THE FALL OF THE 20D !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Well, bad news sports fans!
    I was out yesterday taking pics of the sandhill cranes (see links
    below), and my trusty 20D took a bad fall off a handrail onto a wooden
    deck. It was probably my fault since I had my shutter release cable
    plugged into the 20D with the other end in my pocket. I turned around
    and heard a terrible THUNK! as the 20D came crashing down with the 400
    f/5.6L attached.
    Part of the battery cover was broken, but that seems to be the only
    damage. Good thing Canon makes their cameras and lenses so sturdy,
    huh? Otherwise, this post would be titled, "ANNI ORDERS A 5D !!!"

    The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off. I
    was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.

    I've already ordered a replacement battery cover (only cost $15) so I
    shouldn't be without the 20D for long. Good thing I got a good backup
    in the Totally Digital D60. Anyways, here are some of the final shots
    taken with the 20D .... for now.

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55070833
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099948
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099953

    Annika1980, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Annika1980 wrote:
    > Well, bad news sports fans!
    > I was out yesterday taking pics of the sandhill cranes (see links
    > below), and my trusty 20D took a bad fall off a handrail onto a wooden
    > deck. It was probably my fault since I had my shutter release cable
    > plugged into the 20D with the other end in my pocket. I turned around
    > and heard a terrible THUNK! as the 20D came crashing down with the 400
    > f/5.6L attached.
    > Part of the battery cover was broken, but that seems to be the only
    > damage. Good thing Canon makes their cameras and lenses so sturdy,
    > huh? Otherwise, this post would be titled, "ANNI ORDERS A 5D !!!"
    >
    > The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    > easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off. I
    > was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    > D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.
    >
    > I've already ordered a replacement battery cover (only cost $15) so I
    > shouldn't be without the 20D for long. Good thing I got a good backup
    > in the Totally Digital D60. Anyways, here are some of the final shots
    > taken with the 20D .... for now.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55070833
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099948
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099953

    Hi Bret,
    Nice that you live so close to sandhill cranes. Its an
    8-hour drive for me to go to Bosque del Apache.

    When I was in Australia, I sat my 1D Mark II on a bench,
    then mistakenly moved and it slid off onto concrete.
    Major thud! I check it out, and not only not
    a scratch, but everything worked perfectly. Whew!

    On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
    Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
    you for more effective images. Your second image, the bird
    is heading away from you, so you just see the bird's back and
    back of its head. Of course all photo rules should be broken
    at times (just my opinion), like this completely back side shot:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird/web/c12.16.2002.IMG_1336.b-600.html

    If you look at my bird page,
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird
    notice the wing positions on side views: the far wing
    is ahead of the near wing, so the bird is tilted toward
    the camera. In your last image of the crane in flight, the close
    wing is ahead, and not only does that indicate the bird is headed
    away, but the wing blocks a lot of the view. A few seconds
    earlier would have had the bird tilted toward you.

    The it also helps if you can catch the bird's head when
    he/she turns toward you. A lot of this can be accomplished
    by correct positioning in the field. Try and get to
    where the birds will be flying towards you, not away, and as
    soon as they pass that away point, go for another subject.

    Are you doing these handheld, or do you have a Wimberly head yet?
    My first bird photo trip I was using a pan head and everyone said
    I need a wimberly. They were right.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 22, 2006

  3. Annika1980

    Tesco News Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > Well, bad news sports fans!
    > I was out yesterday taking pics of the sandhill cranes (see links
    > below), and my trusty 20D took a bad fall off a handrail onto a wooden
    > deck. It was probably my fault since I had my shutter release cable
    > plugged into the 20D with the other end in my pocket. I turned around
    > and heard a terrible THUNK! as the 20D came crashing down with the 400
    > f/5.6L attached.
    > Part of the battery cover was broken, but that seems to be the only
    > damage. Good thing Canon makes their cameras and lenses so sturdy,
    > huh? Otherwise, this post would be titled, "ANNI ORDERS A 5D !!!"
    >
    > The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    > easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off. I
    > was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    > D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.
    >
    > I've already ordered a replacement battery cover (only cost $15) so I
    > shouldn't be without the 20D for long. Good thing I got a good backup
    > in the Totally Digital D60. Anyways, here are some of the final shots
    > taken with the 20D .... for now.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55070833
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099948
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099953

    Bad luck, Annika.

