The bad side of DRM

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    (Is there any good side?)

    Over dinner last night, a friend was saying she wanted to sent a DVD to
    promote NZ to her friends in France, so she'd just sent them a copy of
    Whale Rider on DVD for Christmas. What could be easier?

    Nice idea; but unappreciated, since France is in a different region to
    NZ, the DVD didn't play.

    Seems sending a present like this is a reasonable thing to do, to me,
    but apparently not to the media industry. Result is several lost sales
    of Whale Rider as presents to those overseas, as none of the other
    french friends will be getting a similar present.

    The stupidity of this is, it is actually easier to work around this
    illegally, if you have a small amount of technical clues.

    The good thing about it is, that it has made both this friend, and her
    friends, and the other guests at dinner more aware of the stupidity of
    the media industry.
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 2, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. -=rjh=-

    steve Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > The stupidity of this is, it is actually easier to work around this
    > illegally, if you have a small amount of technical clues.
    >
    > The good thing about it is, that it has made both this friend, and her
    > friends, and the other guests at dinner more aware of the stupidity of
    > the media industry.


    True.

    Where the market fails to deliver what people want and instead attempts to
    dictate to customers, the customers will redress the imbalance.

    Customers outnumber vendors in the case by millions to one.....
     
    steve, Jan 2, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. -=rjh=-

    nick Guest

    region encoding is well known. your friend should have had the dvd's
    sent via amazon, 5 quid at amazon.co.uk is pretty cheap.
     
    nick, Jan 2, 2006
    #3
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    nick wrote:
    > region encoding is well known.


    You know about it, I know about it, and probably everyone here knows
    about it.

    But I was the only one at the table that knew about it. I'd say that out
    in the less tech aware world, people don't know about region encoding,
    they think DVDs are no different to VHS and CDs. But they sure think it
    is stupid once they know about it.

    your friend should have had the dvd's
    > sent via amazon, 5 quid at amazon.co.uk is pretty cheap.
    >


    Good suggestion, maybe next time.

    However, as a present, it is nicer to have a personal note or Christmas
    card included, don't you think? And why should we have to jump through
    hoops at the media industries whim?
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 2, 2006
    #4
  5. -=rjh=-

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > nick wrote:
    > > region encoding is well known.

    >
    > You know about it, I know about it, and probably everyone here knows
    > about it.
    >
    > But I was the only one at the table that knew about it. I'd say that out
    > in the less tech aware world, people don't know about region encoding,
    > they think DVDs are no different to VHS and CDs. But they sure think it
    > is stupid once they know about it.
    >
    > your friend should have had the dvd's
    > > sent via amazon, 5 quid at amazon.co.uk is pretty cheap.
    > >

    >
    > Good suggestion, maybe next time.
    >
    > However, as a present, it is nicer to have a personal note or Christmas
    > card included, don't you think? And why should we have to jump through
    > hoops at the media industries whim?


    That;s your choice if you choose to buy it, you could have ripped your
    own copies.
     
    Rob J, Jan 2, 2006
    #5
  6. -=rjh=-

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:03:30 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >(Is there any good side?)
    >
    >Over dinner last night, a friend was saying she wanted to sent a DVD to
    >promote NZ to her friends in France, so she'd just sent them a copy of
    >Whale Rider on DVD for Christmas. What could be easier?
    >
    >Nice idea; but unappreciated, since France is in a different region to
    >NZ, the DVD didn't play.
    >
    >Seems sending a present like this is a reasonable thing to do, to me,
    >but apparently not to the media industry. Result is several lost sales
    >of Whale Rider as presents to those overseas, as none of the other
    >french friends will be getting a similar present.
    >
    >The stupidity of this is, it is actually easier to work around this
    >illegally, if you have a small amount of technical clues.
    >
    >The good thing about it is, that it has made both this friend, and her
    >friends, and the other guests at dinner more aware of the stupidity of
    >the media industry.


    Many DVD players can be made region-free if you knew the exact model.
     
    GraB, Jan 2, 2006
    #6
  7. -=rjh=-

    Robert Cooze Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > nick wrote:
    >
    >> region encoding is well known.

