    business model, whether or not the naysayers understood it. Yes, there is
    money to be made in software support: there was then, there is now, and
    there probably always will be.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 14, 2010

  2. In message <hv4e6v$31j$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > More from the Linux timeline
    > <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6000?page=0,3>:
    >
    > “'Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse Corp. in Burlington, New Jersey is
    > spending $1 million or so to buy 1,250 Linux-equipped PCs from Dell, but
    > it won't pay Red Hat a dime for support', says Michael Prince, chief
    > information officer. 'I suppose Red Hat's business model makes sense to
    > somebody, but it makes no sense to us', he says.†—Daniel Lyons, Forbes,
    > May 31, 1999. Then in September, Burlington ended up purchasing support
    > from Red Hat.
    >
    > Just goes to show: even back then (1999), it was clear Red Hat had a viable
    > business model, whether or not the naysayers understood it. Yes, there is
    > money to be made in software support: there was then, there is now, and
    > there probably always will be.

    This is a lesson for all you Windows users who are considering
    Linux. You may be used to going into a computer shop, seeing a
    computer with Windows 7 for $750, and knowing that $750 is what
    it is going to cost you.

    The Burlington Coat Factory affair teaches us that Linux is not
    the same. Like the Burlington Coat Factory, you can end up
    paying more that the cost of the computer with Linux.

    Remember that the Linux consultant (like me) needs his payment
    in addition to the computer shop's payment. That is how it was
    then, that is how it is now, and that us how it probably always
    will be.

    Lawrence D'Oublespeak, Jun 20, 2010