The Darkness decends

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Aug 25, 2012.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. PeeCee

    peter Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193352/BREAKING-NEWS-Samsung-

    ordered-pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10829382

    An interesting lecture on how creativity really works;
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/kirby_ferguson_embrace_the_remix.html

    Creativity is built on the work of others.
    Henry Ford; "progress happens when all the factors that make for it are
    ready and then it is inevitable"

    It also shows how Steve Jobs thought it was ok for Apple to copy off others,
    but not ok for anyone else to copy their stuff.
    Steve Jobs; "we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QzJa_OU0tI

    peter, Aug 25, 2012

  3. PeeCee

    Gib Bogle Guest

  4. PeeCee

    victor Guest

  5. PeeCee

    Me Guest

    On 26/08/2012 5:13 p.m., victor wrote:
    > On 26/08/2012 10:07 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> On 25/08/2012 1:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    >>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html
    >>>

    >>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10829382
    >>>

    >> A crushing blow.

    > http://pandodaily.com/2012/08/25/co...s-decision-to-mimic-apple-paid-off-in-spades/

    The reader comments posted after such articles make interesting reading.
    It's amazing how much passion has been generated amongst the general
    public over technical, legal, and ethical matters surrounding the
    manufacture and use of wireless telephones.

    Me, Aug 26, 2012
  6. In article <k1bib0$g26$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >On 25/08/2012 1:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193352/BREAKING-NEWS-Samsung-ordered-
    >pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10829382

    >A crushing blow.

    To what exactly ?

    It will be appealed ... and probably appealed again.

    Some US judges are known to make outrageous decisions in this sort of case
    to ensure the decision is appealed, knowing they actually have no say. Yes,
    I know it was a jury (of only 9 I think ?).

    This decision is far from "made". :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 27, 2012
  7. PeeCee

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 27/08/2012 11:14 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <k1bib0$g26$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> On 25/08/2012 1:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    >> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193352/BREAKING-NEWS-Samsung-ordered-
    >> pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10829382

    >> A crushing blow.

    > To what exactly ?
    >
    > It will be appealed ... and probably appealed again.
    >
    > Some US judges are known to make outrageous decisions in this sort of case
    > to ensure the decision is appealed, knowing they actually have no say. Yes,
    > I know it was a jury (of only 9 I think ?).
    >
    > This decision is far from "made". :)

    I hope you are right.

    Gib Bogle, Aug 27, 2012
  8. On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:09:23 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:

    >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10829382

    The hole thing is corrupt it seems that it only took 3 days to come out
    with this massive decision.

    Trouble is the case was not fought on natural grounds Apple is a US
    company and Samsung is a Korean one, so its obvious that a US court
    would side with Apple.

    I hear that Ford is taking all the car companies to court now.

    Frank Williams, Aug 27, 2012
  9. PeeCee

    Seagull Guest

    "Mutlley" wrote in message

    Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:09:23 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html
    >>
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10829382

    >The hole thing is corrupt it seems that it only took 3 days to come out
    >with this massive decision.
    >
    >Trouble is the case was not fought on natural grounds Apple is a US
    >company and Samsung is a Korean one, so its obvious that a US court
    >would side with Apple.
    >
    >I hear that Ford is taking all the car companies to court now.

    Especially when Apple, The court and the jury are all from the San
    Jose , CA area.

    On a lighter note?
    http://dottech.org/miscellaneous/77906/apple-kills-star-trek-with-court-order-parody/

    Seagull, Aug 30, 2012
  10. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 27/08/2012 8:44 a.m., Me wrote:
    > On 26/08/2012 5:13 p.m., victor wrote:

    >>> A crushing blow.

    >> http://pandodaily.com/2012/08/25/co...s-decision-to-mimic-apple-paid-off-in-spades/
    >>

    > The reader comments posted after such articles make interesting reading.
    > It's amazing how much passion has been generated amongst the general
    > public over technical, legal, and ethical matters surrounding the
    > manufacture and use of wireless telephones.

    That will get Apple some sales for sure, and rightly so, they make good
    products. I appreciate that they have to defend their investment with
    the limited rights granted to them.
    The patents are just part of the business though, and the response of
    their competitors will be, we've got work to do, we have a business to
    run, what are the options ? To pay royalties, to work around the
    patents, to develop an alternative, to continue to litigate, to exchange
    patent rights etc. I wouldn't expect any radical change in Android phones
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/3279628/apple-pinch-to-zoom-patent-myth

    victor, Aug 31, 2012
  11. PeeCee

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Aug 31, 2012
  12. PeeCee

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 27, 7:38 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > Trouble is the case was not fought on natural grounds Apple is a US
    > company and Samsung is a Korean one, so its obvious that a US court
    > would side with Apple.
    >
    > I hear that Ford is taking all the car companies to court now.

    That would put the boot on the other foot. Ford was sued for
    infringing a patent a guy claimed to have on any type of motor
    vehicle.

    peterwn, Sep 1, 2012
  13. PeeCee

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, Sep 1, 2012
  14. PeeCee

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-09-01, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Aug 27, 7:38 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Trouble is the case was not fought on natural grounds Apple is a US
    >> company and Samsung is a Korean one, so its obvious that a US court
    >> would side with Apple.
    >>
    >> I hear that Ford is taking all the car companies to court now.