    I do hope you were not thinking about your sex session of the other night,
    instead of concentrating on your photography. As I said - "Priorities"

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Annika1980

    Matt Ion Guest

    Did you at least get a good shot of the railing at the moment of impact?

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > Well, bad news sports fans!
    > I was out yesterday taking pics of the sandhill cranes (see links
    > below), and my trusty 20D took a bad fall off a handrail onto a wooden
    > deck. It was probably my fault since I had my shutter release cable
    > plugged into the 20D with the other end in my pocket. I turned around
    > and heard a terrible THUNK! as the 20D came crashing down with the 400
    > f/5.6L attached.
    > Part of the battery cover was broken, but that seems to be the only
    > damage. Good thing Canon makes their cameras and lenses so sturdy,
    > huh? Otherwise, this post would be titled, "ANNI ORDERS A 5D !!!"
    >
    > The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    > easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off. I
    > was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    > D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.
    >
    > I've already ordered a replacement battery cover (only cost $15) so I
    > shouldn't be without the 20D for long. Good thing I got a good backup
    > in the Totally Digital D60. Anyways, here are some of the final shots
    > taken with the 20D .... for now.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55070833
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099948
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099953

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0603-4, 01/20/2006
    Tested on: 1/21/2006 4:21:28 PM

    Matt Ion, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Annika1980 wrote:
    >..
    > The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    > easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off.
    > I was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    > D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.

    Nice shots of some nice birds.

    BTW the reason the battery cover is removable is to attach the external
    battery back. Glad it worked out well for you.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 22, 2006
  6. Annika1980

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 21 Jan 2006 15:58:13 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    wrote:

    >Well, bad news sports fans!
    >I was out yesterday taking pics of the sandhill cranes (see links
    >below), and my trusty 20D took a bad fall off a handrail onto a wooden
    >deck. It was probably my fault since I had my shutter release cable
    >plugged into the 20D with the other end in my pocket. I turned around
    >and heard a terrible THUNK! as the 20D came crashing down with the 400
    >f/5.6L attached.
    >Part of the battery cover was broken, but that seems to be the only
    >damage. Good thing Canon makes their cameras and lenses so sturdy,
    >huh? Otherwise, this post would be titled, "ANNI ORDERS A 5D !!!"
    >
    >The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    >easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off. I
    >was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    >D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.
    >
    >I've already ordered a replacement battery cover (only cost $15) so I
    >shouldn't be without the 20D for long. Good thing I got a good backup
    >in the Totally Digital D60. Anyways, here are some of the final shots
    >taken with the 20D .... for now.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55070833
    >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099948
    >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099953

    Ouch!
    I have nightmares about dropping my DRebel with either of my two new
    lenses.
    When I put it down, I always make sure the neck strap is away from the
    edge of whatever it's on, to help minimize the chances of it being
    pulled off. And we have tile floors!

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jan 22, 2006
  7. Annika1980

    JohnR66 Guest

    > Well, bad news sports fans!
    > I was out yesterday taking pics of the sandhill cranes (see links
    > below), and my trusty 20D took a bad fall off a handrail onto a wooden
    > deck. It was probably my fault since I had my shutter release cable
    > plugged into the 20D with the other end in my pocket. I turned around
    > and heard a terrible THUNK! as the 20D came crashing down with the 400
    > f/5.6L attached.
    > Part of the battery cover was broken, but that seems to be the only
    > damage. Good thing Canon makes their cameras and lenses so sturdy,
    > huh? Otherwise, this post would be titled, "ANNI ORDERS A 5D !!!"
    >
    > The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    > easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off. I
    > was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    > D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.
    >
    > I've already ordered a replacement battery cover (only cost $15) so I
    > shouldn't be without the 20D for long. Good thing I got a good backup
    > in the Totally Digital D60. Anyways, here are some of the final shots
    > taken with the 20D .... for now.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55070833
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099948
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099953

    I'm glad to hear the camera works fine after the spill. It is good the
    engineers are keeping these complex machines rugged. The electronics should
    be rugged. It is the mechanical parts that take the beating in a fall.

