The best anti-spyware program?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by John, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I've had a few different freeware anti-spyware programs on my system
    over the last few years. I currently have Spyware Doctor, but often
    use other ones as well in case that ones misses anything, or there is
    the odd thing it can't get rid of.

    My question though is; what is the best program you can pay to buy for
    getting rid of spyware? What is the number one program?

    I took a look at the following site I found via Google:

    http://www.defeatspyware.org/

    And they seem to think that a program called SpywareDetector is the
    best. When I go to the www.spywaredetector.us site though it is very
    strange how the design of the site looks remarkably similar so that
    makes me think there is a connection between the two sites and
    question whether this is the best program or not? Maybe it is, but if
    the original site is not impartial shouldn't they state that?

    If it is the best I'd probably buy it unless anyone else in the group
    can recommend other programs to take a look at?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Feb 25, 2006

  2. John

    shplink Guest

    John wrote:
    > I've had a few different freeware anti-spyware programs on my system
    > over the last few years. I currently have Spyware Doctor, but often
    > use other ones as well in case that ones misses anything, or there is
    > the odd thing it can't get rid of.
    >
    > My question though is; what is the best program you can pay to buy for
    > getting rid of spyware? What is the number one program?
    >
    > I took a look at the following site I found via Google:
    >
    > http://www.defeatspyware.org/
    >
    > And they seem to think that a program called SpywareDetector is the
    > best. When I go to the www.spywaredetector.us site though it is very
    > strange how the design of the site looks remarkably similar so that
    > makes me think there is a connection between the two sites and
    > question whether this is the best program or not? Maybe it is, but if
    > the original site is not impartial shouldn't they state that?
    >
    > If it is the best I'd probably buy it unless anyone else in the group
    > can recommend other programs to take a look at?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    Hey John,
    You might want to consider the free stuff first. In my experience it's
    the best, so far anyway. Check out the links (Appendix) in our FAQ below
    my signature.

    --
    the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ:
    http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm

    shplink, Feb 25, 2006

  3. From: "John" <>

    | I've had a few different freeware anti-spyware programs on my system
    | over the last few years. I currently have Spyware Doctor, but often
    | use other ones as well in case that ones misses anything, or there is
    | the odd thing it can't get rid of.
    |
    | My question though is; what is the best program you can pay to buy for
    | getting rid of spyware? What is the number one program?
    |
    | I took a look at the following site I found via Google:
    |
    | http://www.defeatspyware.org/
    |
    | And they seem to think that a program called SpywareDetector is the
    | best. When I go to the www.spywaredetector.us site though it is very
    | strange how the design of the site looks remarkably similar so that
    | makes me think there is a connection between the two sites and
    | question whether this is the best program or not? Maybe it is, but if
    | the original site is not impartial shouldn't they state that?
    |
    | If it is the best I'd probably buy it unless anyone else in the group
    | can recommend other programs to take a look at?
    |
    | Cheers
    |
    | John

    Is not a good reference !!

    Software listed on http://www.defeatspyware.org/ are presently listed as Rogue applications
    on SpywareWarrior or have been lifted from the Rogue list.

    Please check with Spyware Warrior for ALL anti spyware applications !

    Note: XoftSpy was listed as a Rogue application but based upon many News Group posts I have
    read, I would say that pulling it off the Rogue list was a hasty decision by Spyware
    Warrior.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Feb 25, 2006
  4. John

    Quilljar Guest

    The 'best' is almost impossible to define. However I have bought and used
    Counterspy for about six months now, and find it extremely effective and the
    support, newsletter and follow up is personal and excellent.

    Yrs Quilljar

    Quilljar, Feb 25, 2006
  5. John

    Jbob Guest

    I think the term "Spyware" has just about reached the end of useful life.
    It all really started as Adware and then sometime after the term Spyware was
    added to the mix to help describe things like tracking cookies and a few
    other "spying" like features. Thus became known the anti-Adware/Spyware
    apps. We've has computer viruses back since the early 90's. From them were
    born other sorts of nasties. Keyloggers, etc. What is a Trojan? A Worm?
    Any of these can spy on you and could also be considered Spyware. Many of
    todays "Freeware" Anti-Spyware apps simply are not capable of detecting the
    wide variety of today's "Spyware." Even Kaspersky seems to think there is
    no such thing as spyware: http://usa.kaspersky.com/threats/spyware.php
    While the Spywarewarrior site rating the Anti-Spyware apps mentioned in
    another post is still quite good it is now over a year old. Much has
    changed in the industry.