    >
    >
    > You know about it, I know about it, and probably everyone here knows
    > about it.
    >
    > But I was the only one at the table that knew about it. I'd say that out
    > in the less tech aware world, people don't know about region encoding,
    > they think DVDs are no different to VHS and CDs. But they sure think it
    > is stupid once they know about it.
    >


    Tell me about it. Even worce I make VCD's and SVCD's from my Cam corder.
    hasnet been a problem till now. Nephew got a remot for the Xbox so he
    could play DVD's (stock) now rellys blamed my disks not the Xbox. My New
    years resolution Is to not Moly coldle or do teck support this year.

    > your friend should have had the dvd's
    >
    >> sent via amazon, 5 quid at amazon.co.uk is pretty cheap.
    >>

    >
    > Good suggestion, maybe next time.
    >
    > However, as a present, it is nicer to have a personal note or Christmas
    > card included, don't you think? And why should we have to jump through
    > hoops at the media industries whim?
    >


    But the point is Wale rider from NZ from NZer's would have been a
    trippin pressent to our overseas frends and rellys. I am not saying DRM
    doesnot have a place. but I think even the zone control is realy bad in
    this cace. But as stated In NZ home of the cheep and nasty all the cheep
    DVD players semm to be zone free. Prehaps in the civilised world the
    cheepies arn't arround or are zoned.

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
     
    Robert Cooze, Jan 2, 2006
    #7
  8. "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> nick wrote:
    >>
    >>> region encoding is well known.

    >>
    >>
    >> You know about it, I know about it, and probably everyone here knows
    >> about it.
    >>
    >> But I was the only one at the table that knew about it. I'd say that out
    >> in the less tech aware world, people don't know about region encoding,
    >> they think DVDs are no different to VHS and CDs. But they sure think it
    >> is stupid once they know about it.
    >>

    >
    > Tell me about it. Even worce I make VCD's and SVCD's from my Cam corder.
    > hasnet been a problem till now. Nephew got a remot for the Xbox so he
    > could play DVD's (stock) now rellys blamed my disks not the Xbox. My New
    > years resolution Is to not Moly coldle or do teck support this year.
    >
    >> your friend should have had the dvd's
    >>
    >>> sent via amazon, 5 quid at amazon.co.uk is pretty cheap.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Good suggestion, maybe next time.
    >>
    >> However, as a present, it is nicer to have a personal note or Christmas
    >> card included, don't you think? And why should we have to jump through
    >> hoops at the media industries whim?
    >>

    >
    > But the point is Wale rider from NZ from NZer's would have been a trippin
    > pressent to our overseas frends and rellys. I am not saying DRM doesnot
    > have a place. but I think even the zone control is realy bad in this cace.
    > But as stated In NZ home of the cheep and nasty all the cheep DVD players
    > semm to be zone free. Prehaps in the civilised world the cheepies arn't
    > arround or are zoned.
    >



    hmm, i send goodbye porkpie to a friend in a small scandinavian country - I
    seriously doubt you can get this movie in his country and I could not send
    from amazon uk because they charge import duty on stuff direct from online
    merchants. That would suck - a xmas present that you must pay 24.5% to
    collect from the local postie.

    now, he will either need to rip the dvd using dvd decrypter, or, find out
    how to multizone his dvd player. That totally sucks.
     
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 2, 2006
    #8
  9. -=rjh=-

    Guest

    Isn't it ironic how this sort of thing encourages piracy? Someone who
    wouldn't normally copy a DVD needs to do so in order to play it in a
    different zone!

    Likewise, someone who would rather buy an original may be tempted to
    buy a bootleg copy because it's region-free.....
     
    , Jan 3, 2006
    #9
  10. -=rjh=-

    Edmond Lo Guest

    Allow me to share my experience with another form of DRM. Last year I
    legally pay for a song on an Music site. The file was downloaded as wma
    format. I guess no problem as I can convert it to mp3 format. And having 3
    mp3 players I suppose at least one will be able to play it. Well bad
    mistake.

    I can't convert the wma file as it is protected by DRM. I can't burn it onto
    audio CD as it is protected by DRM. So I went and buy a cheap mp3 player
    that support wma file, but can't play it as the player doesn't support DRM
    protection.

    The only way I can play the song is on my PC.
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!


