    I don't know how others feel, but I find job titles like that somewhat
    distasteful.

    Mackin
    Mackin, Jun 28, 2005

  2. In article <bm5we.10877$>,
    Mackin <> wrote:

    >I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    >announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    >refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".

    "Evangelist" was used at Apple as a term for people whose job it was to
    promote particular technologies, back in the first decade or so of the
    Macintosh era.

    See, Microsoft copies yet another idea from Apple. It wasn't enough for
    them to commandeer the "Sucks Less" phrase from the System 7.5
    development effort...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Mackin

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <bm5we.10877$>,
    > Mackin <> wrote:
    >

    >>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    >>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    >>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".

    > "Evangelist" was used at Apple as a term for people whose job it was to
    > promote particular technologies, back in the first decade or so of the
    > Macintosh era.
    >
    > See, Microsoft copies yet another idea from Apple. It wasn't enough for
    > them to commandeer the "Sucks Less" phrase from the System 7.5
    > development effort...

    The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is
    that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.....

    ....That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting
    cannot be numbered.
    Roger_Nickel, Jun 28, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    Roger_Nickel <> wrote:

    > ....That which is crooked cannot be made straight...

    They didn't have elastic or memory metals in Biblical times, did they...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2005
  5. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:41:43 +1200, Mackin <> wrote
    in <news:bm5we.10877$>:

    > I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    > announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    > refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
    >
    > Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion? Will you
    > be knocking on our doors like JW's & Mormons next? Hey, perhaps you guys
    > really do worship Bill Gates as God. :)
    >
    > I don't know how others feel, but I find job titles like that somewhat
    > distasteful.

    .... not to mention pretentious and self-important in the extreme.
    --
    Nicolaas

    .... The more grandiose the title the more menial and insignificant the
    position.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Mackin

    David Preece Guest

    David Preece, Jun 28, 2005
  7. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:35:27 +1200, Roger_Nickel <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <bm5we.10877$>,
    >> Mackin <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    >>>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    >>>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".

    >> "Evangelist" was used at Apple as a term for people whose job it was to
    >> promote particular technologies, back in the first decade or so of the
    >> Macintosh era.
    >>
    >> See, Microsoft copies yet another idea from Apple. It wasn't enough for
    >> them to commandeer the "Sucks Less" phrase from the System 7.5
    >> development effort...

    > The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is
    > that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.....
    >
    > ....That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting
    > cannot be numbered.

    .... and that which is ineffable cannot be effed.
    (and neither can I)

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Mackin

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Jun 29, 2005
  9. In article <bm5we.10877$>,
    Mackin <> wrote:

    >I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    >announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    >refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
    >
    >Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion?

    By the way, "evangelist" comes from a Greek word which just means "good
    news". Nothing more. No requirement to ascribe any religious
    connotations to it at all. Unless you are of that bent. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2005
  10. In article <>, Bret <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:27:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <bm5we.10877$>,
    >> Mackin <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    >>>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    >>>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
    >>>
    >>>Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion?

    >>By the way, "evangelist" comes from a Greek word which just means "good
    >>news". Nothing more. No requirement to ascribe any religious
    >>connotations to it at all. Unless you are of that bent. :)

    >Common usage?

    Quite :). It may have meant that to greeks ... but those greeks are well
    gone now. The meaning of words changes ... sometimes quickly (gay used to
    mean happy and carefree for example - to me it still does ... but to many
    ... ? :) ).

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 30, 2005
  11. Mackin

    Bret Guest

    Bret, Jun 30, 2005
  12. Mackin

    shannon Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:27:28 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <bm5we.10877$>,
    >>Mackin <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    >>>announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    >>>refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
    >>>
    >>>Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion?

    >>By the way, "evangelist" comes from a Greek word which just means "good
    >>news". Nothing more. No requirement to ascribe any religious
    >>connotations to it at all. Unless you are of that bent. :)

    > Common usage?

    Context ?
    shannon, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Mackin

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Go easy on the poor bastard, it's probably foisted on him by somebody
    who doesn't know any better.

    Bob McLellan, Jun 30, 2005
  14. In article <>, Bob McLellan <> wrote:
    <tpf>
    >Mackin wrote:
    >> I received a Microsoft TechNet e-mail today and in it Nathan Mercer proudly
    >> announces that he's an "IT Pro Evangelist". The link to his blog also
    >> refers to other MS employees as "Evangelists".
    >>
    >> Bugger me Nathan, is Microsoft a software company or a religion? Will you
    >> be knocking on our doors like JW's & Mormons next? Hey, perhaps you guys
    >> really do worship Bill Gates as God. :)
    >>
    >> I don't know how others feel, but I find job titles like that somewhat
    >> distasteful.

    >Go easy on the poor bastard, it's probably foisted on him by somebody
    >who doesn't know any better.

    By their bosses shall ye know them :)

    Bruce

    - George Bernard Shaw