    "Religion isn't the opiate of the masses. When
    properly used, religion is the methamphetamine
    of the masses." - nu-monet v6.0 in alt.slack

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Alan D-W Guest

    You may care to glance through the 300D/Rebel forum at www.dpreview.com
    where you will find many owners discussing the camera.

    Alan D-W, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Alan D-W wrote:
    > "Unclaimed Mysteries"
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I fondled one today. No, you can't use the camera as a hammer, but it
    >>seemed sturdy enough. Besides, the lighter weight might not be so bad
    >>during long hikes.
    >>
    >>Now that it's been out there for a little bit, does anybody have any
    >>field "tests" they'd like to share? Anyone? Bueller?
    >>

    > You may care to glance through the 300D/Rebel forum at www.dpreview.com
    > where you will find many owners discussing the camera.

    Hope you didn't hurt yourself posting this.

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Unclaimed Mysteries"
    <> wrote in message
    > > You may care to glance through the 300D/Rebel forum at www.dpreview.com
    > > where you will find many owners discussing the camera.
    > >

    > Hope you didn't hurt yourself posting this.

    WTF is that supposed to mean?
    I was trying to make a helpful suggestion you fucking mule.

    Alan D-W, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Guest

    Unclaimed Mysteries <> wrote:
    > I fondled one today. No, you can't use the camera as a hammer, but it
    > seemed sturdy enough. Besides, the lighter weight might not be so bad
    > during long hikes.

    > Now that it's been out there for a little bit, does anybody have any
    > field "tests" they'd like to share? Anyone? Bueller?

    I have owned a Digital Rebel since a few days after it first hit the
    store shelves and I am thrilled with it. Since I do not drop my cameras
    or abuse them in any other way, the plastic case is fine with me.

    , Feb 20, 2004
  6. someone offers a link for you and this is how you repay them??

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Unclaimed Mysteries

    DavidG Guest

    Unclaimed Mysteries <> wrote in message news:<nodZb.12463$>...
    > I fondled one today. No, you can't use the camera as a hammer, but it
    > seemed sturdy enough. Besides, the lighter weight might not be so bad
    > during long hikes.
    >
    > Now that it's been out there for a little bit, does anybody have any
    > field "tests" they'd like to share? Anyone? Bueller?
    >
    > Corry

    I own a Digital Rebel, but have not had any accidents with it yet (and
    hopefully never will). According to owners on www.dpreview.com who've
    had the misfortune to drop their cameras, however, the case is quite
    robust. You'd expect this from properly molded polycarbonate, which
    can flex quite a bit before breaking. Indeed, the camera internals may
    very well sustain damage from the G-forces before the case reaches its
    limits.

    It's worth noting that only the external shell of the Digital Rebel is
    polycarbonate. The camera shares a magnesium subframe. This
    information comes straight from an interview with Canon Europe and has
    been verified by a few brave people who've disassembled their cameras.

    David

    DavidG, Feb 20, 2004
  8. Top-Postin' Bay Area Dave wrote in part:

    > someone offers a link for you and this is how you repay them??

    Seeing how people are in an uproar about off-topic posts in
    rec.photo.digital, I thought the fact that the very first response to my
    on-topic post was someone telling me to go elsewhere for an opinion was
    rather peculiar. That's all.

    Believe it or not I value the opinions of people who want to use this group.

    The original poster has responded to my mildly snarky remark by calling
    me a fucking mule. I can go On The Record as saying that I do not
    believe that person is a fucking fucking mule. Nor do I wish for that
    person to:

    1) actually **** a mule,

    2) be forced to become Annika1980's personal valet,

    3) be thrown feet-first into a Hemi-Powered Asplundh Tree Shredder,

    4) worst of all, be drafted into serving as Moderator-For-Life of
    rec.photo.digital.

    You see, I take the high road here. Now, I'm going to read and enjoy the

    Corry

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Feb 20, 2004
  9. DavidG wrote in part:

    > ... the case is quite
    > robust. You'd expect this from properly molded polycarbonate, which
    > can flex quite a bit before breaking. Indeed, the camera internals may
    > very well sustain damage from the G-forces before the case reaches its
    > limits.
    >
    > It's worth noting that only the external shell of the Digital Rebel is
    > polycarbonate. The camera shares a magnesium subframe. This
    > information comes straight from an interview with Canon Europe and has
    > been verified by a few brave people who've disassembled their cameras.

    Thanks. I would tolerate a bit of cosmetic scuffing on the case so long
    as it does its main job of adequately protecting the innards.

