The dark side beckons I am starting to see the light

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Well after about 30 minutes of playing with Knoppix 3.6 Live CD, I said,
    hells teeth, if this is how far Linux has gone MS does have a reason to
    start becoming concerned.

    While it is still not an end user type system, its dam close, and anyone
    with a moderate amount of PC knowledge could set it up and use it well.

    The issues remain peripheral support, scanner, printers and the likes.
    TV cards seem well catered for, my card went first time, scan for
    channels of off we went.

    Networking with Samba, it actually seemed quicker than MS Networking.
    Reads NTFS drives okay, still havnt got the write support working but
    its there.
    Open Office opened all my MS Documents and sheets okay so bang goes
    office if I change over.
    Didnt try wine but thats next on the list of try outs.
    Modem worked first time, not the winmodem, only the hardware com modem.
    Mouse works including the wheel.
    USB Drive popped up sweet as.
    Small issue with too high a refresh freq for my monitor at higher
    resolutions.

    All and all a good experience.

    I loved it now to get a spare machine to play with Xandros.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 24, 2004