The end of Olympus High Speed xD cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by M, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. M

    M Guest

    My Olympus SP-550UZ camera uses xD cards and I have always bought the high
    speed 'H' cards. I have always considered my camera slow compared to my
    ancient 35mm camera. Now they have discontinued the high speed card and
    only now sell the 'M' slower card. I would like to know if the speed of the
    card really makes that big a difference in which case I should probably buy
    up as many old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the
    speed in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.
    Thanks.
     
    M, Sep 3, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. M

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:22:12 +0100, Type M wrote:

    > I would like to know if the speed of the card really makes that
    > big a difference in which case I should probably buy up as many
    > old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the speed
    > in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.


    It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
    shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
    though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.
     
    ASAAR, Sep 3, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. M

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    ASAAR <> wrote:
    >
    > On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:22:12 +0100, Type M wrote:
    >> I would like to know if the speed of the card really makes that
    >> big a difference in which case I should probably buy up as many
    >> old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the speed
    >> in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.

    >
    > It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
    > shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
    > though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.


    xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.
     
    Bill Tuthill, Sep 4, 2007
    #3
  4. M

    ASAAR Guest

    On 4 Sep 2007 09:49:11 -0700, Bill Tuthill wrote:

    >> It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
    >> shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
    >> though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.

    >
    > xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.


    Has that happened? AFAIK Fuji has recently added dual card
    formats to its smaller line of cameras. Its larger cameras however
    (S7xxx, S9xxx) as well as a number of cameras from Olympus (C-8080
    for one) have also supported dual cards for several years. xD is the
    common card type used, and either CF or SD is the other one used.
    If, as someone recently posted, type H xD cards have been
    discontinued, then I agree, xD as a format is on the way out (if
    nothing will replace it). But other than in that one post, I
    haven't read this anywhere else, and if it's true I'd think that it
    would have been a hot news item.
     
    ASAAR, Sep 4, 2007
    #4
  5. M

    Guest

    On 4 Sep 2007 09:49:11 -0700, Bill Tuthill <>
    wrote:

    >ASAAR <> wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:22:12 +0100, Type M wrote:
    >>> I would like to know if the speed of the card really makes that
    >>> big a difference in which case I should probably buy up as many
    >>> old stock cards as I can or if some other factor is limiting the speed
    >>> in which case the faster card might not actually make a difference.

    >>
    >> It shouldn't make much of a difference in the camera for still
    >> shots. You may want to use the type H cards for shooting video
    >> though, as well as for faster transfer in high speed card readers.

    >
    >xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.


    Jeez, I've got an old oly with a smartmedia card in it. Now the xD
    is going bye bye ? Heh heh, I guess Oly can pick'em eh ? Have they
    fired the guys responsible or do they think it's making them money ?
     
    , Sep 6, 2007
    #5
  6. M

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 03:10:27 -0700, wrote:

    >> xD is a dying format. Olympus needs to switch ASAP, like Fujifilm did.

    >
    > Jeez, I've got an old oly with a smartmedia card in it. Now the xD
    > is going bye bye ? Heh heh, I guess Oly can pick'em eh ? Have they
    > fired the guys responsible or do they think it's making them money ?


    O Prescient Oly! Save your little SmartMedia cards. They may
    work in the new Olys. Not recommended for video though. :)
     
    ASAAR, Sep 6, 2007
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DannyD1355

    USB High Speed against USB Non High Speed

    DannyD1355, Sep 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    627
    Patrick
    Sep 7, 2003
  2. KL234
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    960
    Dave Hau
    Feb 26, 2004
  3. Steven
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    821
    Steven
    Oct 1, 2004
  4. High end P&S or Low end D-SLR

    , Mar 29, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    61
    Views:
    1,415
    J. Clarke
    Apr 6, 2006
  5. RichA

    Olympus: "It's the end, the END!!!"

    RichA, Jan 11, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    294
    otter
    Jan 11, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page