The Empire Strikes Again !

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mike_P, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. Mike_P

    Mike_P Guest

    Just received an email from Telecom warning me that I have reached the 3Gb
    limit of my Surf A/c... this is 3 days after they switched me over to Orcon
    UBS !

    When they switched me over I had used just under 2Gb but because we were now
    switched to Orcon UBS I decided to download Fahrenheit 911 (for a giggle)
    then lo and behold I start getting emails from Telecom about being 80% of
    cap etc.

    Rung Orcon and told them what was going on and to make sure I wouldn't be
    getting any excess charges... after they checked with Telecom they rang me
    back to confirm Telecom were playing games. According to Orcon telecom said
    that I was 'technically' still their customer and 'technically' still
    connected to the Surf plan. Telecom originally advised Orcon I would be
    switched over on 1 Nov but then completed the switch 5 days earlier.
    Regardless of this, and regardless of the fact I can't connect to them, they
    are claiming me as their customer until 1 Nov. The fact that I cannot log on
    to the Surf plan (fastadsl) didn't come into it.

    What a pack of assholes !

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Mike_P

    samg Guest

    "Mike_P" <> wrote in

    > Just received an email from Telecom warning me that I have reached the
    > 3Gb limit of my Surf A/c... this is 3 days after they switched me over
    > to Orcon UBS !
    >
    > When they switched me over I had used just under 2Gb but because we were
    > now switched to Orcon UBS I decided to download Fahrenheit 911 (for a
    > giggle) then lo and behold I start getting emails from Telecom about
    > being 80% of cap etc.
    >
    > Rung Orcon and told them what was going on and to make sure I wouldn't
    > be getting any excess charges... after they checked with Telecom they
    > rang me back to confirm Telecom were playing games. According to Orcon
    > telecom said that I was 'technically' still their customer and
    > 'technically' still connected to the Surf plan. Telecom originally
    > advised Orcon I would be switched over on 1 Nov but then completed the
    > switch 5 days earlier. Regardless of this, and regardless of the fact I
    > can't connect to them, they are claiming me as their customer until 1
    > Nov. The fact that I cannot log on to the Surf plan (fastadsl) didn't
    > come into it.
    >
    > What a pack of assholes !
    >
    > Mike_P

    heheh thats bloody appalling, yet somehow not surprising.

    samg, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Mike_P

    Paul Guest

    samg wrote:
    > "Mike_P" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Just received an email from Telecom warning me that I have reached the
    >>3Gb limit of my Surf A/c... this is 3 days after they switched me over
    >>to Orcon UBS !
    >>
    >>When they switched me over I had used just under 2Gb but because we were
    >>now switched to Orcon UBS I decided to download Fahrenheit 911 (for a
    >>giggle) then lo and behold I start getting emails from Telecom about
    >>being 80% of cap etc.
    >>
    >>Rung Orcon and told them what was going on and to make sure I wouldn't
    >>be getting any excess charges... after they checked with Telecom they
    >>rang me back to confirm Telecom were playing games. According to Orcon
    >>telecom said that I was 'technically' still their customer and
    >>'technically' still connected to the Surf plan. Telecom originally
    >>advised Orcon I would be switched over on 1 Nov but then completed the
    >>switch 5 days earlier. Regardless of this, and regardless of the fact I
    >>can't connect to them, they are claiming me as their customer until 1
    >>Nov. The fact that I cannot log on to the Surf plan (fastadsl) didn't
    >>come into it.
    >>
    >>What a pack of assholes !
    >>
    >>Mike_P
    >>

    > heheh thats bloody appalling, yet somehow not surprising.

    I posted this in another thread, but it may apply here. It's got
    something to do with Layer 2/Layer 3 of the bitstream thing, I think.

    <snip>
    I *heard* that Telecom is changing the way it measures traffic.

    It will no longer be measured against your domain, i.e.
    @paradise.net.nz, @orcon.net.nz. Instead, it's going to be measured
    against your physical termination point - a.k.a. you phone line.

    If you swap from one provider to another, the traffic keeps ticking over.

    PLS CORRECT ME... I'm hazy on this.
    </snip>

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Mike_P

    steve Guest

    Mike_P wrote:

    > Rung Orcon and told them what was going on and to make sure I wouldn't be
    > getting any excess charges... after they checked with Telecom they rang me
    > back to confirm Telecom were playing games. According to Orcon telecom
    > said that I was 'technically' still their customer and 'technically' still
    > connected to the Surf plan. Telecom originally advised Orcon I would be
    > switched over on 1 Nov but then completed the switch 5 days earlier.
    > Regardless of this, and regardless of the fact I can't connect to them,
    > they are claiming me as their customer until 1 Nov. The fact that I cannot
    > log on to the Surf plan (fastadsl) didn't come into it.
    >
    > What a pack of assholes !
    >
    > Mike_P

    They are "customer focused" in a way that will ultimately undermine them.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Oct 29, 2004
  5. Mike_P

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:21:05 +1300, steve wrote:

    > They are "customer focused" in a way that will ultimately undermine them.

    Do you mean slow?

