    difference between expressions 'dialog box' and 'window'. For examplen:
    "...dialog box/window appears." Is there a difference and when should I use
    what? After all, all the dialog boxes are windows. Right?!

    =?Utf-8?B?RXNjYXJkbw==?=, Jun 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RXNjYXJkbw==?=

    Cerebrus Guest

    Escardo wrote:

    > I'm writing instructions for an application and started thinking of the
    > difference between expressions 'dialog box' and 'window'. For examplen:
    > "...dialog box/window appears." Is there a difference and when should I use
    > what? After all, all the dialog boxes are windows. Right?!

    I think, Dialog boxes are Windows forms in which you present some
    information to the user in the form of a dialog, and you ask him for
    some response, maybe clicking a button, entering some information in a
    textbox, etc.

    A window on the other hand could be an Explorer window, a browser
    window, an application window, anything in the Windows interface,
    basically.

    So, dialog boxes are *not* windows, in my opinion.

    Cerebrus, Jun 7, 2006

  3. In general I agree with Cerebus. For more detail see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogue_box
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_(computing)

    A dialogue box is a subset of the more generic window which is used to
    solicit input or interactions of some sort from the user.

    Your basic syllogism is correct...all dailogue boxes are windows, however
    not all windows are dialogue boxes and the more advanced your user is the
    more likely he/she is to nitpick your choice of terminology.
    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTdHJvaGVja2Vy?=, Jun 7, 2006