The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 1--The First Meeting

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HiBob, May 27, 2008.

  1. HiBob

    HiBob Guest

    genius. Known as "The Image Maker", he is considered to be the most
    accomplished portrait artist of the 20th century. Zimmerman is sought
    after by the world's most celebrated entertainers, dignitaries,
    politicians and influential personalities.

    In 1982, Dick Zimmerman worked with Michael Jackson to create what
    was
    to become the THRILLER album cover.

    The illustruous photographer tells us more about this key moment in
    his career and shares special moments that took place during this
    legendary photo shoot.

    The First Meeting

    "I first met Michael Jackson at a recording studio on Beverly Blvd.
    in
    Hollywood, where he was three quarters of the way through finishing
    what would be the largest selling album in history. CBS records
    indicated that the project was between myself and another very well
    known photographer whose identity was never divulged to me.

    Michael wanted to personally meet both candidates before deciding who
    he wanted to work with on the album package. I know now after having
    worked a substantial amount of time with Michael on other projects
    since, that he needed someone that was at the top of his profession,
    wasn't egotistical, was trustworthy and creative. But most
    importantly
    someone who would treat him with delicacy and consideration, who
    wasn't threatening or offending.

    My first impression of Michael as he slowly and carefully moved
    through the studio doors where our meeting would take place was that
    he was taller and thinner than I had expected. His hand shake was
    very
    delicate with hardly a squeeze, and I was very conscious to return
    the
    same.
    As we talked, Michael would ask me questions in his whispered voice
    about my likes and dislikes. I could tell from the way he poised his
    questions, that in a sly way, I was being highly scrutinized. That's
    when I first realized how important it was to Michael to work with
    the
    exact kind of person that would make him feel comfortable. Our
    meeting
    lasted about twenty minutes and we parted with a cordial good-bye.

    Source:
    http://www.michael-jackson-lyrics.com

    HiBob, May 27, 2008