The BIGGEST Windows PITA, a poll of sorts.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    just "decided" to **** up.

    It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)

    WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    several hours.)

    Choose or offer your "favorite":

    1. Printing ANYTHING
    2. Idiotic defaults
    3. "My Documents"
    4. Other?

    --
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
    Anais Nin

    thanatoid, Jan 27, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns9BA013C3BF873thanexit@209.197.15.184>,
    lid says...
    > I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    > just "decided" to **** up.
    >
    > It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >
    > WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    > several hours.)

    1) Listening to non-technical people complain about things that work
    fine

    2) Seeing compromised computers where the user has read/listened to ways
    to keep it from happening for a decade and still didn't do anything to
    secure their computer

    3) Users telling people that Ubuntu is better or will do everything they
    need when the don't have a clue.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)

    Leythos, Jan 27, 2009

  3. thanatoid

    richard Guest

    On 27 Jan 2009 07:56:29 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    >just "decided" to **** up.
    >
    >It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >
    >WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    >several hours.)
    >
    >Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >
    >1. Printing ANYTHING
    >2. Idiotic defaults
    >3. "My Documents"
    >4. Other?

    1.) Requiring permission to do most simple tasks IOW UAC sucks.
    2.) Windows explorer takes 5 times as long to calculate how much time
    is going to be used than to work with the files.

    3.) Why did the program quit responding? 5 minutes later, duh, we
    don't know why.

    richard, Jan 27, 2009
  4. thanatoid

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On 27 Jan 2009 07:56:29 GMT, thanatoid <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    > >just "decided" to **** up.
    > >
    > >It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    > >
    > >WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    > >several hours.)
    > >
    > >Choose or offer your "favorite":
    > >
    > >1. Printing ANYTHING
    > >2. Idiotic defaults
    > >3. "My Documents"
    > >4. Other?

    > 1.) Requiring permission to do most simple tasks IOW UAC sucks.

    You don't have to use UAC, and this is not unique to Vista.

    Leythos, Jan 27, 2009
  5. thanatoid wrote:
    > I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    > just "decided" to **** up.
    >
    > It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >
    > WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    > several hours.)
    >
    > Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >
    > 1. Printing ANYTHING
    > 2. Idiotic defaults
    > 3. "My Documents"
    > 4. Other?

    Security
    Cost

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 27, 2009
  6. thanatoid

    Shel-hed Guest

    On 27 Jan 2009 07:56:29 GMT, thanatoid <> wrote:

    >4. Other?

    Insecure default settings. With a new install, newbies get infected in less
    than a minute.

    Shel-hed, Jan 27, 2009
  7. thanatoid

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> richard
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >On 27 Jan 2009 07:56:29 GMT, thanatoid <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    >>just "decided" to **** up.
    >>
    >>It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >>
    >>WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    >>several hours.)
    >>
    >>Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >>
    >>1. Printing ANYTHING
    >>2. Idiotic defaults
    >>3. "My Documents"
    >>4. Other?

    >1.) Requiring permission to do most simple tasks IOW UAC sucks.

    Welcome to every modern OS on the planet.

    >2.) Windows explorer takes 5 times as long to calculate how much time
    >is going to be used than to work with the files.

    That simply isn't the case, Explorer is working while it's calculating
    and has right since Vista's initial release.

    >3.) Why did the program quit responding? 5 minutes later, duh, we
    >don't know why.

    huh? What program? What are you babbling about now?

