    herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
    in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
    languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 8, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On Sep 8, 11:44 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Off-the-shelf apps are no longer enough
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/here-comes-the-decade-of-the-developer/...>.
    > More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
    > quick custom development. The way I see it, tools oriented towards corporate
    > herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
    > in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
    > languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

    With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like HTML/CSS/
    JavaScript

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 8, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    On Sep 8, 3:24 pm, Nik Coughlin <> wrote:
    > On Sep 8, 11:44 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > Off-the-shelf apps are no longer enough
    > > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/here-comes-the-decade-of-the-developer/....>.
    > > More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
    > > quick custom development. The way I see it, tools oriented towards corporate
    > > herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
    > > in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
    > > languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

    > With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like HTML/CSS/
    > JavaScript

    Agreed. HTML5 and related technologies are already being considered
    for many of our corporate projects, along with (of course) a few
    in .Net.

    , Sep 8, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Sep 8, 11:44 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Off-the-shelf apps are no longer enough
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/here-comes-the-decade-of-the-developer/...>.
    > More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
    > quick custom development. The way I see it, tools oriented towards corporate
    > herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
    > in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
    > languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

    Anyone know of any large corporate companies using Python en masse for
    their projects in this country? There could be, but I don't know of
    any.

    Simon, Sep 8, 2010
  5. In message
    <>, Nik
    Coughlin wrote:

    > On Sep 8, 11:44 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> ... instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic languages
    >> (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

    > With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like HTML/CSS/
    > JavaScript

    Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about Web-based GUIs
    is they’re automatically cross-platform.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 8, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    > In message
    > <>,
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 8, 11:44 am, Lawrence
    >> D'Oliveiro<_zealand> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ... instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
    >>> languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

    >> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like
    >> HTML/CSS/ JavaScript

    > Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about
    > Web-based GUIs is they’re automatically cross-platform.

    Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
    platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
    automatically 'cross-browser'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Sep 8, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On Sep 8, 10:46 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 08/09/10 19:44, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > In message
    > > <>,
    > > Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > >> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like
    > >> HTML/CSS/ JavaScript

    > > Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about
    > > Web-based GUIs is they’re automatically cross-platform.

    > Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
    > platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
    > automatically 'cross-browser'.

    While not being automatically cross-browser it's pretty easy to write
    web apps that work in any browser, with the proviso that if you want
    to support antique versions of IE you have to do a bit of extra work.

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 8, 2010
  8. In article <4c876999$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 08/09/10 19:44, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like
    >>> HTML/CSS/ JavaScript

    >> Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about
    >> Web-based GUIs is they’re automatically cross-platform.

    >Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
    >platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
    >automatically 'cross-browser'.

    Quite so ... particularly given the standards are often extended and so,
    broken. If the standards were, then all *should* be well. At least
    theoretically. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On Sep 9, 10:41 am, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > >> Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
    > >> platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
    > >> automatically 'cross-browser'.

    > > While not being automatically cross-browser it's pretty easy to write
    > > web apps that work in any browser, with the proviso that if you want
    > > to support antique versions of IE you have to do a bit of extra work.

    > Typically more "advanced" features (like drag and drop) are more difficult
    > to make behave on all browsers.

    Drag and drop within the browser is trivial, even cross-browser. Drag
    and drop from the OS to the browser is another story entirely...

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 9, 2010
  10. I wrote:

    > More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
    > quick custom development.

    Here’s another failure of the centralized big-bang approach to IT
    systems development
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/projectfailures/uk-health-service-abandons-massive-it-centralization-plan/10848>:

    A new approach to implementation will take a modular approach, allowing
    NHS organisations to introduce smaller, more manageable change, in line
    with their business requirements and capacity. NHS services will be the
    customers of a more plural system of IT embodying the core assumption of
    ‘connect all’, rather than ‘replace all’ systems.

    Smaller-scale changes means more frequent changes. Instead of the top-down
    approach of a massive new system rollout every few years (with its
    consequent perverse incentives to stick with outdated systems), this will
    mean continual rollouts happening at some place in the organization at any
    moment.

    Systems on this scale are essentially impossible to test completely before
    deployment. So why not combine testing and deployment? Let some of your more
    savvy staff be the beta testers—having access to the latest and greatest can
    be promoted as a status thing, after all. Once it passes their scrutiny, it
    can be introduced to the ones that need more handholding—just in time for
    the next cool new thing to enter the top of the pipeline. And so it goes.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2010
  11. Developers, developers, developers
    <http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/09/09/the-new-kingmakers/>. As in the folks
    doing the actual work, not their bosses. The bosses were the ones procuring
    site licences for Microsoft Visual Studio, while their workers were
    bypassing all this by downloading the LAMP stack. The CIO is the last to
    know.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 12, 2010