The beginning of the end for compact P&S digicams?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Oct 15, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Oct 15, 2010

  2. David J Taylor, Oct 16, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Superzooms Still Win <> wrote:

    > >Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
    > >13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
    > >
    > >http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36034/panasonic-lumix-phone-first-pics

    > I have no need for a cell phone, ever. No, it's not the end for P&S
    > digicams. Only in your psychotic imagination might that be true.
    >
    > Are you going to go out and buy a microwave oven that needs an expensive
    > monthly service-contract to make it functional because you want a clock?

    Well, to be honest - there are an order of magnitude more people that
    use a cell phone than have a P&S camera. So the comparison is
    off-balance.

    So chances are that you already own a microwave oven with an expensive
    monthly service contract and you DON'T own a clock - and when it's
    time to get a new oven, you might as well get one with a clock :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 16, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <i9bgt0$9cj$-september.org>,
    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    > > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
    > > 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
    > >
    > > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36034/panasonic-lumix-phone-first-pics

    > Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
    > affordable box does all you need?

    iPhone it is :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 16, 2010
  5. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    "N" <> wrote:

    > "Sandman" wrote in message
    >

    > Well, to be honest - there are an order of magnitude more people that
    > use a cell phone than have a P&S camera. So the comparison is
    > off-balance.
    >
    > So chances are that you already own a microwave oven with an expensive
    > monthly service contract and you DON'T own a clock - and when it's
    > time to get a new oven, you might as well get one with a clock :)
    > ======================================
    >
    > Where do you live that you need a monthly service contract on a microwave
    > oven?

    That was his example, not mine :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 16, 2010
  6. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    "N" <> wrote:

    > > > Where do you live that you need a monthly service contract on a microwave
    > > > oven?

    > > That was his example, not mine :)

    > It looked to me as though you were confirming such things.

    Unfortunately, that was incorrect. I merely corrected his example to
    illustrate the balance between the two scenarios.

    You're welcome!

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 16, 2010
  7. "N" <> wrote in message
    > "David J Taylor" wrote in message
    >
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >> Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
    >> 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
    >>
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36034/panasonic-lumix-phone-first-pics

    > Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if
    > one
    > affordable box does all you need?
    >
    > David
    > =========================
    >
    > And when the battery is flat you have absolutely nothing.

    Accepted, but power required by these devices is coming down all the time,
    and battery capacity is improving. Example, the 10-hour life now seen
    with the iPad.

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 16, 2010
  8. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    "N" <> wrote:

    > "David J Taylor" wrote in message
    >
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
    > > 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
    > >
    > > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36034/panasonic-lumix-phone-first-pics

    > Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
    > affordable box does all you need?
    >
    > David
    > =========================
    >
    > And when the battery is flat you have absolutely nothing.

    Well, the nuisance of always having to keep X number of gadgets fully
    charged for when and if they might suddenly be needed is equally
    problematic, either way.

    A few years back me and my wife went on a road trip up north, with me
    in the car was these gadgets:

    1. Nokia N95
    for phone and internet
    2. Nokia N800
    for surfing the web
    3. Palm Pilot
    for my calendar and organizing
    4. iPod
    for listening to music
    5. Sony PSP
    for playing games
    6. Tom Tom GPS
    for navigation
    7. Canon IXUS
    for photography

    That's seven devices that all needed to be charged individually. When
    I go on a road trip today, I bring these devices:

    1. iPhone
    for phone, internet, surfing, calendar, organizing, music, games
    navigation and photography

    While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
    IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
    keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
    situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
    priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
    regards to music or playing games - for instance. :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 16, 2010
  9. Bruce

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <i9bgt0$9cj$-september.org>, david-
    lid says...

    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which incorporates a
    > > 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:
    > >
    > > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36034/panasonic-lumix-phone-first-pics

    > Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser, if one
    > affordable box does all you need?

    Ultimately it's all moving toward a universal information device.
    Recording it, communicating, analyzing it, all in the same hand-held.

    Pity Sony got out of the PDA business when they did--their Clie NX
    series was getting very close to being there--mainly just lacked the
    phone.
    J. Clarke, Oct 16, 2010
  10. Bruce

    MC Guest

    Sandman wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "N" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "David J Taylor" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > > > Panasonic has unveiled a LUMIX branded cell phone which
    > > > incorporates a 13 MP camera with a zoom lens:

    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36034/panasonic-lumix-phone-first-pics

    > > Why carry a mobile phone, and a camera, and a GPS and an organiser,
    > > if one affordable box does all you need?
    > >
    > > David
    > > =========================
    > >
    > > And when the battery is flat you have absolutely nothing.

