The "Digital Photography Not Permitted On Aircraft..." thread

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Bartram, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. Paul Bartram

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Wow, when you view that in 'conversational' mode it just keeps going! Don't
    think I've ever seen one go so long...

    And are we any the wiser because of it? :)

    Paul
     
    Paul Bartram, Jan 18, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Paul Bartram

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Bartram wrote:
    Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
    because of it? :)
    >
    > Paul


    As the actress said to the bishop.


    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
     
    Paul Heslop, Jan 18, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Paul Bartram

    Podge Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Paul Bartram wrote:
    > Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
    > because of it? :)
    >>
    >> Paul

    >
    > As the actress said to the bishop.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    > -------------------------------------------------------
    > Stop and Look
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/



    I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
    certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
    meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not the
    least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
    missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
    takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the airlines
    won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
    takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
    portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
    something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.

    http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travelinfo/ontheplane/electronicequipment/default.htm#anytime

    But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
    turbulence during any part of a flight? Well it seems that, at least Air NZ
    has decided that a portable shaver's electronics won't interfere with
    navigation systems. And some day, I hope they decide that digital cameras
    and camcorders don't emit harmful radiation either. I don't think there have
    been any documented instances yet when the use of digital cameras has been
    found to cause harm to an aircraft's systems, but several posters to the
    thread have pointed out that newer digital cameras can have wifi, GPS etc.
    so everyone seems to be reconciled to the view that we should only take our
    pics about 10 minutes after the flight has started, which means that some of
    the best photographic opportunities will have been missed.

    Anyway, I shouldn't repeat all the issues here, it's best to post your views
    to the main thread so that everyone can see what you think.

    Podge
     
    Podge, Jan 19, 2008
    #3
  4. Paul Bartram

    acl Guest

    On Jan 19, 3:19 am, "Podge" <> wrote:
    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    > > Paul Bartram wrote:
    > > Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
    > > because of it? :)

    >
    > >> Paul

    >
    > > As the actress said to the bishop.

    >
    > > --
    > > Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    > > -------------------------------------------------------
    > > Stop and Look
    > >http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    >
    > I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
    > certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
    > meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not the
    > least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
    > missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
    > takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the airlines
    > won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
    > takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
    > portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
    > something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.
    >
    > http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travelinfo/ontheplane/electronicequipm...
    >
    > But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
    > turbulence during any part of a flight?


    Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
    flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
    they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
    high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
    practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
    airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
    landing!).

    Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
    wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
    decrypted.
     
    acl, Jan 19, 2008
    #4
  5. Paul Bartram

    Podge Guest

    "acl" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Jan 19, 3:19 am, "Podge" <> wrote:
    >> "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...
    >>
    >> > Paul Bartram wrote:
    >> > Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
    >> > because of it? :)

    >>
    >> >> Paul

    >>
    >> > As the actress said to the bishop.

    >>
    >> > --
    >> > Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    >> > -------------------------------------------------------
    >> > Stop and Look
    >> >http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    >>
    >> I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
    >> certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
    >> meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not
    >> the
    >> least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
    >> missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
    >> takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the
    >> airlines
    >> won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
    >> takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
    >> portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
    >> something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.
    >>
    >> http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travelinfo/ontheplane/electronicequipm...
    >>
    >> But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
    >> turbulence during any part of a flight?

    >
    > Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
    > flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
    > they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
    > high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
    > practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
    > airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
    > landing!).
    >
    > Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
    > wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
    > decrypted.


    Here's some more inflight shaving news:

    On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:

    "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
    aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
    charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may only
    be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."

    http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/helpingyoutravel/electronicdevices

    Podge
     
    Podge, Jan 25, 2008
    #5
  6. [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to
    Podge
    <>], who wrote in article <479a5d7a$>:
    > On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:
    >
    > "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
    > aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
    > charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may only
    > be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."
    >
    > http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/helpingyoutravel/electronicdevices


    AHA!!! So all you need is a portable shaver with a battery slot which
    fits all the types of your rechargables!

    Good to know, ;-)
    Ilya
     
    Ilya Zakharevich, Jan 27, 2008
    #6
  7. Paul Bartram

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Podge wrote:
    >
    > "acl" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Jan 19, 3:19 am, "Podge" <> wrote:
    >>> "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> news:...
    >>>
    >>> > Paul Bartram wrote:
    >>> > Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
    >>> > because of it? :)
    >>>
    >>> >> Paul
    >>>
    >>> > As the actress said to the bishop.
    >>>
    >>> > --
    >>> > Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    >>> > -------------------------------------------------------
    >>> > Stop and Look
    >>> >http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    >>>
    >>> I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
    >>> certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
    >>> meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines.
    >>> Not the
    >>> least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
    >>> missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
    >>> takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the
    >>> airlines
    >>> won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
    >>> takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
    >>> portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle
    >>> with
    >>> something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travelinfo/ontheplane/electronicequipm...
    >>>
    >>> But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
    >>> turbulence during any part of a flight?

    >>
    >> Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
    >> flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
    >> they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
    >> high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
    >> practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
    >> airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
    >> landing!).
    >>
    >> Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
    >> wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
    >> decrypted.

