The best digicam

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Johnson, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Mark Johnson

    Mark Johnson Guest

    The best features on a digicam?

    Roughly $500 price point

    Portable, lightweight, all metal construction

    10MP sensor, low noise at high sensitivity

    Quickly interchangable lenses, body interior not exposed to elements

    Long battery life

    Flash settings, detachment and repositioning, flood, macro, etc.

    Instant, accurate auto-focus

    Manual focus ring

    Speed and shutter manually controlled, in addition to auto-setting

    Stabilized zoom external lens - extra cost

    Quick storage, buffered rapid shot

    RAW mode, and almost instantaneous storage of RAW

    LCD composition of shot and review

    Auto-bracket, even for RAW, shot almost at the same instant

    Water/elements housing - extra cost

    Extra lens kit:

    The stabilized zoom

    Panorama/WA lens

    Shift lens attachment

    Split focus attachment

    Macro lens

    necessary adapters

    around $300-400

    And so on.

    I realize many cameras share a lot of these features. But small,
    lightweight, but rugged construction, doesn't necessarily define a
    dSLR, nor would through the LCD viewing. I don't know of any with such
    a versatile high-power bounce and detach flash built in. The price is
    low, by early 2004 standards. But it might not always be. I'm sure I
    left some things out, as well.

    Mark Johnson, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Mark Johnson

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "?" <?@?.?> wrote:

    You don't want people to know who you are?

    >I believe you did leave out one important item. It should fit in ones shirt
    >pocket. Dream on

    Can't be done, huh? Losing project? Not EVENNnnn possible? Can never
    be done?

    It doesn't have to fit in a shirt pocket. Coats have pockets, too.

    Peace.

    Mark Johnson, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Mark Johnson

    ? Guest

    I believe you did leave out one important item. It should fit in ones shirt
    pocket. Dream on, have you seen a real drop in the price of a Nikon 5700
    into the area you are talking about. Look back at the SLR market of just a
    few years ago prior to the advent of the digital cmaera with 3,4, and 5
    megapixels. The stabilized at a price point and stayed that way for years.
    We are close to that in the prosumer digital cameras now. There will always
    be a market for the lower end of things to go down, but not the cameras that
    will sell to the advanced amature.

    Just my opinion!

    ?, Jan 16, 2004