigma is getting ready to sue him for slander

    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Nov 26, 2003
  3. George Preddy

    Steve Young Guest

    > >"Steve Young" <> wrote:

    > >what a joke

    > >salt the field and then use it as proof to claim victory

    > >very sad

    > >yes, the fight is over, unless you proceed with Bart's offer to a 'real'
    > >shootout

    > >otherwise, I think you're just whistling Dixie

    > >(blow a 1D into the weeds, such a way with words George)

    > "Mark Herring" <> wrote
    > Stop responding to the zealot...........At one time I thought he was
    > going to give up, but I now see him a religious fanatic who sincerely
    > believes that we will all hang on his every word---and that he can
    > just wear us down.

    How many 'stop responding' proclamations had you yourself
    made/observed? ;)

    > Sigma is getting ready to sue him for slander

    yeah they are
    Steve Young, Nov 26, 2003
  4. "Steve Young" <> wrote in message
    > "George Preddy" <> wrote nonsense
    >

    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=10.2 megapixel&b

    > nG=Google+Search

    Over.

    > yes, I think the fight is over, unless you proceed with Bart's offer to a

    'real'
    > shootout
    >
    > otherwise, I think you're just whistling Dixie
    >
    > (blow a 1D into the weeds, such a way with words George;)

    Obviously you know that I'm the only one who posted a resolution chart image
    (http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/resolution_chart), since those are the
    exact words I used when I posted it. Ooops, you screwed up--how pathetic.
    And yes, a 1Ds is a very low resolution camera (just as bad as the 10D), its
    additional sensors are used to build FOV, not more optical resolution--the
    sensor is bigger, not more densly packed--not surprised you didn't know
    that. Do we need to discuss why cropping isn't "optical zoom" or did you
    also fall for the "digital zoom" gimmick in addition to the Bayer "6MP" and
    "11MP" interpolated resolutions gimmick (thinking they were talking full
    color sensors when oops, they're actually counting 1/3rd color sensors).
    Let me guess, you bought a scanner based on its great "interpolated
    resolution" claim too, right?

    Yes, oh mislead one, with the same lens the SD9 will outresolve the 1Ds
    dramatically, very dramatically, exactly this dramatically...
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_05/essay.html You would know that
    if other DSLR users had the guts to post the shots they have already taken
    of the full color resolution chart, which I also linked above. But they
    can't, they've staked their credibility on a promise that their blurry, low
    res sensors have no hope of delivering.
    George Preddy, Nov 26, 2003
  5. "George Preddy" <> writes:

    > Obviously you know that I'm the only one who posted a resolution chart image
    > (http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/resolution_chart), since those are the
    > exact words I used when I posted it. Ooops, you screwed up--how pathetic.

    He's not the one that screwed up.

    The most interesting thing about that picture is the metallic vertical thingy.
    The top half clearly shows why you want an aliasing filter. The right
    edge is sligthly tilted compared to the sensor, so sometimes it is
    rendered as a clear line, sometimes washed out. Giving a wavy look.

    K2, if you read this: How far back do you have to back up from your
    monitor before those waves disappear? (For me it's 4 or more meters.
    I doubt that I could see the bayer "blur" from that distance as I
    cannot read this text, ant the height of the letters is about half the
    width of the metallic band.)

    There is of course the 4 mm between 15cm and 16cm on the rulers and
    the slanted pattern on the horisontal band at the bottom on the
    right. But these are details that you have to look close up to see,
    and are not so damaging IMO.
    --
    -asbjxrn
    Asbjørn Bjørnstad, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Is that why sigma's are now outselling other DSLR's George ?

    Betty Swallocks, Nov 27, 2003
  7. George Preddy

    Guest

    , Nov 27, 2003
  8. George Preddy

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:02:05 GMT, "Steve Young"
    <> wrote:

    >> "Mark Herring" <> wrote
    >> Stop responding to the zealot...........At one time I thought he was
    >> going to give up, but I now see him a religious fanatic who sincerely
    >> believes that we will all hang on his every word---and that he can
    >> just wear us down.

    >How many 'stop responding' proclamations had you yourself
    >made/observed? ;)

    I'm actually doing fairly well---I resist responding 90% of the time

    I'll stop if you do.......;)

    Seriously, Happy Turkey to all ( including all the Turkeys)
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Nov 27, 2003
  9. George Preddy, Nov 27, 2003
  10. George Preddy

    Andy Guest

    Andy, Nov 27, 2003
  11. George Preddy

    Guest

    In message <bq4mal$293$>,
    "George Preddy" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> In message <bq1rdc$qu4$>,
    >> "George Preddy" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=10.2 megapixel&b

    >> >nG=Google+Search

    >> Oh my! Marketing resorts to dishonesty to sell products!
    >>
    >> What will they think of next?

    >Advertising only the SD9's interpolated resolution, maybe?

    That would be a precedent in dishonesty. Standard Bayers actually
    measure something at each pixel; Fuji superCCDs *need* the doubled
    megapixels to hold all the detail captured. 13.7MP SD9/10 images have
    no reason whatsoever to exist, except to impress and deceive.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Nov 27, 2003
  12. "Andy" <> wrote in message

    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=10.2 megapixel&bt
    > > nG=Google+Search

    > Sigma is a junk I could be ashamed to take pictures in public by it.

    I'd rather use the dominant technology in public and have the ignorant
    wonder what it is, and be able to share those images, than use what the
    public understands and be too ashamed of it's output to post it in public.
    But that's just me, many, most, certianly the vast majority here, would
    rather have "Canon" printed on the front of a 1.58MP (6MP-interpolated)
    camera even if it costs a lot more and is woefully outclassed by a 3.43MP
    (14MP-interpolated) camera. It is a bold fashion statement that you too are
    suseptible to mass propaganda, afterall.
    George Preddy, Nov 28, 2003
  13. <> wrote in message
    > In message <bq4mal$293$>,
    > "George Preddy" <> wrote:
    >
    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> In message <bq1rdc$qu4$>,
    > >> "George Preddy" <> wrote:
    > >>

    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=10.2 megapixel&

    > >> Oh my! Marketing resorts to dishonesty to sell products!
    > >>
    > >> What will they think of next?

    > >Advertising only the SD9's interpolated resolution, maybe?

    > That would be a precedent in dishonesty. Standard Bayers actually
    > measure something at each pixel;

    Foveon doesn't actually measure anything, so your are rigtht. Secretly, I
    know that.
    George Preddy, Nov 28, 2003
  14. George Preddy

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Mark Herring wrote:

    > Sigma is getting ready to sue him for slander

    Yeah, in fact I was wondering if dear ole' George
    worked for Tamron... ;-)
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 30, 2003