The DVD Recoder for Kiwi's, but ones with Money.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Bell, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. William Bell

    William Bell Guest

    William Bell, Nov 22, 2004

  2. William Bell

    cowboyz Guest

    "William Bell" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > This is a must have, with a must have high price
    >

    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946

    Now that is a kick arse recorder. any idea how many $$

    cowboyz, Nov 22, 2004

  3. William Bell

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > "William Bell" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > This is a must have, with a must have high price
    > >

    > > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946
    > >

    > Now that is a kick arse recorder. any idea how many $$

    They have a listed retail of $3499.
    http://www.panasonic.co.nz/dmr-e500hgns.html

    I am a bit pissed off - i was up in Singapore and while wandering around
    the shops i said to the missus "why don't they make these things with LAN
    connections?" - and proceeded to buy a E85-H, not realising that i could
    have waited a month or two and got one.

    The E85 is excellent and far surpasses the efforts i had in trying to do the
    whole thing on a computer.

    That said, i think i'll wait until next year for Sky's PVR, which is
    featured in this month's Tone mag. It has two tuners, which means that you
    can record two channels at one time.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Nov 22, 2004
  4. cowboyz wrote:
    > "William Bell" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>This is a must have, with a must have high price
    >>

    >>http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946
    >>

    > Now that is a kick arse recorder. any idea how many $$

    Mythtv does all that and more... and costs less...

    Graeme Woollett, Nov 22, 2004
  5. William Bell

    cowboyz Guest

    "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > "William Bell" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>This is a must have, with a must have high price
    > >>

    > >>http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946
    > >>

    > > Now that is a kick arse recorder. any idea how many $$
    > >

    > Mythtv does all that and more... and costs less...

    Mythtv can record a DVD-R at 64x?

    cowboyz, Nov 22, 2004
  6. William Bell

    Mutlley Guest

    William Bell <> wrote:

    >This is a must have, with a must have high price
    >

    >http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946

    So a 400Gig hard disk costs around A$2800 ?? Good profit margin..

    Mutlley, Nov 22, 2004
  7. cowboyz wrote:
    > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>>"William Bell" <> wrote in message

    >>>Now that is a kick arse recorder. any idea how many $$
    >>>

    >>Mythtv does all that and more... and costs less...

    > Mythtv can record a DVD-R at 64x?

    It doesn't need to. It records straight onto the harddisk. Can't you
    only just get 8x media?
    My rig does 2 channels at once and costs under half the price.
    Go and have a look at mythtv.org.

    Graeme Woollett, Nov 22, 2004
  8. William Bell

    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message

    > >>Mythtv does all that and more... and costs less...

    > > Mythtv can record a DVD-R at 64x?
    > >

    > It doesn't need to. It records straight onto the harddisk. Can't you
    > only just get 8x media?
    > My rig does 2 channels at once and costs under half the price.
    > Go and have a look at mythtv.org.

    I know what mythtv can do. I was using it a couple of months back. I also
    have a machine setup to act as a DVR but also have a standalone DVR. Thats
    not the point.

    So you want to change your last reply to :

    There are many programs that can convert your PC into a DVR but you should
    be happy burning at 8x because that is fast enough for anyone and it would
    cost alot less than buying a standalone DVR of extreme specs that you don't
    need because I have Mythtv running how I want it and that should be good
    enough for anyone.

    Just as arrogant, but a lot more accurate.

    cowboyz, Nov 22, 2004
  9. cowboyz wrote:
    > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message

    >>>Mythtv can record a DVD-R at 64x?
    >>>

    >>It doesn't need to. It records straight onto the harddisk. Can't you
    >>only just get 8x media?
    >>My rig does 2 channels at once and costs under half the price.
    >>Go and have a look at mythtv.org.

    > I know what mythtv can do. I was using it a couple of months back. I also
    > have a machine setup to act as a DVR but also have a standalone DVR. Thats
    > not the point.
    >
    > So you want to change your last reply to :
    >
    > There are many programs that can convert your PC into a DVR but you should
    > be happy burning at 8x because that is fast enough for anyone and it would
    > cost alot less than buying a standalone DVR of extreme specs that you don't
    > need because I have Mythtv running how I want it and that should be good
    > enough for anyone.
    >

    > Just as arrogant, but a lot more accurate.

    Blah, blah, blah. An irrational aurgument, go and find me some 64x
    DVD-R then...
    If you have the money (or are stupid enough to put it on HP) then go for
    it..

    Graeme Woollett, Nov 22, 2004
  10. William Bell

    > >>It doesn't need to. It records straight onto the harddisk. Can't you
    > >>only just get 8x media?
    > >>My rig does 2 channels at once and costs under half the price.
    > >>Go and have a look at mythtv.org.