    > That would put the boot on the other foot. Ford was sued for
    > infringing a patent a guy claimed to have on any type of motor
    > vehicle.

    Best example of why patents are well past their use by date.

    Gordon, Sep 1, 2012
  15. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2012/8/31/apple-v-samsung-what-if-they-hadpatented-the-alphabet.html

    victor, Sep 1, 2012
  16. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 1/09/2012 6:22 p.m., victor wrote:
    > On 1/09/2012 4:57 p.m., Gordon wrote:

    >>> That would put the boot on the other foot. Ford was sued for
    >>> infringing a patent a guy claimed to have on any type of motor
    >>> vehicle.

    >> Best example of why patents are well past their use by date.
    >>

    > http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2012/8/31/apple-v-samsung-what-if-they-hadpatented-the-alphabet.html

    Imagine we were just developing spoken language for the first time. And
    someone came up with a new word to describe an action, thought, or
    feeling - like “magnify†or “dreadful.†But in this strange world, the
    person who came up with the word demanded anyone else who used it to pay
    him a dollar every time the word was uttered. That would make it pretty
    difficult for us to negotiate our way to a society that communicated
    through speech.

    That’s the way the patent wars on smartphone and tablet advances are
    beginning to feel to me.

    As a human being, I do not particularly care about Apple’s recent
    victory in the US version of its patent lawsuit against Samsung for
    copying its iPhone and iPad’s form and features. Now that Apple is
    demanding that Samsung pull eight of its products off the shelf, my only
    personal interest is whether the Samsung products, once banned, will
    become collectors’ items. Will I one day want to show my grandchild the
    phone that dared to mimic the iPhone?

    But while the details of legalities and impact to share prices and even
    consumer choice don’t keep me or any of my friends up at night, there
    is nonetheless something creepy about Apple’s suit. It’s not so much
    that Apple - the biggest company in the world - has turned into a
    competitive monster; it’s the territory that Apple’s fighting over. It
    feels as if the technology innovation wars are no longer over one piece
    of technology or another, but over us humans.

    It’s one thing for Apple to defend the look and feel of its phone -
    things like the little button on the bottom, which are apparently
    obvious but actually the result of a lengthy and painstaking design
    process. They may deserve a few years exclusive on stuff like that.

    But when it comes to gestures, such as the now ubiquitous “pinch and
    zoom†technology through which users stretch or shrink pictures and
    text, well, that no longer feels quite the same. They are gestures that
    may have begun on the device, but which have become internalized, human
    movements. When my daughter was three I used to watch her attempt to
    enact those same swipes and stretches on the television screen - a
    phenomenon so prevalent that many television dealers now keep a supply
    of Windex handy to clean their giant flat screens of children’s
    fingerprints on a regular basis.

    That’s because these gestures are not simply technological innovations,
    but the language through which we humans are coming to navigate our way
    through the emerging digital landscape. We take to gestures and
    movements that grow out of the ones we use here in the real world. To
    translate them into the digital realm well requires skill, but the
    gestures themselves are not the typical territories - like land masses -
    over which corporations have traditionally fought. They’re inside us.

    Usually, advancements of this sort are developed through consortia of
    companies. The HTML standards through which the Web is rendered are not
    owned by a single company, but developed together and used by everyone.
    Imagine if one musical instrument company owned the patent on the piano
    keyboard, and another on the tuning of a violin. Or what if every
    typewriter company had to develop its own layout of letters? What if
    blowing one’s nose into soft disposable paper were owned by Kleenex?

    While Apple deserves to be rewarded for the innovations it comes up
    with, there’s a limit to how far into our learned behaviors that the
    company should be awarded protection from competitors. Our transition
    toward a digitally functioning society is no less momentous than the
    shift from grunters to speakers, or from speakers to readers and
    writers. As such, it will require an equally cooperative spirit from the
    people and companies who take us there.

    victor, Sep 1, 2012
  17. PeeCee

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 18:28:29 +1200, victor <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 1/09/2012 6:22 p.m., victor wrote:

    >>> Best example of why patents are well past their use by date.
    >>>

    >> http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2012/8/31/apple-v-samsung-what-if-they-hadpatented-the-alphabet.html
    >>

    >Imagine we were just developing spoken language for the first time. And
    >someone came up with a new word to describe an action, thought, or
    >feeling - like “magnify” or “dreadful.” But in this strange world, the
    >person who came up with the word demanded anyone else who used it to pay
    >him a dollar every time the word was uttered. That would make it pretty
    >difficult for us to negotiate our way to a society that communicated
    >through speech.

    Especially if you give me a penny for your thoughts and I give you my
    two cents worth.

    Donchano, Sep 1, 2012
  18. PeeCee

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Sep 1, 2012
  19. In article <k1saqv$52p$>, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >On 25/08/2012 1:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
    >>

    > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2193352/BREAKING-NEWS-Samsung-ordered-
    >pay-Apple-1BILLION-losing-patent-case.html
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10829382
    >It's ironic that once naive people thought of Apple as the good guy
    >versus the Microsoft bad guy.

    All the big guys are bad guys (or will become bad guys). Should go without
    saying ... but as you suggest, it often doesn't. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 3, 2012