    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Feb 23, 2006

  2. Matthew Poole

    Dave Guest

    "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > At least, that's if we can trust Juha's reporting :p
    >
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/29BFF57CD51A236CCC25711E00732501
    >
    > According to that article, the report uses outdated information about
    > plans from providers overseas and compares them with the as-yet-unreleased
    > plans that have been announced by Telecom.
    > It also doesn't compare with anything other than first-gen ADSL
    > connections - ignoring fibre, wireless, cable, and ADSL2+.
    >
    > The report is so inaccurate that 21 out of 30 of the comparison plans have
    > been superseded or have dropped in price since the data that was used was
    > gathered.
    >
    > --
    > Matthew Poole
    > "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Excellent article. Many thanks for the link

    One thing has become apparent - momentum has now gathered. I hope it
    continues.

    The Government recognises the issues - there is mounting consumer, media and
    competitive pressure to act and break this rotten cycle we are caught up in.
    I only hope that we do not stall at the last minute again - a typical kiwi
    trait over the past few years - "so close yet so far".

    As Annette Presley pointed out last year - "One would question why is the
    government propping up a foreign owned monopoly and supporting its control
    of the NZ market"

    Dave, Feb 24, 2006

  3. On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:09:13 +1300, someone purporting to be Dave didst
    scrawl:

    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    > One thing has become apparent - momentum has now gathered. I hope it
    > continues.

    The sheeple are finally getting the message, it seems. John Campbell
    actually did a remarkably good job of "dummy-ifying" the concepts on his
    show the other night, which will help.

    > The Government recognises the issues - there is mounting consumer, media and
    > competitive pressure to act and break this rotten cycle we are caught up in.
    > I only hope that we do not stall at the last minute again - a typical kiwi
    > trait over the past few years - "so close yet so far".

    One of the key components that was missing in the past was public outrage
    by the PM. Since Cabinet acts merely as an advisory body for the PM's
    final decision, if the PM isn't on-side it doesn't matter how persuasive
    the arguments are. Now that Helen is on the record as being distinctly
    unimpressed with progress the likelihood of real action is greater than
    it's ever been. Still not one, but further from zero than in the past.

    > As Annette Presley pointed out last year - "One would question why is the
    > government propping up a foreign owned monopoly and supporting its control
    > of the NZ market"

    Largest traded volume and hundreds-of-millions of dollars of taxes is
    quite a large stick to wave.

    Matthew Poole, Feb 24, 2006
  4. Matthew Poole

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    >> At least, that's if we can trust Juha's reporting :p
    >>
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/29BFF57CD51A236CCC25711E00732501
    >>
    >> According to that article, the report uses outdated information about
    >> plans from providers overseas and compares them with the as-yet-unreleased
    >> plans that have been announced by Telecom.
    >> It also doesn't compare with anything other than first-gen ADSL
    >> connections - ignoring fibre, wireless, cable, and ADSL2+.
    >>
    >> The report is so inaccurate that 21 out of 30 of the comparison plans have
    >> been superseded or have dropped in price since the data that was used was
    >> gathered.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Matthew Poole
    >> "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    > Excellent article. Many thanks for the link
    >
    > One thing has become apparent - momentum has now gathered. I hope it
    > continues.

    Well, something (whatever it is) has got to happen *far* faster than
    anything to date; anything not done and dusted before the next election
    will be reversed by Maurice Williamson if National get back in.

    Frankly, I'll be surprised if Labour can achieve anything significant in
    that timeframe.

    -=rjh=-, Feb 24, 2006
  5. In article <NLJLf.154251$>,
    says...

    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > > At least, that's if we can trust Juha's reporting :p
    > >
    > > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/29BFF57CD51A236CCC25711E00732501

    [snip]

    > Excellent article. Many thanks for the link
    >
    > One thing has become apparent - momentum has now gathered. I hope it
    > continues.

    [snip]

    I felt inspired by this to do a very quick and insignificant bit of research of
    my own.
    t-online.de (German Telecom, very conservative usually) 2Mbit down, 192 kbit up
    19.99 Euro/month, no data cap mentioned (NZ$35.80)
    demon.co.uk 2 Mbit down, 250kbit up, contention 50:1, no data cap mentioned,
    19.99 quid/month (that's about 52 bucks)

    Hmmm. Well, I want my breakfast so I won't look any further just now :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 24, 2006
  6. Matthew Poole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:09:13 +1300, someone purporting to be Dave
    > didst scrawl:
    >

    >> "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message

    > *SNIP*
    >> One thing has become apparent - momentum has now gathered. I hope it
    >> continues.
    >>

    > The sheeple are finally getting the message, it seems. John Campbell
    > actually did a remarkably good job of "dummy-ifying" the concepts on
    > his show the other night, which will help.

