The end of SCO maybe soon.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    It seems in the Novell V SCO litigation, Novell may now have put into
    play a death punch for SCO. If Novell's has its way (and the chances
    look very good), the legal fighting fund so generously contributed to by
    MS and Sun may get put into trust. If that happens it means is what
    little money was left to pay the lawyers disappears and lawyers will not
    work without paying (this gives SCO's high profile lawyers the prefect
    exit strategy).

    The trust is a strong possibility as the "unix patents" MS bought (and
    it looks more and more like there is little evidence they actually
    bought anything substantive) should have been paid to Novell as the
    legal copyright/patent holder, with SCO keeping only 5%, when in fact
    SCO kept the lot.

    If the money disappears then SCO goes bankrupt and if the external
    trstee decides the case is without merit, it stops.....

    This could happen in a few months.....

    :D

    http://www.lamlaw.com/

    (articles dated 1st and 4th August)

    In the UK, if say a MP sue's a newspaper over slander or libel and in
    order to do this "friends" contribute to a legal fighting fund, and
    subsquently the truth is proven against the MP, then its not unkown for
    the Judge to demand the list of people who contributed to the meritless
    case and they find themselves in turn, having to pay damages.

    Now the question is, if the case is proven meritless and MS and Sun
    tried smoke and mirrors as a way to prop up SCO while it took on Linux,
    would they in turn be liable?

    Now that would be fun......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 4, 2005

  2. thingy

    Peter Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > If the money disappears then SCO goes bankrupt and if the external
    > trstee decides the case is without merit, it stops.....

    Has Microsoft stopped funding SCO?

    Peter, Aug 4, 2005

  3. thingy

    thing2 Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >>If the money disappears then SCO goes bankrupt and if the external
    >>trstee decides the case is without merit, it stops.....

    > Has Microsoft stopped funding SCO?

    MS bought a one off licence, listing un-specified patents, trouble is
    SCO appears to hold no patents...

    So the Q is what did MS actually buy? or was it just a front?

    This deal was always questioned, now it is beginning to look like the
    front it was.

    I wonder what the world's reaction will be if it becomes clear, MS is
    just funding SCO to do its dirty work.....somewhat anti-trust.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Aug 5, 2005