    > > I know what mythtv can do. I was using it a couple of months back. I

    also
    > > have a machine setup to act as a DVR but also have a standalone DVR.

    Thats
    > > not the point.
    > >
    > > So you want to change your last reply to :
    > >
    > > There are many programs that can convert your PC into a DVR but you

    should
    > > be happy burning at 8x because that is fast enough for anyone and it

    would
    > > cost alot less than buying a standalone DVR of extreme specs that you

    don't
    > > need because I have Mythtv running how I want it and that should be good
    > > enough for anyone.
    > >

    > > Just as arrogant, but a lot more accurate.
    > >

    > Blah, blah, blah. An irrational aurgument, go and find me some 64x
    > DVD-R then...
    > If you have the money (or are stupid enough to put it on HP) then go for
    > it..

    I don't even know anywhere that sells 16x media. Thats not the point
    either. I'll tell ya what. Being as I am not buying one of these new DVRs
    (never had any intent on buying one) I'll spend some money on a step ladder
    for you - the point seems to be contiunously going over your head.

    cowboyz, Nov 22, 2004
  11. cowboyz wrote:
    > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message

    >>>I know what mythtv can do. I was using it a couple of months back. I

    > also
    >
    >>>have a machine setup to act as a DVR but also have a standalone DVR.

    > Thats
    >
    >>>not the point.
    >>>
    >>>So you want to change your last reply to :
    >>>
    >>>There are many programs that can convert your PC into a DVR but you

    > should
    >
    >>>be happy burning at 8x because that is fast enough for anyone and it

    > would
    >
    >>>cost alot less than buying a standalone DVR of extreme specs that you

    > don't
    >
    >>>need because I have Mythtv running how I want it and that should be good
    >>>enough for anyone.
    >>>

    >>>Just as arrogant, but a lot more accurate.
    >>>

    >>Blah, blah, blah. An irrational aurgument, go and find me some 64x
    >>DVD-R then...
    >>If you have the money (or are stupid enough to put it on HP) then go for
    >>it..

    > I don't even know anywhere that sells 16x media. Thats not the point
    > either. I'll tell ya what. Being as I am not buying one of these new DVRs
    > (never had any intent on buying one) I'll spend some money on a step ladder
    > for you - the point seems to be contiunously going over your head.

    The point as I see it is this is an ng for computer literate people
    (maybe you aren't?), here is a product that costs a fortune and still
    doesn't have the features of a computer based PVR/mediacentre. I'm not
    advocating it as a product for the masses because it isn't.
    BTW the way why did you stop using mythtv? It wasn't just because it
    ran on Linux was it?

    Graeme Woollett, Nov 22, 2004
  12. William Bell

    > The point as I see it is this is an ng for computer literate people

    Really? You shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment like that.

    > (maybe you aren't?),

    Ouch, That hurts... play nice now...

    >here is a product that costs a fortune

    Agreed. In fact, I bet its more than that.

    >and still
    > doesn't have the features of a computer based PVR/mediacentre.

    And my toaster can't make coffee.

    > I'm not
    > advocating it as a product for the masses because it isn't.

    How on earth did you percieve mentioning a new high spec'd DVR on a
    newsgroup where you freely admit you think it is for computer literate
    people advocating it as being a product for the masses?

    > BTW the way why did you stop using mythtv? It wasn't just because it
    > ran on Linux was it?

    In a round about way, yes. I got sick of fixing things on Linux and
    couldn't get the games I wanted to play to play so back to windows where I
    already have a setup with NeoDVD that does what I want it to do.

    cowboyz, Nov 22, 2004
  13. cowboyz wrote:
    > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>The point as I see it is this is an ng for computer literate people

    > Really? You shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment like that.

    I was assuming that at least the bottom end knew how to find this group

    >>(maybe you aren't?),

    > Ouch, That hurts... play nice now...
    >

    >>here is a product that costs a fortune

    > Agreed. In fact, I bet its more than that.
    >

    >>and still
    >>doesn't have the features of a computer based PVR/mediacentre.

    > And my toaster can't make coffee.
    >

    >> I'm not
    >>advocating it as a product for the masses because it isn't.

    > How on earth did you percieve mentioning a new high spec'd DVR on a
    > newsgroup where you freely admit you think it is for computer literate
    > people advocating it as being a product for the masses?

    I really should gammar check my posts...
    What I meant to say was >>>MYTHTV<<< is not a product for the masses.
    But for people who know what they're doing its cost/benefit ratio is far
    superior to DVDR box that was mentioned.
    You seem to have just as much trouble grasping my point of view as you
    say I do yours.

    >>BTW the way why did you stop using mythtv? It wasn't just because it
    >>ran on Linux was it?