    >
    > Here's some more inflight shaving news:
    >
    > On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:
    >
    > "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
    > aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
    > charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may
    > only be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."
    >
    > http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/helpingyoutravel/electronicdevices
    >
    > Podge


    One wonders why such outlets are provided....
     
    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2008
    #7
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > Podge wrote:
    > >
    > > "acl" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > >> On Jan 19, 3:19 am, "Podge" <> wrote:
    > >>> "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > >>>
    > >>> news:...
    > >>>
    > >>> > Paul Bartram wrote:
    > >>> > Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
    > >>> > because of it? :)
    > >>>
    > >>> >> Paul
    > >>>
    > >>> > As the actress said to the bishop.
    > >>>
    > >>> > --
    > >>> > Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    > >>> > -------------------------------------------------------
    > >>> > Stop and Look
    > >>> >http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    > >>>
    > >>> I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
    > >>> certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
    > >>> meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines.
    > >>> Not the
    > >>> least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
    > >>> missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
    > >>> takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the
    > >>> airlines
    > >>> won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
    > >>> takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
    > >>> portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle
    > >>> with
    > >>> something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.
    > >>>
    > >>> http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travelinfo/ontheplane/electronicequipm...
    > >>>
    > >>> But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
    > >>> turbulence during any part of a flight?
    > >>
    > >> Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
    > >> flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
    > >> they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
    > >> high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
    > >> practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
    > >> airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
    > >> landing!).
    > >>
    > >> Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
    > >> wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
    > >> decrypted.

    > >
    > > Here's some more inflight shaving news:
    > >
    > > On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:
    > >
    > > "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
    > > aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
    > > charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may
    > > only be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."
    > >
    > > http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/helpingyoutravel/electronicdevices
    > >
    > > Podge

    >
    > One wonders why such outlets are provided....


    For the same reason that there are still ashtrays to be found, despite
    the practically total ban on smoking aboard. They're a holdover, and
    they'll disappear soon enough as fleets are updated.

    --Gene
     
    Gene S. Berkowitz, Jan 27, 2008
    #8
  9. Paul Bartram

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Gene S.
    Berkowitz <> wrote:

    > For the same reason that there are still ashtrays to be found, despite
    > the practically total ban on smoking aboard. They're a holdover, and
    > they'll disappear soon enough as fleets are updated.


    i haven't seen an ashtray on a plane in *years*.
     
    nospam, Jan 27, 2008
    #9
  10. In article <270120081532416485%>,
    lid says...
    > In article <>, Gene S.
    > Berkowitz <> wrote:
    >
    > > For the same reason that there are still ashtrays to be found, despite
    > > the practically total ban on smoking aboard. They're a holdover, and
    > > they'll disappear soon enough as fleets are updated.

    >
    > i haven't seen an ashtray on a plane in *years*.


    I flew SW a few months back; there was still an ashtray built into the
    lavatory door. With a "No Smoking" sticker above it.

    --Gene
     
    Gene S. Berkowitz, Jan 28, 2008
    #10
  11. Gene S. Berkowitz <> wrote:
    >I flew SW a few months back; there was still an ashtray built into the
    >lavatory door. With a "No Smoking" sticker above it.


    Well, the weight of the sticker is negligable, so it doesn't have to be
    recorded.
    If someone were to remove the ashtray than that's not only more work, but
    someone would have to record the change in the airplanes logs and the weight
    and balance of the aircraft would have to be re-calculated.
    Ridiculous? Well, it's those regulations that make air travel as save as it
    is today.

    Compare that to those people who behave like 3 year old toddlers and stomp
    their feet on the ground because they are not allowed to take photos during
    the most critical phases of flight.

    jue
     
    Jürgen Exner, Jan 28, 2008
    #11
  12. Paul Bartram

    Podge Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Compare that to those people who behave like 3 year old toddlers and stomp
    > their feet on the ground because they are not allowed to take photos
    > during
    > the most critical phases of flight.
    >
    > jue



    If you read the main thread, I was questionning whether the use of digital
    cameras during flight could cause interference to an aircraft's navigation
    systems. I wanted to understand why there should be a ban on digital
    photography during takeoffs and landings. About 720 postings were made in
    that usenet thread, which shows how many issues are involved. People who
    took part in that thread were not "stomping their feet on the ground", they
    were happy to obey the airlines' rules, but they wanted to understand why
    there is a ban on digital photography during critical phases of a flight.
    They also wanted to know whether this ban also applies to the use of older
    film cameras.

    Podge
     
    Podge, Jan 28, 2008
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Official where are you from thread

    Silverstrand, Jun 20, 2005, in forum: The Lounge
    Replies:
    157
    Views:
    35,457
    sandyololo
    Oct 26, 2013
  2. Silverstrand

    Official how old are you thread

    Silverstrand, Jun 20, 2005, in forum: The Lounge
    Replies:
    143
    Views:
    14,810
    susanai
    Jul 4, 2011
  3. Beat von Arx

    thread button not working

    Beat von Arx, Oct 25, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    388
    Irwin Greenwald
    Oct 25, 2003
  4. Calimero

    TB: mark a thread in news

    Calimero, Dec 17, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    569
    Calimero
    Dec 19, 2003
  5. smily
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,335
    smily
    Jul 8, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page