    > Well, the nuisance of always having to keep X number of gadgets fully
    > charged for when and if they might suddenly be needed is equally
    > problematic, either way.
    >
    > A few years back me and my wife went on a road trip up north, with me
    > in the car was these gadgets:
    >
    > 1. Nokia N95
    > for phone and internet
    > 2. Nokia N800
    > for surfing the web
    > 3. Palm Pilot
    > for my calendar and organizing
    > 4. iPod
    > for listening to music
    > 5. Sony PSP
    > for playing games
    > 6. Tom Tom GPS
    > for navigation
    > 7. Canon IXUS
    > for photography
    >
    > That's seven devices that all needed to be charged individually. When
    > I go on a road trip today, I bring these devices:
    >
    > 1. iPhone
    > for phone, internet, surfing, calendar, organizing, music, games
    > navigation and photography
    >

    > While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
    > IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
    > keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
    > situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
    > priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
    > regards to music or playing games - for instance. :)

    Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
    side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
    even a cheap one.
    The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.
    My cameras and games machines are not. The Sat Nav can also be a hit
    or miss on the iPhone.

    Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
    individaul "built for purpose devices". When they do, and at an
    acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
    However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
    for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

    MC
    MC, Oct 16, 2010
  11. On 10/16/10 PDT 8:17 AM, MC wrote:

    >> While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
    >> IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
    >> keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
    >> situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
    >> priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
    >> regards to music or playing games - for instance. :)

    > Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
    > side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
    > even a cheap one.
    > The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.
    > My cameras and games machines are not. The Sat Nav can also be a hit
    > or miss on the iPhone.
    >
    > Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
    > individaul "built for purpose devices". When they do, and at an
    > acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
    > However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
    > for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

    Your ignorance of the iPhone is telling.

    However, be sure to haul your 250 watt stereo and $3000 speakers to the
    camp site....

    --
    john mcwilliams

    "The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You
    trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act.
    You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There
    can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution,
    on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first."
    -Jim Morrison
    John McWilliams, Oct 16, 2010
  12. Bruce

    MC Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:

    > On 10/16/10 PDT 8:17 AM, MC wrote:
    > >

    > > > While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
    > > > IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would
    > > > always keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices
    > > > and a situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would
    > > > get priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded
    > > > with regards to music or playing games - for instance. :)

    > > Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
    > > side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
    > > even a cheap one.
    > > The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive
    > > contracts. My cameras and games machines are not. The Sat Nav can
    > > also be a hit or miss on the iPhone.
    > >
    > > Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
    > > individaul "built for purpose devices". When they do, and at an
    > > acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
    > > However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being
    > > around for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

    > Your ignorance of the iPhone is telling.

    I think not.

    MC
    MC, Oct 16, 2010
  13. Bruce

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:38:52 +1100, "N" <> wrote:

    >"Sandman" wrote in message
    >

    >Well, to be honest - there are an order of magnitude more people that
    >use a cell phone than have a P&S camera. So the comparison is
    >off-balance.
    >
    >So chances are that you already own a microwave oven with an expensive
    >monthly service contract and you DON'T own a clock - and when it's
    >time to get a new oven, you might as well get one with a clock :)
    >======================================
    >
    >Where do you live that you need a monthly service contract on a microwave
    >oven?

    Anywhere the power company sends you a monthly bill.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 17, 2010
  14. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    "MC" <> wrote:

    > > 1. iPhone
    > > for phone, internet, surfing, calendar, organizing, music, games
    > > navigation and photography
    > >

    > > While it's true that the iPhone can't keep a charge as long as the
    > > IXUS, the one single device from the upper list that I would always
    > > keep charged would be my cell phone. So with seven devices and a
    > > situation where you'd be pressed for time, the phone would get
    > > priority in the charge queue, which might leave you stranded with
    > > regards to music or playing games - for instance. :)

    > Ah yes but the iPhone is not great at ALL those things. The camera
    > side of the iPhone is appalling copmared to a purpose built camera,
    > even a cheap one.

    I obviously disagree. The iPhone is a lot better than my Canon IXUS.
    Handles light conditions better. The IXUS flash is a disaster, and the
    iPhone flash is only so-so.

    > The iPhone is also overprices and also tied with expensive contracts.

    I don't have an "expensive contract" and no ties with my iPhone. It
    costs to make phone calls and surf the web, but that's not exclusive
    to the iPhone :)

    > My cameras and games machines are not.

    My P&S camera is built in - that does not make them tied to a contract.

    > The Sat Nav can also be a hit or miss on the iPhone.

    It's always hit here.

    > Technology has not yet made an "all in one device" as good as the
    > individaul "built for purpose devices".

    Sure, but the next to perfect one device outweighs the hassle of
    several devices these days. :)

    > When they do, and at an
    > acceptable price, then maybe there will be an argument for them.
    > However, I can see "purpose built" single purpose devices being around
    > for some time yet. This is especially true for the camera.

    Don't get me wrong - my Nikon D3S isn't being replaced by my iPhone
    any day soon. But the subject was P&S cameras.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Oct 17, 2010