    BTW, My dRebel has a little clip that holds the battery in, so it will still
    function with the battery cover off (it has the release hinge thingy too).
    Perhaps the 20D has this and you can keep shooting.

    Now, after having that L glass and camera hit the deck, the deck should be
    examined by a structural engineer to be sure it is still safe to stand on
    : )
    John

    JohnR66, Jan 22, 2006
  8. Annika1980

    AlanW Guest

    Hi Annika,

    Sorry to hear about the fall but glad damage was minimal. Serious
    amateurs may want to consider buying Valuable Article Insurance
    Coverage for their cameras. It is usually a relatively inexpensive add
    on to homeowners or renters insurance policies. It is "all risk" and
    would cover damage to cameras and lenses; theft; etc. It is readily
    available in the U.S., Europe and Australia.

    I enjoy your photos - please keep them coming.

    Alan

    AlanW, Jan 22, 2006
  9. Bill Funk wrote:

    > On 21 Jan 2006 15:58:13 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Well, bad news sports fans!
    >>I was out yesterday taking pics of the sandhill cranes (see links
    >>below), and my trusty 20D took a bad fall off a handrail onto a wooden
    >>deck. It was probably my fault since I had my shutter release cable
    >>plugged into the 20D with the other end in my pocket. I turned around
    >>and heard a terrible THUNK! as the 20D came crashing down with the 400
    >>f/5.6L attached.
    >>Part of the battery cover was broken, but that seems to be the only
    >>damage. Good thing Canon makes their cameras and lenses so sturdy,
    >>huh? Otherwise, this post would be titled, "ANNI ORDERS A 5D !!!"
    >>
    >>The good news is that the battery cover is designed to be replaced
    >>easily. You just squeeze a tiny metal thingy and it pops right off. I
    >>was hoping I could just pop the battery cover off my Totally Digital
    >>D60 to replace it, but alas, they are different sizes.
    >>
    >>I've already ordered a replacement battery cover (only cost $15) so I
    >>shouldn't be without the 20D for long. Good thing I got a good backup
    >>in the Totally Digital D60. Anyways, here are some of the final shots
    >>taken with the 20D .... for now.
    >>
    >>http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55070833
    >>http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099948
    >>http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/55099953

    > Ouch!
    > I have nightmares about dropping my DRebel with either of my two new
    > lenses.

    Me too. I just got a 500 mm f 4.0 l IS USM and I sure would like to go out
    and try it, but I rather wait until all the ice is gone... Walling with a
    such a lense on a 20D may hurt my bank account a lot...

    Nice pictures!!

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/Foto/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Jan 22, 2006
  10. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
    >Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
    >you for more effective images.

    That's good advice, Roger, but sometimes difficult to accomplish in the
    field, especially when there are lots of other people around. The big
    birds that I'm after (eagles & cranes) don't like people so it seems
    they fly away from you a lot more than toward you. Even when they get
    spooked by something else their instincts take them away from where the
    people are.
    I've scouted out a few areas where there are no people due to all the
    "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted there, so I may use some of those in the
    future assuming I wanna risk getting shot. I've also considered other
    methods to make the birds fly toward me. Have you had any experience
    with remote explosives?

    >Are you doing these handheld, or do you have a Wimberly head yet?
    >My first bird photo trip I was using a pan head and everyone said
    >I need a wimberly. They were right.

    Yeah, I do all my "birds in flight" shots handheld. I don't even own a
    ballhead. I'd love to have a Wimberly (either the big one or the
    smaller Sidekick model), but alas, I don't have your budget. I saw a
    girl using a cheapo ($100) Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol-grip head that made
    it very easy to track the birds in flight, so I might get one of these.

