The Factors Affecting Blu-Ray Adoption

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by whosbest54, Sep 8, 2010.

  1. whosbest54

    whosbest54 Guest

    Since I started the Blu-Ray copy protection and updates thread that has become pretty bloated,
    I decided it was time to start a new thread about Blu-Ray adoption in general.

    Just from my general observations over time, I knew that the issue of updates, copy protection
    and what consumers expect a player to be - an "appliance" type unit that can normally be
    depended on to work all the time - or something that needs more tech savvy support for
    updates, isn't the only issue affecting Blu-Ray adoption.

    A quick web search easily found a decent and fairly recent article about most of the factors
    affecting Blu-Ray adoption:

    <http://www.edn.com/article/509888-Blu_ray_Dogged_by_delays_will_it_still_have_its_day_.php>

    For me, the bottom line is I don't invest in technology until it has fairly decent mass
    consumer acceptance and the entry prices are reasonable for my pocketbook, and Blu-Ray isn't
    there yet. I expect at some point in the near future it will be. Obviously, for others, they
    feel it is there, and I respect that and hope they enjoy their players and discs.

    whosbest54

    http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

    http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

    whosbest54, Sep 8, 2010

  2. On 9/8/10 PDT 9:59 AM, whosbest54 wrote:
    > Since I started the Blu-Ray copy protection and updates thread that has become pretty bloated,
    > I decided it was time to start a new thread about Blu-Ray adoption in general.
    >
    > Just from my general observations over time, I knew that the issue of updates, copy protection
    > and what consumers expect a player to be - an "appliance" type unit that can normally be
    > depended on to work all the time - or something that needs more tech savvy support for
    > updates, isn't the only issue affecting Blu-Ray adoption.
    >
    > A quick web search easily found a decent and fairly recent article about most of the factors
    > affecting Blu-Ray adoption:
    >
    > <http://www.edn.com/article/509888-Blu_ray_Dogged_by_delays_will_it_still_have_its_day_.php>
    >
    > For me, the bottom line is I don't invest in technology until it has fairly decent mass
    > consumer acceptance and the entry prices are reasonable for my pocketbook, and Blu-Ray isn't
    > there yet. I expect at some point in the near future it will be. Obviously, for others, they
    > feel it is there, and I respect that and hope they enjoy their players and discs.

    Players at < $100?? Decent mass acceptance? I think so, but you don't,
    and the writer of the article you cite (thanks!) is too wrapped up in
    Game consoles and history thereof.

    To each his own! I like my BD player, but don't use it all that much,
    with DTV downloads being pretty convenient, yet I am fortunate to be in
    an area where there are choices in broadband; not everyone is.

    --

    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 8, 2010

  3. whosbest54

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >And here's a new one:
    >* Fear of obsolescence. Blu-ray isn't even 5 years old and now there's
    >talk about 3D - which requires people to replace their video player yet
    >again, not to mention purchase the glasses and then pay $40 per movie. 3D
    >is still in its very very early adoption cycle, but for folks who haven't
    >even upgraded to blu-ray yet, why should they now? If they wait a little
    >longer they can jump directly to a 3D player that can also play normal
    >blu-rays and hopefully won't need to be replaced in another few years.

    Yep, and there are those who don't like the glasses, slowing 3D.

    It's going to be a while before 3D has mass consumer acceptance.

    <http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/09/study-glasses-for-3d-tv-are-no-fun/1>

    whosbest54, Sep 10, 2010
  4. "Doug Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > * HDTV - the high price of admission. Unlike DVD which immediately
    > offered big improvements on any existing TV, blu-ray is pointless for
    > anyone
    > who doesn't already have a HDTV and preferably, a large (>40") screen
    > HDTV. When blu-ray was released, HDTVs were still in their early adoption
    > phase. Even now, HDTV is still only in about 50% of homes American homes.
    > I'm thinking it'll be the better part of another decade before we see this
    > go
    > to >90% in the US.
    >
    > * Not as compelling as DVD. For many, just plugging their old DVD player
    > into their new HDTV with a crummy composite video cable is going be an
    > astonishing upgrade. It doesn't matter that it's not "HD" in any shape or
    > form. For many, it's "good enough."

    Not always. I had a teacher in high school that said she couldn't tell the
    difference between DVD and VHS. When asked how the DVD player was connected
    she said through the VCR (using it as an RF modulator). I just rolled my
    eyes. It's been like pulling hen's teeth trying to get those around me to
    stop suckling the RF and sometimes composite teat and step up to even
    S-video.

    Daniel who wants to know, Sep 10, 2010
  5. whosbest54

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >The article completely ignores the real issue, which is the current economic
    >climate. Even at a mere $100 for a BR Player, over the last 18 months sales
    >have drastically slowed pretty much in perfect synchronicity to the economic
    >downturn. *All* entertainment hardware and media sales are down - games, dvds,
    >players, tvs - everything. This in turn means stores are less inclined to have
    >large amount of stock sitting unsold in stores, meaning less product is order,
    >meaning less product is manufactured. Studios have cut *way* back on new titles
    >being released this year in response to dwindling sales.
    >
    >Even with the format war, Blu-ray hardware and media sales was outpacing dvd
    >adoption numbers in the same first 3 year span of the respective formats until
    >around mid to late 2009. The general public is simply prioritizing jumping to a
    >new format when they're happy to settle for lower quality dvd, HD programming
    >and downloading content on a budget. And think about it - the studios have
    >really sucked consumers dry over the past 15 years with endless multiple
    >re-issues of movies. We're already seeing double dips on a few Blu-ray titles.
    >People are tired of re-buying their favorite movies time and time again.
    >
    >The technical issues with the format while problematic and indicative of the
    >entertainment industry's need to milk the same old product over and over at an
    >ever-increasing rate regardless of whether the hardware and software is ready
    >for prime time, isn't the real problem. The vast majority of Blu-ray players,
    >especially the PS3 and 95% of all titles released do not have issues during
    >playback and are significant upgrades to previous home video releases.
    >
    >The vast majority of consumers aren't factoring those kind of things as well as
    >firmware updates into whether they buy a player and titles or not. They're
    >thinking "do I really need to buy this when I'm unemployed or in danger of
    >losing my job at any given day?"

    Yes, the ressesion is a huge factor and certainly delayed mass market
    adoption/acceptance significantly.

    The article is aimed at designers who may be considering future support for the format.
    It tries to provide background on why Blu-Ray hasn't panned out for that audience. I
    believe the author is assuming the targeted readership already knows full well the impact
    of the resession and therefore concentrates on some of the other factors. In any case,
    the resession is mentioned in the intro header.

    The format war was really stupid and delayed adoption. The streaming option wasn't on
    the radar until more recently and would be a considerable threat even if the economy
    hadn't taken a nosedive. Finally, I believe many consumers have been and will continue
    to view DVD as good enough for a long time and view Blu-Ray as not worth the jump
    regardless of the economic situation. But, as I've said, I believe Blu-Ray will
    eventually achieve mass market adoption/acceptance in the near future.

    whosbest54, Sep 10, 2010