    I agree. I watch very little TV outside of a few selected shows (Mainly
    "House") but have seen Campbell before and thought he wasn't bad. Now that
    assesment has been revised upwards to 'pretty good'. :)

    >> The Government recognises the issues - there is mounting consumer,
    >> media and competitive pressure to act and break this rotten cycle we
    >> are caught up in. I only hope that we do not stall at the last
    >> minute again - a typical kiwi trait over the past few years - "so
    >> close yet so far".
    >>

    > One of the key components that was missing in the past was public
    > outrage by the PM. Since Cabinet acts merely as an advisory body for
    > the PM's final decision, if the PM isn't on-side it doesn't matter
    > how persuasive the arguments are. Now that Helen is on the record as
    > being distinctly unimpressed with progress the likelihood of real
    > action is greater than it's ever been. Still not one, but further
    > from zero than in the past.

    I actually think that something may be done and we (internet connection
    consumers) may benefit from it this time. However, there better be a clause
    in whatever they mandate to stop Telecom dragging it's feet. We all know how
    good it is at that.

    >> As Annette Presley pointed out last year - "One would question why
    >> is the government propping up a foreign owned monopoly and
    >> supporting its control of the NZ market"

    > Largest traded volume and hundreds-of-millions of dollars of taxes is
    > quite a large stick to wave.

    Yeah. About time 'we' stopped being bullied by corporations waving sticks in
    a threatening manner though. So whta if the Telecom share price drops? It
    ain't like it'll put us into a depression of any size. It'll be all gone and
    forgotten in very little time.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2006
  7. Matthew Poole

    Rob J Guest

    In article <NLJLf.154251$>,
    says...

    > "Matthew Poole" <> wrote in message
    > > At least, that's if we can trust Juha's reporting :p
    > >
    > > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/29BFF57CD51A236CCC25711E00732501
    > >
    > > According to that article, the report uses outdated information about
    > > plans from providers overseas and compares them with the as-yet-unreleased
    > > plans that have been announced by Telecom.
    > > It also doesn't compare with anything other than first-gen ADSL
    > > connections - ignoring fibre, wireless, cable, and ADSL2+.
    > >
    > > The report is so inaccurate that 21 out of 30 of the comparison plans have
    > > been superseded or have dropped in price since the data that was used was
    > > gathered.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Matthew Poole
    > > "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    > Excellent article. Many thanks for the link
    >
    > One thing has become apparent - momentum has now gathered. I hope it
    > continues.
    >
    > The Government recognises the issues - there is mounting consumer, media and
    > competitive pressure to act and break this rotten cycle we are caught up in.
    > I only hope that we do not stall at the last minute again - a typical kiwi
    > trait over the past few years - "so close yet so far".
    >
    > As Annette Presley pointed out last year - "One would question why is the
    > government propping up a foreign owned monopoly and supporting its control
    > of the NZ market"

    Ho ho ho
    Telecom is a NZ owned company as by law they have to be.
    The government is not propping them up as Annette Presley claims. Her
    impartiality is suspect as she heads a company which sought to suck
    money out of telecom by exploiting a loophole in their operating
    practices (call termination fees used to subsidise the operation of
    ISPs).

    TelstraClear and Ihug, major players in the Internet market, are both
    foreign owned. Get a perspective for goodness sakes.

    Rob J, Feb 25, 2006
  8. T'was the Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:50:32 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Yeah. About time 'we' stopped being bullied by corporations waving sticks in
    >a threatening manner though. So whta if the Telecom share price drops? It
    >ain't like it'll put us into a depression of any size. It'll be all gone and
    >forgotten in very little time.

    Probably doesn't give confidence to foreign investors.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 25, 2006
  9. On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:43:22 +1300, someone purporting to be Rob J didst
    scrawl:

    > In article <NLJLf.154251$>,
    > says...

    *SNIP*
    > The government is not propping them up as Annette Presley claims. Her
    > impartiality is suspect as she heads a company which sought to suck
    > money out of telecom by exploiting a loophole in their operating
    > practices (call termination fees used to subsidise the operation of
    > ISPs).

    *SNIP*

    Now, hang on a second Rob. You're all for Telecom operating within the
    letter of the law, but heaven forbid that anyone else find a way to
    maltreat Telecom through the letter of one of their contracts. Which is
    it?
    Either it's acceptable for anyone to stick strictly to the letter and
    the spirit be damned, or everyone must stick to both the letter and the
    spirit. Pick a side. A novelty for you, I'm sure, but do, please, try. If
    you want to rail against me for wanting Telecom to play a straight game,
    you cannot then rail against Slingshot for taking advantage of a contract
    that Telecom was party to negotiating.

    Matthew Poole, Feb 25, 2006