    I'm assuming you use the big Wimberly head with your 500 f/4L? That
    must be a sweet combo!
    Now that the cranes are peaking around here, howz about loaning it to
    me for a few weeks? I promise I won't drop it.
    Ha ha.

    Annika1980, Jan 22, 2006
  11. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
    >Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
    >you for more effective images. Your second image, the bird
    >is heading away from you, so you just see the bird's back and
    >back of its head.

    Here's one that might be more to your liking:

    http://www.pbase.com/image/55167158

    Annika1980, Jan 22, 2006
  12. Annika1980 wrote:
    >>On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
    >>Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
    >>you for more effective images.

    > That's good advice, Roger, but sometimes difficult to accomplish in the
    > field, especially when there are lots of other people around. The big
    > birds that I'm after (eagles & cranes) don't like people so it seems
    > they fly away from you a lot more than toward you. Even when they get
    > spooked by something else their instincts take them away from where the
    > people are.
    > I've scouted out a few areas where there are no people due to all the
    > "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted there, so I may use some of those in the
    > future assuming I wanna risk getting shot. I've also considered other
    > methods to make the birds fly toward me. Have you had any experience
    > with remote explosives?

    Actually, if there are a lot of people, and the birds shy away
    from people, then just position yourself away from people.
    That worked well for me one time at Bosque. A famous professional
    photographer was there and a bunch of groupies were surrounding
    him (he wasn't trying to attract them). The cranes were taking
    off avoiding the crowd. The crowd would move to the
    flight path of the cranes, so the cranes would shift. I just
    kept away from the crowd and the cranes kept coming toward me.

    When going after raptors, it helps to bring along a small
    pet (cat or dog). They just stare at the pet and ignore
    the photographers. Just don't get too far from the pet!

    No I have no explosives experience.

    >>Are you doing these handheld, or do you have a Wimberly head yet?
    >>My first bird photo trip I was using a pan head and everyone said
    >>I need a wimberly. They were right.

    > Yeah, I do all my "birds in flight" shots handheld. I don't even own a
    > ballhead. I'd love to have a Wimberly (either the big one or the
    > smaller Sidekick model), but alas, I don't have your budget. I saw a
    > girl using a cheapo ($100) Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol-grip head that made
    > it very easy to track the birds in flight, so I might get one of these.

    Well, you've done OK getting equipment. It just takes time
    to acquire this stuff unless you are really rich.
    I have the sidekick and the full wimberly. The sidekick
    works well with my 300 f/4 + TCs.

    > I'm assuming you use the big Wimberly head with your 500 f/4L? That
    > must be a sweet combo!

    Yes, The sidekick is too small for the 500 (it can be used but
    is not good enough in my opinion). I do use the big wimberly
    for the 500. You need a good carbon fiber tripod to go with
    it, so the tripod +wimberly +plates is about $1400.
    Ultimately, you need the equipment to get the performance.
    I tried to go cheaper, but found it just wasn't good enough,
    so I had to get the equipment if I wanted the shots. Once
    you have the right equipment, you no longer have to fight it,
    so you can just have fun taking pictures.

    > Now that the cranes are peaking around here, howz about loaning it to
    > me for a few weeks? I promise I won't drop it.
    > Ha ha.

    Well, you could always rent one ;-). If we are ever in the field
    together, you can put your 20D on my 500 with the wimberly
    to test it out.
    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 23, 2006
  13. Annika1980 wrote:

    >>On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
    >>Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
    >>you for more effective images. Your second image, the bird
    >>is heading away from you, so you just see the bird's back and
    >>back of its head.

    > Here's one that might be more to your liking:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/55167158

    Yes, better; they are coming toward you. A few seconds later
    weren't they above the trees, so less clutter in the shot?
    The sun angle looks awfully high. Sunrise/sunset would
    have better lighting. Then the phase angle, the angle from
    the sun to the subject to the camera, is greater than
    90 degrees, so the birds are backlit--very tough photography.
    The sun is to your left. Can you get more to the left?
    Maybe some camo would help, like a camo poncho over
    you and the lens. Then the trick is to wait
    for something interesting to happen, like an in-flight
    fight, or interesting formation.