    DevilsPGD, Jan 27, 2009
  8. thanatoid

    catchme Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    > just "decided" to **** up.
    >
    > It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >
    > WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    > several hours.)
    >
    > Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >
    > 1. Printing ANYTHING
    > 2. Idiotic defaults
    > 3. "My Documents"
    > 4. Other?

    the biggest annoyance?
    the feeling one gets when they use it, that it just feels clunky,
    patchwork and requires a lot of diligence to prevent it from falling
    into a complex.
    High-maintenance is an apt description, in more ways than one.
    Inelegant, graceless, artless,.....constantly annoying and wearisome/
    worrisome.
    If Windows were a teenager at its first prom, it would be the one
    wearing a 25 year old blue suit with frills, ascot and cumberbund- and
    no date!
    Don't ask it to dance, because using both left feet at once is too much
    effort, and a kernel panic would be imminent.
    Microsoft....works?

    catchme, Jan 27, 2009
  9. thanatoid

    Viruschecker Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    > just "decided" to **** up.
    >
    > It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >
    > WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    > several hours.)
    >
    > Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >
    > 1. Printing ANYTHING
    > 2. Idiotic defaults
    > 3. "My Documents"
    > 4. Other?

    PEBKAC

    Viruschecker, Jan 27, 2009
  10. thanatoid

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:56:29 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that just
    > "decided" to **** up.
    >
    > It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >
    > WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take several
    > hours.)
    >
    > Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >
    > 1. Printing ANYTHING
    > 2. Idiotic defaults
    > 3. "My Documents"
    > 4. Other?

    4. Having it installed in the first place. Solution: Delete the
    garbage and install Linux.

    Dan C, Jan 27, 2009
  11. thanatoid

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:54:45 -0600, Lookout wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:58:08 -0800, Shel-hed <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 27 Jan 2009 07:56:29 GMT, thanatoid <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>4. Other?

    >>Insecure default settings. With a new install, newbies get infected in
    >>less than a minute.

    > Which, as I pointed out can be fixed with a basic Windows course at your
    > local college.

    Right................. The blind leading the blind. Or is it: The
    stupid following the ignorant?

    Dan C, Jan 27, 2009
  12. Viruschecker wrote:

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    >> just "decided" to **** up.
    >>
    >> It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >>
    >> WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    >> several hours.)
    >>
    >> Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >>
    >> 1. Printing ANYTHING
    >> 2. Idiotic defaults
    >> 3. "My Documents"
    >> 4. Other?
    >>

    > PEBKAC

    Still having not enough faith and courage to refuse repairing fucked-up,
    infested trojanized windows boxen loaded with warez and junk just because
    $LUSER wanted to take best benefit out of his broadband.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 27, 2009
  13. Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:54:45 -0600, Lookout wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:58:08 -0800, Shel-hed <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Insecure default settings. With a new install, newbies get infected in
    >>> less than a minute.

    >> Which, as I pointed out can be fixed with a basic Windows course at your
    >> local college.

    > Right................. The blind leading the blind. Or is it: The
    > stupid following the ignorant?

    Unfortuneately too true. When I brought up the fact that I could change
    the admisitrators passwd on the CS teachers computer from the cmd line
    he was shocked...in XP of course.
    ANd this community college had the insight to teach a course where they
    introduced linux to the students.
    Ok, so it involved playing with a knoppix live cd for a week...

    --
    http://palinpics4truth.t35.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 27, 2009
  14. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:58:08 -0800, Shel-hed
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 27 Jan 2009 07:56:29 GMT, thanatoid
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>4. Other?

    >>Insecure default settings. With a new install, newbies get
    >>infected in less than a minute.

    > Which, as I pointed out can be fixed with a basic Windows
    > course at your local college.

    Yer either smart or stupid. If a "basic course" in anything
    taught you /anything/, we would not be surrounded by such
    rampant ignorance and incompetence in all areas of life.

    And the courses that teach basics of "life systems" (I know
    that's a borrowed and not exactly correct expression to use) are
    not taught anymore.

    That's why even if someone by some miracle HAS heard (I won't
    say LEARNED) how to secure Windows, they'll still either do
    nothing or overdo it or just **** it up. Not to mention MS is
    hard at work making it more and more difficult. Can't wait to
    read what delights Win 7 will offer. Perhaps incompatibility
    with BOTH FAT32 /and/ NTFS. That would be a good one IMO.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  15. thanatoid

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:54:45 -0600, Lookout <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:58:08 -0800, Shel-hed <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Insecure default settings. With a new install, newbies get infected in less
    >>than a minute.

