The fear of VISTA (All about x64)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Robert, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    >From several sources, there are hardships explaining that x64 is so
    ahead of its time (software-wise) that hardly anything will run on it
    (such as drivers, applications, firewalls, anti-virus') and report that
    once Vista comes out, x64 will be obsolete. Is this somewhat true?

    Explain please. Thanks -Rob

    Robert, Aug 13, 2006

  2. Robert

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On 13 Aug 2006 02:16:31 -0700, "Robert" <> wrote:

    >and report that once Vista comes out, x64 will be obsolete. Is this somewhat true?

    I better hope not. Vista will be in such a bloated stated, full off all
    kind of crap which 90% of the users doesn't actually need, filling up gigs
    of hard-disk space and eating loads of RAM. Yuck! They will have to pry
    XP64 from my dead hands, before I give up using it :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 13, 2006

  3. They will have to pry XP64 from my dead hands, before I give up using it
    :)

    or, simply stop supporting it - Win2K is a gone'er, already! (sob. . .)

    (6 years, and the next best thing. Not counting SLED, of course!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006
  4. Robert

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:23:23 +0200, "Tony Sperling"
    <> wrote:

    >or, simply stop supporting it - Win2K is a gone'er, already! (sob. . .)

    Darned true. 2k was mighty fine indeed.

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 13, 2006
  5. Robert

    John Barnes Guest

    Strange, since the software was 2 years behind the hardware and if I recall
    even Linux 64 beat it. There is virtually no installed base, so who is
    going to do anything to fix anything that already doesn't work on x64 when
    Vista is only a few months away.
    Incidentally, one more nail in the coffin of 64-bit operating systems is
    that computers are going to start shipping as early as October with coupons
    to upgrade XP to Vista. Since there is no direct upgrade from x64 to Vista
    64, what computer maker is going to ship anything but XP86 adding to the
    64-bit OS woes. One thing that makes Vista64 even feasable is that so many
    old programs (as of beta2) won't even install on Vista 86 so new computer
    buyers (after it ships) will have to buy mostly ALL NEW software anyway and
    all with the Vista logo supposedly will have to run on both versions, though
    again maybe all features don't have to work on both. How many months to
    years will computer buyers be trying to find replacements for features they
    depemd on. Been 1 1/2 years and I still can't replace functions I really
    liked on my XP 86 on the x64 I use. At this point some aren't available and
    others I don't want to waste the money on in case they won't work on Vista,
    if I decide to install it. Still dual booting (though only on XP86 a couple
    of times a month).

    John Barnes, Aug 13, 2006
  6. Robert

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 05:41:51 -0700, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    How will the compatibility be of 64-bit drivers for XP64 and Vista 64? Are
    they compatible? Are they easy to adapt once they are ready for 64-bit? Or
    does Vista have a complete new driver architecture?

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 13, 2006
  7. As I have come to understand it, there will be a new driver architecture
    developed for Vista, but the existing internal support for the old
    architecture will not be removed right away - so the answer perhaps will be:
    "it all depends!" Since driver programing is said to be a bit involved, what
    kind of drivers will be developed might be an extension of what we have been
    seing with 64bit development. If the new architecture enables a more
    economical development, we can bet that all driver development will progress
    into that. If the new architecture targets specific functions that will
    become standard in the future, then there is some likelihood that it will be
    more economic to keep writing the old kind of drivers for as long as
    possible instead of having to educate everybody all at once for the new
    style.

    Then again, since hardly any driver development has been taking place for a
    long time, perhaps they was sending everybody back in school, in preparation
    for something they didn't really know too much about in the first place,
    then hardly any 'old' driver will be issued for much longer. (It's alright
    to panic!)

    I may be a decent analyzer - but I am known to be wrong!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 13, 2006
  8. x64 drivers for Vista and XP are different, but if an XP driver is signed,
    it can be used in Vista. Usually without problems. The big change is to get
    the driver to 64bits.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2006
  9. Robert -
    There's a useful whitepaper on the Windows XP 64bit web site that I
    think should help you decide:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2006
  10. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Very nice article, Charlie. I would recommend letting others use it as
    their decision between x86 and x64. Very helpful in making a decision.

    Thanks -Rob

    Robert, Aug 13, 2006
  11. The application and hardware driver situation with Vista x64 will not be as
    much of a problem as it has been for XP x64. A manufacturer cannot get a
    Vista logo without doing both x86 and x64 drivers, so the situation for
    those wanting to use Vista x64 should be about the same as for Vista x86
    users for those buying preinstalled systems or whose hardware is very
    recent.

    XP Pro x64 will retain a much smaller user base than Vista x64 and I don't
    plan to stay with it for very long after Vista releases. I don't expect
    much new support for XP x64 from vendors after Vista launch.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 13, 2006
  12. Thank you. That's why I wrote it. And I got a lot of freedom from the x64
    product group to be quite frank, which I really appreciated.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  13. Where do I start. Anti-piracy measures and DRM that might legally keep me
    from backing up my own bought material or running software to do same. MS
    has had a bad track of sending "information" back to itself without telling
    users about it and what they are sending. Interface has changed to the point
    it gave me a head ache trying to reconfigure the beta so I would have half a
    thought I knew what I was doing. Hardware wont work I already own because of
    no drivers for it and a lot of vendors dont view driver support as an
    investment in future sales; look at x64 as an example of that (MS should take
    the lead on this one). Software that wont work because... well MS fixes
    security bugs so well that the software can not run. Somehow in the process
    they create to more flaws, bloated code and extras that take up too much
    hard drive space, processor time and memory. Security flaws they neglected
    to tell us about because they haven't figured out how to fix them yet but 24
    hours after it is released some 12 year old wanna-be hacker finds and posts
    on the web. Nahh, I just worry to much. It will be fine. I will be able
    to run all my programs, use all my hardware and not see any mysterious packet
    drain. Oh yeah, while I am at it, anyone interested in some swamp land in
    Florida or stock in the Golden Gate Bridge?
    --
    Wherever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
    saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 20, 2006