the canon question; your opinions please.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mydnight, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Mydnight

    Mydnight Guest

    Ok, I'm going to get myself another digital camera...my last one was
    stolen in china. I had a Canon Powershot a70 that I thought was
    pretty decent for a on-the-go-point-and-click sorta cam that I
    actually got some postcardesque looking shots out of.

    Now that I got the accidental option to upgrade, I think I'm going to
    stick with the canon powershot...but which number?

    I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
    the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
    right?

    I'm looking to spend like 250-300, and nearly all of these are within
    that range these days.

    So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.

    Mydnight

    --------------------
    thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

    Mydnight, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Mydnight

    Gary Guest

    In June I got the Pro 1, pricier but I love the zoom and do not regret the
    purchase.

    Gary, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Mydnight

    News Guest

    I got a PowerShot S1 IS in June, when my T70 died whilst on holiday. Still
    experimenting (grand children reckon recording Happy Birthday, as a memo, on
    blow-out-the-candles pics is "SOO COOL") - using a flourescent light-balance
    in woodland gets rid of the green cast. Also, 'though I've a range of
    lenses for the T70, including a 28-300m,. none were usable on an up-market
    Canon DSLR. So I went for the zoom range of the S1 IS (pity it is from 38mm
    equivalent, would have preferred 28).
    Keith

    News, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Mydnight

    Chris Berry Guest

    I waited for the a95 and must say that it has some features that are really
    appealing.
    The large display for one and fucussing modes and aids that really do help.
    cb

    --
    =================================
    Some people have something to say... others have to say something!

    Chris Berry, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Mydnight

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Chris Berry wrote:

    > I waited for the a95 and must say that it has some features that are really
    > appealing.
    > The large display for one and fucussing modes and aids that really do help.
    > cb

    I have the A40, which is very good. If I had to replace it, would
    probably settle for the A95. Bigger sensor and resolution for very
    little more. The swivel lcd is a plus.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Mydnight

    Mydnight Guest

    Did my message look like spam or something? heh. Ya'll give a little
    help here, please!

    Mydnight, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Mydnight <> writes:

    >>I hear that the a80 is better than the a85, but maybe not as good as
    >>the a95 but defininately better than the a70 and a75.....is this
    >>right?

    >>So what do ya'll think? Please give me your opinions on all of this.

    You might start by using Google to search for postings in this newsgroup
    about those cameras. There have been many in the last few months alone.

    Basically, the A80 and A95 are in a class above the A70/A75/A85. The
    former use 1/1.8" CCDs which are larger and less noisy than the 1/2.7"
    CCDs used in the others. The A80/95 also have a flip-out LCD that is
    very useful in some picture taking circumstances; the others lack it.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 24, 2004
  8. Mydnight

    Warren Guest

    I've taken pictures with both an A95 and an A60 and I don't see much
    difference between them. I certainly like the extra megapixels of the A95
    for performing serious cropping without fear of losing detail ( and Canon
    seems to have squeezed these pixels in without detrimental effect). I think
    it really comes down to the very versatile LCD on the A95 (or A80 if you
    want to save some money on last years model) and I have found I can't live
    without it, even though I've never used a digital camera before.

    Warren, Oct 24, 2004