The BotBrigade Proposal, Botnet Versus Botnet

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Gregory, Nov 10, 2007.

  1. Gregory

    Gregory Guest

    This is a proposal presenting a solution to mitigate the massive
    criminal controlled botnet infrastructure. A "white hat" botnet
    programmed to DDOS the individual zombie computers of a criminal botnet.

    Several alternate techniques may provide the means to acheive this end.
    Attaching to a project such as HoneyNet provides an existing
    infrastructure to get the project rolling in short order. A competing
    solution would be to create a new project called BotBrigade which mimics
    existing botnet behaviour. The BotBrigade would be a decentralized
    infrstructure, and this method presents the best resilience thus using
    the criminal's tools against the criminal! These computers would share
    the IP addresses culled from victimized hosts, The BotBrigade would
    cross-reference the IP address of a BotBrigade DDOS target (a criminal
    controlled zombie) from at least three different source BotBrigade Traps
    (a computer reporting the IP source address of spam).

    50 BotBrigade zombie computers could cripple the Internet connection of
    one criminal controlled zombie. Let the owner of the criminal controlled
    zombie call their ISP to inquire about the Internet connectivity
    failure. Let that owner clean their computer with appropriate software.
    The DDOS would be sustained for a specific interval, perhaps 24 hours or
    until failure to respond to ICMP requests, to avoid causing problems
    with DHCP leases to uninfected hosts.

    The computer security providers and ISPs demonstrate their inability to
    protect. The initiatives they utilize provide a statistically
    meaningless impact on criminal botnet activity.

    The reasonable people of Internet community can stop the botnet plague!
    Stop the time wasting spam!
    Gregory, Nov 10, 2007

  2. Gregory

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:16:54 -0800, Gregory
    <> wrote:

    >This is a proposal presenting a solution to mitigate the massive
    >criminal controlled botnet infrastructure.

    By creating another waste of resources

    Why not concentrate on fixing the problem by improving
    security and keeping the noise down.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Nov 11, 2007

  3. Gregory

    Gregory Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > By creating another waste of resources

    I propose leveraging underutilized resources. If the resources remain
    underutilized, then the resources waste.

    In practice, reactive security measures fail for consumer class devices.
    In the enterprise, reactive security gain some protection, but will do
    nothing in the coming botnet attacks. Limited time for a proactive
    approach exists to mitigate a cascading Internet interupption for
    everyone due to botnet activity.

    I cite two recent articles. The first outlines a less than efficient
    security scheme presented by a vendor. The failure will be inaction of
    'home' users who tend to ignore moderate reductions in computer
    responsiveness; furthermore, the cooperative nature of the initiative
    will be it's downfall. The second presents the dominant ground held by
    the criminal botnet controllers.

    Computer scientist fights threat of ‘botnets’
    Oct. 31, 2007
    by Brian Mattmiller
    http://www.news.wisc.edu/14380

    The World's Biggest Botnets