"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jul 15, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    A couple of days ago, two things happened; the PC concerned became
    unstable after running low on swap space, and I installed MS updates (W2K).

    After rebooting, I get the error message "The credentials supplied
    conflict with an existing set of credentials" when trying to access my
    shares on my CentOS fileserver as they appear in My Network Places.

    Any pointers? I cannot see any existing connections to the fileserver
    from this machine, so can't see that there is an existing set of
    credentials in use to conflict with anyway; and I always use the same
    login/connect as name too.

    This setup has run rock-solid for months, and I've made no changes to
    anything at the fileserver, either.

    I can work around this by mapping network drives to drive letters (and
    using IP address not server name), but I really don't want to do that as
    it tends to slow down loading "My Computer' especially if things break.

    I'm picking that either MS update has broken something (unlikely) or
    system instability has broken some configuration file somewhere - but what?

    -=rjh=-, Jul 15, 2006

  2. -=rjh=-

    Malcolm Guest

    Re: "The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set ofcredentials"

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:07:04 +1200
    -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    > A couple of days ago, two things happened; the PC concerned became
    > unstable after running low on swap space, and I installed MS updates
    > (W2K).
    >
    > After rebooting, I get the error message "The credentials supplied
    > conflict with an existing set of credentials" when trying to access
    > my shares on my CentOS fileserver as they appear in My Network Places.
    >
    > Any pointers? I cannot see any existing connections to the fileserver
    > from this machine, so can't see that there is an existing set of
    > credentials in use to conflict with anyway; and I always use the same
    > login/connect as name too.
    >
    > This setup has run rock-solid for months, and I've made no changes to
    > anything at the fileserver, either.
    >
    > I can work around this by mapping network drives to drive letters
    > (and using IP address not server name), but I really don't want to do
    > that as it tends to slow down loading "My Computer' especially if
    > things break.
    >
    > I'm picking that either MS update has broken something (unlikely) or
    > system instability has broken some configuration file somewhere - but
    > what?

    Hi
    Plenty about the issue on google, this should help though;

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197987

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Jul 15, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:07:04 +1200
    > -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of days ago, two things happened; the PC concerned became
    >> unstable after running low on swap space, and I installed MS updates
    >> (W2K).
    >>
    >> After rebooting, I get the error message "The credentials supplied
    >> conflict with an existing set of credentials" when trying to access
    >> my shares on my CentOS fileserver as they appear in My Network Places.
    >>
    >> Any pointers? I cannot see any existing connections to the fileserver
    >> from this machine, so can't see that there is an existing set of
    >> credentials in use to conflict with anyway; and I always use the same
    >> login/connect as name too.
    >>
    >> This setup has run rock-solid for months, and I've made no changes to
    >> anything at the fileserver, either.
    >>
    >> I can work around this by mapping network drives to drive letters
    >> (and using IP address not server name), but I really don't want to do
    >> that as it tends to slow down loading "My Computer' especially if
    >> things break.
    >>
    >> I'm picking that either MS update has broken something (unlikely) or
    >> system instability has broken some configuration file somewhere - but
    >> what?

    > Hi
    > Plenty about the issue on google,

    I know; mostly detailing that this is normal behaviour and a "security
    feature" (although google was where I found the MS recommended
    workaround of using the IP address).

    this should help though;

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197987

    Like a charm. Thanks.