    >Which, as I pointed out can be fixed with a basic Windows course at
    >your local college.

    No, the only courses that would do any good are courses in junior/senior high
    school that are required at over 80% pass to graduate.
    If you don't know how to make a directory or navigate through folders, just stay
    in school until you learn.
    High capacity thumb drives make things better because you can save the service
    packs etc when you wipe the HD, but you are right about L.Users.. They need to
    be able to find them.

    Shel-hed, Jan 28, 2009
  16. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things that
    > just "decided" to **** up.
    >
    > It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >
    > WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would take
    > several hours.)
    >
    > Choose or offer your "favorite":

    None of the above. Those are all fixed by setting things right and knowing
    how to do so.

    1. No manual included for those people who paid $100+ for just a CD and a
    booklet telling them how to use a mouse. Completely insufficient
    documentation.

    2. Startup. The absolute stupidest idea MS has come up with yet.
    Autoexec.bat and config.sys weren't bad when you were only doing one thing
    and you *knew* to wait for the next dos prompt and what those lines *did*
    - because you had the dos manual. Along with them having to be a certain
    size/optomized for there job. VB and 95 killed that completely.

    3. Overides of what should be hard wired security features.

    4. No desktop scroll. If it can't fit in the visible screen you can't do it.
    Absolutely stupid.

    5. No use of a third mouse button built in.

    6. No sure way to shut down the computer safely when you can't bring up
    the start menu. Directx games (post 95) are the most obvious example of
    a case where this is necessary.

    7. No consistency in program settings and not all are either readable or
    easily found - ini files, the registry, whatever joe rebel decided to use
    instead and didn't tell anyone about. A text file with a matching name to
    the application in the root directory of where the program lives. *No*
    where else should even be considered. Protection from deletion of
    files/directories in installed applications is a given here.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 28, 2009
  17. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> I just spent a few pleasant moments fixing a few things
    >> that just "decided" to **** up.
    >>
    >> It inspired me to ask the eternal question... (again)
    >>
    >> WHAT is the BIGGEST Windows annoyance? (Listing all would
    >> take several hours.)
    >>
    >> Choose or offer your "favorite":
    >>

    > None of the above. Those are all fixed by setting things
    > right and knowing how to do so.

    EVERY FUCKING TIME I stop a Windows printing job, or it crashes
    (which it does 50% of the time) I have to reboot the machine and
    "cancel pending", at least once, sometimes more. Yesterday my
    scanner (NO PRINTER IS EVEN CONNECTED TO THE SYSTEM AT ALL)
    stopped working because first "something was using the LPT"
    (!!!!!!) and then a "drvstartscan" would not start !!!!!

    (I /DID/ make the punishable-by-death mistake of printing one
    page to a file. Thank fubar I almost NEVER print anything - my
    first laser cart lasted 8 years).

    STILL, if you can tell me how to eliminate this enjoyable
    Windows feature "by setting things
    right and knowing how to do so", I will be **eternally**
    grateful.

    [98SELite, HPLaserJet6L. Fancy bidirectional cable. I switch the
    scanner plug with the printer plug at the parallel port
    depending on what I do. I thought of getting a parallel-USB
    adapter for the printer, but it probably won't work with 98 and
    I almost never print, as I said. Nor would it fix these printing
    problems which I've had ever since I've been using Windows.]

    > 1. No manual included for those people who paid $100+ for
    > just a CD and a booklet telling them how to use a mouse.
    > Completely insufficient documentation.

    I used to read EVERY SINGLE page of every manual of software I
    was going to use extensively. But no one else I ever met did. I
    agree, the days of getting a hard binder with 300 pages for a 2-
    floppy program are good nostalgia, but practically speaking, it
    was just a waste of trees. No one read manuals and no one reads
    help files - as is amply demonstrated in this group.

    <SNIP>

    > 6. No sure way to shut down the computer safely when you
    > can't bring up the start menu. Directx games (post 95) are
    > the most obvious example of a case where this is necessary.