    > In a round about way, yes. I got sick of fixing things on Linux

    On common, its character building, even Windows has it's fair share of
    things that break (or are broken).

    and
    > couldn't get the games I wanted to play to play so back to windows where I
    > already have a setup with NeoDVD that does what I want it to do.

    Thats why you have a second PC running windows like I do.

    Graeme Woollett, Nov 22, 2004
  14. William Bell

    JohnO Guest

    > This is a must have, with a must have high price
    >

    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946

    Yeah that's right Woger. Spend A$3.2k on something that GBPVR, MythTV etc
    can do on any NZ$1500 PC with a tuner card!

    Or use TiVo... Oh, that's right, TiVo cannot work in NZ, can it?

    JohnO, Nov 22, 2004
  15. William Bell

    SteveM Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cntdmm$ol4$:

    > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >> > "William Bell" <> wrote in message

    >> > Now that is a kick arse recorder. any idea how many $$
    >> >

    >> Mythtv does all that and more... and costs less...

    > Mythtv can record a DVD-R at 64x?

    The original article states DVD-R recording times based on the
    compression ratio of the recorded content, EP mode for one.

    I would think that you would realise that the unit is not recording
    onto DVD-R at 40x or 64x or whatever, but is recording the recorded
    content 40x or 64x faster than its length (at I imagine a very crappy
    quality level).

    All they are stating is that the unit can record (say) a 1 hour show onto
    DVD-R in (approx) 1 minute (probably longer though) indicating that the
    show has been greatly compressed and maybe in MPEG-4 with low resolution?

    I would imaging that if the unit recorded shows in MPEG-2 format with a
    reasonable bit rate (6000?) then recording to DVD-R times would increase
    appropriately.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Nov 22, 2004
  16. William Bell

    > On common, its character building, even Windows has it's fair share of
    > things that break (or are broken).
    >
    > and
    > > couldn't get the games I wanted to play to play so back to windows where

    > > already have a setup with NeoDVD that does what I want it to do.
    > >

    > Thats why you have a second PC running windows like I do.

    I would but no place to put it. Every few months I get the urge to have a
    2nd PC again and either build up old parts or buy something cheap but it
    doesn't take long for the little woman to decide its in the way and gets
    sold again.

    cowboyz, Nov 23, 2004
  17. William Bell

    cowboyz Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cntdmm$ol4$:
    >

    > > "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message

    > >> Mythtv does all that and more... and costs less...

    > > Mythtv can record a DVD-R at 64x?
    > >

    > The original article states DVD-R recording times based on the
    > compression ratio of the recorded content, EP mode for one.
    >
    > I would think that you would realise that the unit is not recording
    > onto DVD-R at 40x or 64x or whatever, but is recording the recorded
    > content 40x or 64x faster than its length (at I imagine a very crappy
    > quality level).
    >
    > All they are stating is that the unit can record (say) a 1 hour show onto
    > DVD-R in (approx) 1 minute (probably longer though) indicating that the
    > show has been greatly compressed and maybe in MPEG-4 with low resolution?
    >
    > I would imaging that if the unit recorded shows in MPEG-2 format with a
    > reasonable bit rate (6000?) then recording to DVD-R times would increase
    > appropriately.
    >
    > SteveM

    good point. I had missed that "commercial wording". Surprising cause I am
    usually pretty good at picking holes in things like that. My DVR doesn't
    have a HD so I don't know how long it takes to drop a low quality recording
    onto a disc at present. Would be interesting if someone could let us know.

    cowboyz, Nov 23, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:16:07 +1300, Mutlley <> says...
    > William Bell <> wrote:
    >

    > >This is a must have, with a must have high price
    > >

    > >http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946
    > >

    > So a 400Gig hard disk costs around A$2800 ?? Good profit margin..

    It is not a hard drive, it is a recorder, with the electronics to make it
    usable and easy to operate.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 23, 2004
  19. William Bell

    JohnO Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:16:07 +1300, Mutlley <> says...
    > > William Bell <> wrote:
    > >

    > > >This is a must have, with a must have high price
    > > >

    > > >http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10946
    > > >

    > > So a 400Gig hard disk costs around A$2800 ?? Good profit margin..

    > It is not a hard drive, it is a recorder, with the electronics to make it
    > usable and easy to operate.

    I think the OP's point was that the difference in price between this one and
    the regular HD recorder us $2.8k, yet the internal difference is really just
    the 400g frive vs 40g and an ethernet interface.

    JohnO, Nov 23, 2004
  20. William Bell

    Mr Scebe Guest

    > The point as I see it is this is an ng for computer literate people
    > (maybe you aren't?), here is a product that costs a fortune and still
    > doesn't have the features of a computer based PVR/mediacentre.

    The E500 is quite expensive, but the E85 was $950 landed in NZ - which
    easily compares with what i spent on a PC based solution. It has G-code
    which makes it a breeze to set up recording, and the results are far
    superior.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"