    Much of it has all been blurred now because there is so much of it out
    there. Perhaps a more correct term should me "Malware." For a period most
    AV apps were not considered good at detecting Trojans. For those you needed
    a dedicated AT application like TDS-3, BOClean, Trojan Hunter or others.
    Many of the better AV vendors are now checking for more Trojan like
    activity. Some are even adding more of what they call "Anti-Spyware"
    checking as well. Even BOClean, known as a VERY good AT, is also a VERYgood
    Anti-Spyware app in it's own right. Depending on ones view point a good
    Anti-Trojan app could be considered more of an Anti-Spyware than todays
    dedicated Anti-Spyware apps.

    Some people like the MS anti-spyware app which just now was released to Beta
    2 and renamed as Windows Defender however both these apps while considered
    good AS apps don't even come close to catching the Trojans. They are good
    at monitoing system changes.

    Here are some good links to some Polls for preferred apps being used taken
    on DSLreports.com:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15407882 AS Poll
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15502317 AT Poll

    It is really hard to decide a true "BEST" application. I myself wouldn't be
    without BOClean. It is simply one of the best preventative tools out there.
    It is an not an AV though. Even when the Sony rootkit stuff first was
    published BOC already had it covered several weeks before. The WMF exploit
    was coverd way in advance of it's release as well while all the AV vendors
    were left scrambling. Another example of a great app is Kaspersky AV. Not
    only is it argueably the best AV app but with it's extended databases it is
    a great AT/AS application as well. Ewido is also a VERY capable AS app.
    It is not an AV app however it does have fairly good AT qualities but I just
    don't think as good as BOClean. Ewido can be run for active scanning(paid
    version) or used for On Demand scanning(free).

    My personal preference is to look at Trojans, Worms, etc as the worst
    nasties out there now and go from there with my protection scheme. By
    running BOC I have taken care of probably any Trojan infection as well as
    any Spyware infections. Viruses come second. I still use the freeware to
    take care of the little things like cookies, etc.

    This is so subjective as to what you wish to spend and how much you wanna
    run in the background for active scanning.

    Jbob, Feb 25, 2006
  6. John

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi John - You'll find some guidance relative to anti-spyware approaches -
    both preventive and needed to "clean things up" in my Blog, Defending Your
    Machine, addy below in my signature. Please take particular note of the
    cautions about checking out any anti-spyware package being considered to
    verify its efficacy and legitimacy prior to any use/purchase. Experience
    seems to show that more than one anti-spyware approach seems to be needed -
    some programs tend to be better at some things than at others. From my
    Blog:

    Run the following programs regularly; I recommend at least once a week or
    immediately if you suspect that you've been infected. And MOST IMPORTANTLY,
    if possible download a fresh copy for each use of the spyware tools below
    for which this is specified and ALWAYS UPDATE ALL of them.

    WARNING: There are a lot of purported anti-malware commercial products
    available attempting to get your hard earned cash. Many of these are
    "Rogue/Suspect" which means that "these products are of unknown,
    questionable, or dubious value as anti-spyware protection." Eric Howes
    maintains a list of these here:
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products. To quote him:
    "Some of the products listed on this page simply do not provide proven,
    reliable anti-spyware protection or may be prone to ridiculous false
    positives. Others may use unfair, deceptive, high pressure sales tactics to
    scare up sales from gullible, confused users. A very few of these products
    are either associated with known distributors of spyware/adware or have been
    known to install spyware/adware themselves." This site also maintains a
    feature comparison list for the better known anti-spyware products, both
    free and paid here: http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm as well as a
    list of "trustworthy" products here:
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#trustworthy. I highly
    recommend this site.

    All of the software mentioned in this Blog is free.

    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    http://DefendingYourMachine.blogspot.com/

    Jim Byrd, Feb 26, 2006