    Gordon, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Mike_P

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:37:48 +1300, Mike_P wrote:

    > Just received an email from Telecom warning me that I have reached the 3Gb
    > limit of my Surf A/c... this is 3 days after they switched me over to Orcon
    > UBS !
    >
    > When they switched me over I had used just under 2Gb but because we were now
    > switched to Orcon UBS I decided to download Fahrenheit 911 (for a giggle)
    > then lo and behold I start getting emails from Telecom about being 80% of
    > cap etc.

    I love this, at last Telecom is showing real signs of the competition
    being on the playing field, and moving fast.

    Read, to me TC seem to be entering panic mode.

    The Penguin is bemused. She has no wallet and is on her way to catch some
    more fish. No need to catch all that are in the sea she says, just enuff
    for dinner.

    Gordon, Oct 30, 2004
  7. Gordon wrote:
    > The Penguin is bemused. She has no wallet and is on her way to catch some
    > more fish. No need to catch all that are in the sea she says, just enuff
    > for dinner.

    Gordon budy... you seem a tad confused, or maybe I am... you seem to use
    the term penguin for any "underdog" out there.
    I thought penguin was usually used for Linux stuff, not for Telecom
    competitors.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 30, 2004
  8. In article <>, "Mike_P" <> wrote:
    >Just received an email from Telecom warning me that I have reached the 3Gb
    >limit of my Surf A/c... this is 3 days after they switched me over to Orcon
    >UBS !
    >
    >When they switched me over I had used just under 2Gb but because we were now
    >switched to Orcon UBS I decided to download Fahrenheit 911 (for a giggle)
    >then lo and behold I start getting emails from Telecom about being 80% of
    >cap etc.
    >
    >Rung Orcon and told them what was going on and to make sure I wouldn't be
    >getting any excess charges... after they checked with Telecom they rang me
    >back to confirm Telecom were playing games. According to Orcon telecom said
    >that I was 'technically' still their customer and 'technically' still
    >connected to the Surf plan. Telecom originally advised Orcon I would be
    >switched over on 1 Nov but then completed the switch 5 days earlier.
    >Regardless of this, and regardless of the fact I can't connect to them, they
    >are claiming me as their customer until 1 Nov. The fact that I cannot log on
    >to the Surf plan (fastadsl) didn't come into it.
    >
    >What a pack of assholes !

    Can you see the queues of people standing in line to sign up to telstras new
    home phone line pay telecon nothing option ? I suspect (perhaps hope is the
    word here ?) that this might wake telecon up to some realities ...
    particularly around customer service ? :)
    I suspect they will merely wonder what happened :) :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 1, 2004
  9. Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Can you see the queues of people standing in line to sign up to telstras new
    > home phone line pay telecon nothing option ? I suspect (perhaps hope is the
    > word here ?) that this might wake telecon up to some realities ...

    I called, it saves me nothing, oh yay, I have a choice of two operators
    for the same service at the same price. I feel so lucky. :/

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  10. Mike_P

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> Can you see the queues of people standing in line to sign up to telstras
    >>> new home phone line pay telecon nothing option ? I suspect (perhaps hope
    >>> is the word here ?) that this might wake telecon up to some realities

    >>I called, it saves me nothing, oh yay, I have a choice of two operators
    >>for the same service at the same price. I feel so lucky. :/

    > Yep ... but you don't have to pay telcon. That in and of itself is a whole
    > heap of worthwhile. Send the bastards a clear (sigh) message :)

    I read somewhere that 98% of the money you pay TelstraClear for line rental
    ends up going to Telecom anyway.

    Chris Hope, Nov 2, 2004
  11. Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>>Can you see the queues of people standing in line to sign up to telstras new
    >>>home phone line pay telecon nothing option ? I suspect (perhaps hope is the
    >>>word here ?) that this might wake telecon up to some realities ...

    >>I called, it saves me nothing, oh yay, I have a choice of two operators
    >>for the same service at the same price. I feel so lucky. :/

    > Yep ... but you don't have to pay telcon. That in and of itself is a whole
    > heap of worthwhile. Send the bastards a clear (sigh) message :)

    but to the average jo, there is no advantage, and the average jo is to
    apathetic to bother doing something that doesnt change anything for them.

    My point is, why change when it gives me nothing more?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  12. Mike_P

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>I called, it saves me nothing, oh yay, I have a choice of two operators
    >>>for the same service at the same price. I feel so lucky. :/

    >> Yep ... but you don't have to pay telcon. That in and of itself is a
    >> whole heap of worthwhile. Send the bastards a clear (sigh) message :)

    > but to the average jo, there is no advantage, and the average jo is to
    > apathetic to bother doing something that doesnt change anything for them.
    >
    > My point is, why change when it gives me nothing more?

    Actually, if you use the Telecom call minder service you will save $4.25
    per month by moving to TelstraClear. And if you make $20 or more in toll
    calls per month you save money on your line rental. See the discounts at
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/voice/homeplan/discount.cfm

    I know you're right, that a lot of people won't be bothered moving as there
    doesn't really seem like a whole lot of incentive, especially if you don't
    make m/any toll calls like me. But then there are a lot of people who'll
    move simply because Telecom piss them off by being a monopoly.