    I have never had a problem hard-shutting my computers - on
    occasion I have to.

    No registry corruption, no data disappearing, no icons gone,
    etc. NOTHING. Boots up just fine. Maybe I'm just lucky (it would
    be ONE thing I have luck with).

    > 7. No consistency in program settings and not all are
    > either readable or easily found - ini files, the registry,
    > whatever joe rebel decided to use instead and didn't tell
    > anyone about. A text file with a matching name to the
    > application in the root directory of where the program
    > lives. *No* where else should even be considered.
    > Protection from deletion of files/directories in installed
    > applications is a given here.

    I don't use MS programs, just the fucking OS, so I don't know
    how inconsistent THEY are, but MS /did/ publish rules on how
    similar actions should produce similar results in software. Alt-
    N to go to a page in Acrobat and CTL-Shift-G (IIRC) in another
    PDF program to do the same (and thousands of other examples) is
    insane, but that's not MS's fault.

    The hundreds of different combinations for "save file as" is my
    all-time favorite.
    BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  18. thanatoid

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 03:09:50 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >2. Startup. The absolute stupidest idea MS has come up with yet.
    >Autoexec.bat and config.sys weren't bad when you were only doing one thing
    >and you *knew* to wait for the next dos prompt and what those lines *did*
    >- because you had the dos manual. Along with them having to be a certain
    >size/optomized for there

    You mean their?

    >job. VB and 95 killed that completely.

    What's your suggestion as an alternative?

    >5. No use of a third mouse button built in.

    Uhhh what?

    >6. No sure way to shut down the computer safely when you can't bring up
    >the start menu. Directx games (post 95) are the most obvious example of
    >a case where this is necessary.

    Control-Alt-Delete. Choose Shut Down. Not too hard is it.

    You can also create a desktop icon, or shutdown / reboot from a DOS
    prompt (note - DOS is UPPERCASE. It stands for Disk Operating System.

    >7. No consistency in program settings and not all are either readable or
    >easily found - ini files, the registry, whatever joe rebel decided to use
    >instead and didn't tell anyone about. A text file with a matching name to
    >the application in the root directory of where the program lives. *No*
    >where else should even be considered. Protection from deletion of
    >files/directories in installed applications is a given here.

    And this is the fault of programmers, not MS, or anyone else.

    If I wrote a progrom for *nix, and decided to create a .xyz
    configuration file in a binary format and put it in / , is that the
    OS's fault?

    Evan Platt, Jan 28, 2009
  19. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 03:09:50 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >
    >>6. No sure way to shut down the computer safely when you can't bring up
    >>the start menu. Directx games (post 95) are the most obvious example of
    >>a case where this is necessary.

    > Control-Alt-Delete. Choose Shut Down. Not too hard is it.
    >
    > You can also create a desktop icon, or shutdown / reboot from a DOS
    > prompt (note - DOS is UPPERCASE. It stands for Disk Operating System.

    Or you can hit the Flag key and when the Menu appears hold down the "ALT"
    key and select "Close" from the dropdown that will appear. You can then
    select from "Hibernate", " "Standby", "Turn Off" and "Restart" or type the
    letter "u" which will shut down the machine. KM
    --
    (-:alohacyberian:) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
    visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

    Alohacyberian, Jan 28, 2009
  20. thanatoid

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Xns9BA0E1BAF5204thanexit@209.197.15.184>,
    lid says...
    > EVERY [removed] TIME I stop a Windows printing job, or it crashes
    > (which it does 50% of the time) I have to reboot the machine and
    > "cancel pending", at least once, sometimes more. Yesterday my
    > scanner (NO PRINTER IS EVEN CONNECTED TO THE SYSTEM AT ALL)
    > stopped working because first "something was using the LPT"
    > (!!!!!!) and then a "drvstartscan" would not start !!!!!

    Seem like you are using crappy printers/drivers or just have a crappy
    installation.

    I have 45 printers connected to my network, some of our clients have
    more than 100 printers, never see a single problem with printing.

    Leythos, Jan 28, 2009