    Cheap bastards! Hey, clue to Canuck's: my pc is busted. I can't
    download a dang CD on this 98 box and ain't got no steekin' CD burner.

    Y'all have any suggestions for some recovery software for old Frosty?

    Frosty, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Frosty

    JANA Guest

    Spend a few bucks, and install a CD burner. Then the problem will be solved.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    Well boys and goyem, the problem with my PC turned out to be a faulty
    hard drive.
    Maxtor is sending another one to me and I'm gonna put my XP OS on it &
    try to move my data over.
    Maxtor suggested I get a piece of software from r-studio.com to recover
    the stuff.

    I was gonna go for the $79.99 one since they offer to snail-mail me a
    CD but big surprise the frickin' Canuck's don't even send that one in a
    CD! I gotta download it and burn my own.

    JANA, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Frosty

    thanatoid Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in

    > Well boys and goyem, the problem with my PC turned out to
    > be a faulty hard drive.
    > Maxtor is sending another one to me and I'm gonna put my XP
    > OS on it & try to move my data over.
    > Maxtor suggested I get a piece of software from
    > r-studio.com to recover the stuff.
    >
    > I was gonna go for the $79.99 one since they offer to
    > snail-mail me a CD but big surprise the frickin' Canuck's
    > don't even send that one in a CD! I gotta download it and
    > burn my own.
    >
    > Cheap bastards! Hey, clue to Canuck's: my pc is busted. I
    > can't download a dang CD on this 98 box and ain't got no
    > steekin' CD burner.
    >
    > Y'all have any suggestions for some recovery software for
    > old Frosty?

    You will be surprised to know that most data recovery programs
    are very small and would fit on a few floppies. CD's are just
    cheaper to distribute - although apparently not cheap enough for
    some companies.
    Whichever one you choose, it will take very little time to DL,
    you can go to an internet cafe and DL/burn it there for a few
    dollars.

    You could also Google for "free data recovery" although you may
    not find anything.

    Of course, there's also the warez NG's... This IS the Usenet,
    after all... ;-#

    thanatoid, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Frosty wrote:

    > Well boys and goyem, the problem with my PC turned out to be a faulty
    > hard drive.
    > Maxtor is sending another one to me and I'm gonna put my XP OS on it &
    > try to move my data over.
    > Maxtor suggested I get a piece of software from r-studio.com to recover
    > the stuff.
    >
    > I was gonna go for the $79.99 one since they offer to snail-mail me a
    > CD but big surprise the frickin' Canuck's don't even send that one in a
    > CD! I gotta download it and burn my own.

    Uhm. And they promise the blue out of the sky?
    Your harddrive may already be terminally dead, but who knows. Using a linux
    bootcd (knoppix, RIP, find them on a computer magazine) and cancelling the
    useless software, instead getting another stick of RAM for your win98 box
    so it will even have enough ram to create the necessary ramdisk, is far
    better. The RAM (most probably sdram, more help if you dare to provide
    specs for your box and the mobo) will serve you later as well.
    With that bootcd, and the 2nd drive attached, you can do a dd_rescue, as an
    example. Well, even a simple bootable ghost floppy (sent to you via e-mail
    and downloaded from elsewhere) should do the trick, with some parameter to
    ignore b0rken sectors while cloning.

    > Cheap bastards! Hey, clue to Canuck's: my pc is busted. I can't
    > download a dang CD on this 98 box and ain't got no steekin' CD burner.

    For that $80,- you will get a comp magazine with knoppix on it, a stick of
    sdram and a cd/dvd burner.

    > Y'all have any suggestions for some recovery software for old Frosty?

    Recover from the thieves they sent you to.
    Instead, someone (my mail addy is valid) may - upon request - send a
    bootable floppy image plus rawwrite, to a mail address (friend?) you
    specify.

    Walter Mautner, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Thu, 03 Aug 2006 13:19:04 +0200, an entity identified as
    Walter Mautner <> proudly
    proclaimed:

    >Frosty wrote:
    >
    >> Well boys and goyem, the problem with my PC turned out to be a faulty
    >> hard drive.
    >> Maxtor is sending another one to me and I'm gonna put my XP OS on it &
    >> try to move my data over.
    >> Maxtor suggested I get a piece of software from r-studio.com to recover
    >> the stuff.
    >>
    >> I was gonna go for the $79.99 one since they offer to snail-mail me a
    >> CD but big surprise the frickin' Canuck's don't even send that one in a
    >> CD! I gotta download it and burn my own.
    >>

    >Uhm. And they promise the blue out of the sky?
    >Your harddrive may already be terminally dead, but who knows. Using a linux
    >bootcd (knoppix, RIP, find them on a computer magazine) and cancelling the
    >useless software, instead getting another stick of RAM for your win98 box
    >so it will even have enough ram to create the necessary ramdisk, is far
    >better. The RAM (most probably sdram, more help if you dare to provide
    >specs for your box and the mobo) will serve you later as well.
    >With that bootcd, and the 2nd drive attached, you can do a dd_rescue, as an
    >example. Well, even a simple bootable ghost floppy (sent to you via e-mail
    >and downloaded from elsewhere) should do the trick, with some parameter to
    >ignore b0rken sectors while cloning.
    >
    >> Cheap bastards! Hey, clue to Canuck's: my pc is busted. I can't
    >> download a dang CD on this 98 box and ain't got no steekin' CD burner.
    >>

    >For that $80,- you will get a comp magazine with knoppix on it, a stick of
    >sdram and a cd/dvd burner.
    >
    >> Y'all have any suggestions for some recovery software for old Frosty?

    >Recover from the thieves they sent you to.
    >Instead, someone (my mail addy is valid) may - upon request - send a
    >bootable floppy image plus rawwrite, to a mail address (friend?) you
    >specify.

    Fixed it myself fer nuthin'.

    Frosty, Aug 6, 2006