    This camera has me interested in Canon. The samples and other images
    I've seen have been pretty free of noise, compared to those of other
    cameras in its price range. I have come to HATE noise above all other
    deficiencies in a digital image. No software I've tried out can do much
    more than a sleight-of-hand trick on a noisy image, distracting from the
    noise by introducing some other funky distortions. How much better it is
    to have a cleaner image to begin with.

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Feb 20, 2004
  10. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Unclaimed Mysteries"
    <> wrote in message
    Bay Area Dave said this:
    > > someone offers a link for you and this is how you repay them??
    > >

    > Seeing how people are in an uproar about off-topic posts in
    > rec.photo.digital, I thought the fact that the very first response to my
    > on-topic post was someone telling me to go elsewhere for an opinion was
    > rather peculiar. That's all.

    It was a suggestion for somewhere possibly better - a forum dedicated to the
    EOS300D, and was supposed to be helpful, and certainly at dpreview there
    isn't a sexual pervert posting about 300 offensive and meaningless posts per
    day. I was very annoyed by your response, and I wasn't "telling" you
    anything, I was giving you other options. It was uncalled for, snide and
    immature, never mind unnecessary. Oh, and my response to you was ON topic,
    so your statement doesn't even stand up.

    > Believe it or not I value the opinions of people who want to use this

    group.

    You don't make that apparent. I don't believe you.

    > The original poster has responded to my mildly snarky remark by calling
    > me a fucking mule. I can go On The Record as saying that I do not
    > believe that person is a fucking fucking mule. Nor do I wish for that
    > person to:

    [drivel snipped]
    Mildly snarky (whatever snarky is)? It was downright rude.

    > You see, I take the high road here. Now, I'm going to read and enjoy the

    Enjoy all the many many responses which appear to have flooded in. I
    sincerely hope you've alienated yourself from any further help or advice you
    might get here, and I see that at least one other person was taken aback by
    your response to me. I'd imagine that there are others who might be
    frightened to respond to you in case you take the same sort of attitude to
    them as you did to me.

    Oh, and I wouldn't advise that you get a 300D - I suspect it might be too
    difficult for you to manage.

    Alan D-W, Feb 20, 2004
  11. Who's in charge here, Alan D-W? Where's my Captain's Wafers? (in part):

    > It was a suggestion for somewhere possibly better - a forum dedicated to the
    > EOS300D, and was supposed to be helpful, and certainly at dpreview there
    > isn't a sexual pervert posting about 300 offensive and meaningless posts per
    > day.

    I had been following the current goings-on in this group and just wanted
    to fill in with some photo-related content instead of whining about the
    Dangerous Preverts.

    > I was very annoyed by your response, and I wasn't "telling" you
    > anything, I was giving you other options. It was uncalled for, snide and
    > immature, never mind unnecessary. Oh, and my response to you was ON topic,
    > so your statement doesn't even stand up.

    (Before we go on, c'mon ... are we trolling each other? You're good. I
    like your style. I've never gotten the fake indignation part down. It
    would be a great addition to my repertoire.)

    >>Believe it or not I value the opinions of people who want to use this
    >>group.

    > You don't make that apparent. I don't believe you.

    I'm all for skepticism on the Internet.

    > [drivel snipped]
    > Mildly snarky (whatever snarky is)? It was downright rude.

    I'm not going to do your vocabulary research. Besides, I'm just a
    fucking mule. You said so yourself, before you started lecturing me
    about rudeness.

    > Enjoy all the many many responses which appear to have flooded in.

    Quality, not quantity. The poster relating the information about the
    nature of good polycarbonate and the brave souls who dissected a 300D to
    discover a robust construction was very kind, and I'm grateful for the
    info.

    These durn things are expensive, and I value good construction over
    rickety cameras dressed up with "feature-itis."

    > sincerely hope you've alienated yourself from any further help or advice you
    > might get here, and I see that at least one other person was taken aback by
    > your response to me.

    Great minds think alike, I suppose. Congratulations. Y'all have fun in
    Stockholm.

    > I'd imagine that there are others who might be
    > frightened to respond to you in case you take the same sort of attitude to
    > them as you did to me.

    The very idea of being frightened by a USENET poster boggles my mind.

    > Oh, and I wouldn't advise that you get a 300D - I suspect it might be too
    > difficult for you to manage.

    Well, that's close to being on-topic. Even if you did make me cry a little.

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "If you can't handle MiGs, don't fly in MiG
    alley." -D. Aykroyd

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Feb 21, 2004