    So not only is your position in the flight path important,
    but so is the position of the sun, both height and azimuth.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 23, 2006
  14. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:58:04 -0800, Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) <> wrote:
    > When going after raptors, it helps to bring along a small
    > pet (cat or dog). They just stare at the pet and ignore
    > the photographers. Just don't get too far from the pet!

    Hah. The family living next door to my parents had a scare a few years
    back because a hawk decided to use their backyard as a dining room (lots
    of rat parts appearing on a regular basis), and they had a YappyDog that
    was not too much bigger than what the hawk would think of as dinner. No
    harm done, but much stomach acid generated.

    Also speaking of raptors, I saw a large hawk of some sort on my way to
    work this morning. Very unusual for my area of Chicago; it was just
    sitting in a tree enjoying the morning. I grabbed a bunch of shots,
    including one of the hawk staring right at me, clearly thinking "who's
    that idiot pointing a camera at me?"

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 23, 2006
  15. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/55167158

    >Yes, better; they are coming toward you. A few seconds later
    >weren't they above the trees, so less clutter in the shot?
    >The sun angle looks awfully high. Sunrise/sunset would
    >have better lighting. Then the phase angle, the angle from
    >the sun to the subject to the camera, is greater than
    >90 degrees, so the birds are backlit--very tough photography.
    >The sun is to your left. Can you get more to the left?

    The sun was actually pretty low when I took that pic, only a short time
    before sunset and an even shorter time before disappearing behind
    clouds. Also, the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge is pretty strict about
    where you can go (and where you can't).
    Everyone must be on a small observation deck with a big tree in front
    of us and more trees to the right and a building to the left.
    IOW, it isn't a very well designed observation platform. Getting
    closeup shots of the birds flying toward you is next to impossible.
    Sometimes they will fly right overhead from behind the trees so those
    shots are pretty uninteresting as well. They even built a nice new
    covered platform right on the river to view the cranes and eagles.
    Only prob is that they decided not to cut the trees in front of the
    platform so the view is obstructed by the trees. At least until I get
    my hands on a lightweight McCullough.

    Annika1980, Jan 23, 2006
  16. Annika1980 wrote:

    > The sun was actually pretty low when I took that pic, only a short time
    > before sunset and an even shorter time before disappearing behind
    > clouds. Also, the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge is pretty strict about
    > where you can go (and where you can't).
    > Everyone must be on a small observation deck with a big tree in front
    > of us and more trees to the right and a building to the left.
    > IOW, it isn't a very well designed observation platform. Getting
    > closeup shots of the birds flying toward you is next to impossible.
    > Sometimes they will fly right overhead from behind the trees so those
    > shots are pretty uninteresting as well. They even built a nice new
    > covered platform right on the river to view the cranes and eagles.
    > Only prob is that they decided not to cut the trees in front of the
    > platform so the view is obstructed by the trees. At least until I get
    > my hands on a lightweight McCullough.

    OK, I understand. You might talk to the local superintendent
    and see if they might change some policies. Whether you
    can get a change really will depend on their openness and
    their perceived impact on the birds.

    I guess that is what makes Bosque so unique--many good
    photo ops at close range. Of course, having longer
    focal length helps too.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 23, 2006
  17. Annika1980

    gpsman Guest

    Annika1980 wrote: <brevity snip>
    > I've scouted out a few areas where there are no people due to all the
    > "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted there, so I may use some of those in the
    > future assuming I wanna risk getting shot.

    -----
    'Tis always easier and more expedient to receive forgiveness rather
    than permission.
    -----

    - gpsman

    gpsman, Jan 23, 2006
  18. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >'Tis always easier and more expedient to receive forgiveness rather
    >than permission.

    Around these parts, if you trespass on some good old boy's land, there
    won't be much time to be asking forgiveness.
    You'll be too busy running and ducking the bullets.
    Ever see "Deliverance?"
    When you hear the banjo music ..... run!

    Annika1980, Jan 24, 2006