    Chris Hope, Nov 2, 2004

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2004
  14. In article <1099356545_3546@216.128.74.129>, Chris Hope <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I called, it saves me nothing, oh yay, I have a choice of two operators
    >>>for the same service at the same price. I feel so lucky. :/

    >> Yep ... but you don't have to pay telcon. That in and of itself is a whole
    >> heap of worthwhile. Send the bastards a clear (sigh) message :)

    >I read somewhere that 98% of the money you pay TelstraClear for line rental
    >ends up going to Telecom anyway.

    ... and this too is probably true. Still, what I said stands ... and the
    bigger the clear market share, the bigger their clout ought to be :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2004
  15. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >>>I called, it saves me nothing, oh yay, I have a choice of two operators
    >>>for the same service at the same price. I feel so lucky. :/

    >> Yep ... but you don't have to pay telcon. That in and of itself is a whole
    >> heap of worthwhile. Send the bastards a clear (sigh) message :)

    >but to the average jo, there is no advantage, and the average jo is to
    >apathetic to bother doing something that doesnt change anything for them.

    Indeed. ... but I care little for average jo :)

    >My point is, why change when it gives me nothing more?

    Point accepted. My point is that, even if there is no actual money saving,
    the satisfaction level is so high that any other choice is stupid ... for me
    :) ... and then we get to the "no service could be as bad as telecons"
    point. :)
    YMMV of course :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2004
  16. In article <1099357444_3548@216.128.74.129>, Chris Hope <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >I know you're right, that a lot of people won't be bothered moving as there
    >doesn't really seem like a whole lot of incentive, especially if you don't
    >make m/any toll calls like me. But then there are a lot of people who'll
    >move simply because Telecom piss them off by being a monopoly.

    Not because they are a monopoly ... because they act like one and have no
    idea what customer service is or should be :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 2, 2004
  17. In article <1099357444_3548@216.128.74.129> in nz.comp on Tue, 02 Nov
    2004 14:01:44 +1300, Chris Hope <> says...
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > >> Yep ... but you don't have to pay telcon. That in and of itself is a
    > >> whole heap of worthwhile. Send the bastards a clear (sigh) message :)

    > > but to the average jo, there is no advantage, and the average jo is to
    > > apathetic to bother doing something that doesnt change anything for them.
    > >
    > > My point is, why change when it gives me nothing more?

    > Actually, if you use the Telecom call minder service you will save $4.25
    > per month by moving to TelstraClear. And if you make $20 or more in toll
    > calls per month you save money on your line rental. See the discounts at
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/voice/homeplan/discount.cfm

    But of course if I have Telecom mobile I'll lose my joint voicemail.

    > I know you're right, that a lot of people won't be bothered moving as there
    > doesn't really seem like a whole lot of incentive, especially if you don't
    > make m/any toll calls like me. But then there are a lot of people who'll
    > move simply because Telecom piss them off by being a monopoly.

    There are probably not a lot of people. There are some, but the fact that
    these days people are more likely to get their services as a package from
    one supplier is an important consideration.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 2, 2004
  18. Mike_P

    Chris Hope Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <1099357444_3548@216.128.74.129> in nz.comp on Tue, 02 Nov
    > 2004 14:01:44 +1300, Chris Hope <> says...
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> > but to the average jo, there is no advantage, and the average jo is to
    >> > apathetic to bother doing something that doesnt change anything for
    >> > them.
    >> >
    >> > My point is, why change when it gives me nothing more?

    >> Actually, if you use the Telecom call minder service you will save $4.25
    >> per month by moving to TelstraClear. And if you make $20 or more in toll
    >> calls per month you save money on your line rental. See the discounts at
    >> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/voice/homeplan/discount.cfm

    > But of course if I have Telecom mobile I'll lose my joint voicemail.
    >>
    >> I know you're right, that a lot of people won't be bothered moving as
    >> there doesn't really seem like a whole lot of incentive, especially if
    >> you don't make m/any toll calls like me. But then there are a lot of
    >> people who'll move simply because Telecom piss them off by being a
    >> monopoly.

    > There are probably not a lot of people. There are some, but the fact that
    > these days people are more likely to get their services as a package from
    > one supplier is an important consideration.

    Very true - getting it all from one supplier is often a good thing.

    But then it can't bother too many people to have multiple suppliers when it
    comes to telecommunications; how many people have a Telecom landline and a
    Vodaphone mobile? Must be a lot because Vodaphone have something like a 55%
    market share of the cellular market.

    Chris Hope, Nov 2, 2004
  19. Mike_P

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:58:52 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Can you see the queues of people standing in line to sign up to telstras
    > new home phone line pay telecon nothing option ? I suspect (perhaps hope
    > is the word here ?) that this might wake telecon up to some realities ...
    > particularly around customer service ? :) I suspect they will merely
    > wonder what happened :) :)

    You've never experienced Telstra Clears customer service have you? :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 2, 2004
  20. Mike_P

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 04:26:44 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > BUT ... they cannot have worse service than telecon.

    Don't be so sure.

    I didn't think it was possible either ;)

    AD., Nov 2, 2004