    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    news:43b8e002$...
    > (Is there any good side?)
    >
    > Over dinner last night, a friend was saying she wanted to sent a DVD to
    > promote NZ to her friends in France, so she'd just sent them a copy of
    > Whale Rider on DVD for Christmas. What could be easier?
    >
    > Nice idea; but unappreciated, since France is in a different region to NZ,
    > the DVD didn't play.
    >
    > Seems sending a present like this is a reasonable thing to do, to me, but
    > apparently not to the media industry. Result is several lost sales of
    > Whale Rider as presents to those overseas, as none of the other french
    > friends will be getting a similar present.
    >
    > The stupidity of this is, it is actually easier to work around this
    > illegally, if you have a small amount of technical clues.
    >
    > The good thing about it is, that it has made both this friend, and her
    > friends, and the other guests at dinner more aware of the stupidity of the
    > media industry.
     
    Edmond Lo, Jan 3, 2006
    #10
  11. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:53:54 +1300, Edmond Lo wrote:

    > Allow me to share my experience with another form of DRM. Last year I
    > legally pay for a

    <snip>

    "... legally PAID ..."

    What you bought last year you PAID for - not PAY for!

    Please get your tenses correct.

    Nothing worse than chinglish. "He walk three dog yesterday"

    Grrrrr!

    Get it right!!


    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "Simply opening the wrong Web page or receiving an e-mail with an errant
    image file could be enough to cripple your computer, thanks to a newly
    discovered vulnerability in the Microsoft Windows operating systems."
     
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
    #11
  12. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:53:54 +1300, Edmond Lo wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Allow me to share my experience with another form of DRM. Last year I
    >>legally pay for a

    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > "... legally PAID ..."
    >
    > What you bought last year you PAID for - not PAY for!
    >
    > Please get your tenses correct.
    >
    > Nothing worse than chinglish. "He walk three dog yesterday"
    >
    > Grrrrr!
    >
    > Get it right!!


    That's pretty offensive - and uncalled for. That is Edmund's first post
    in this ng, and you treat him like that. Reprehensible.

    How many languages do you speak or write - and do you never make a
    mistake in any of them? And why not mention my own spelling mistake in
    my original post, or did you miss that? Or are you deliberately being
    selective here?

    I had no problem understanding what was meant, so why not go back to
    your continuous, boring, Windows bashing so we can pretty much ignore
    you and get on with what *we* want to talk about?
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 3, 2006
    #12
  13. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:06:31 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > That's pretty offensive - and uncalled for.


    Tough!

    He should learn to speak English as it be spoken. Not Chinglish.


    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "President Bush is NOT the only stupid person in America, There are
    plenty to choose from"
     
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
    #13
  14. -=rjh=-

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:06:31 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> That's pretty offensive - and uncalled for.

    >
    > Tough!
    >
    > He should learn to speak English as it be spoken. Not Chinglish.
    >
    >
    > Undeniably Sluttish
    >

    What a load of bollocks US. This (or any) NG is hardly the place
    for correct spelling, tense or grammar. As long as the _intent_
    of the post is understood it is OK by me.

    Seems to me you may have racism issues. Either that or you'd call
    me on grammar and spelling all the time. And you never have.
     
    ChrisOD, Jan 3, 2006
    #14
  15. -=rjh=-

    Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    > He should learn to speak English as it be spoken.


    Is this an attempt at humour?
     
    , Jan 3, 2006
    #15
  16. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:01:57 +1300, ChrisOD wrote:

    > Seems to me you may have racism issues. Either that or you'd call
    > me on grammar and spelling all the time. And you never have.


    Perhaps that is because I don't actually read many of your posts.

    And no - I am not racist. But I expect the English tongue to be spoken
    correctly.

    The orignal poster will be better of if he abandoned his use of Chinglish
    and adopted gramatically correct English in spoken and written form.


    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "Simply opening the wrong Web page or receiving an e-mail with an errant
    image file could be enough to cripple your computer, thanks to a newly
    discovered vulnerability in the Microsoft Windows operating systems."
     
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
    #16
  17. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:01:57 +1300, ChrisOD wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Seems to me you may have racism issues. Either that or you'd call
    >>me on grammar and spelling all the time. And you never have.

    >
    >
    > Perhaps that is because I don't actually read many of your posts.


    Some people have all the luck.

    >
    > And no - I am not racist. But I expect the English tongue to be spoken
    > correctly.
    >
    > The orignal poster will be better of if he abandoned his use of Chinglish
    > and adopted gramatically correct English in spoken and written form.


    Sure, the OP should take advice from someone who can't even spell
    correctly - while they are giving said advice! AND - I assume - correct
    me if I'm wrong, that english is your first, probably only, language?

    Seems very arrogant and unfriendly to me; and this is only the 3rd day
    of 2006 - great way to start the year.
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 3, 2006
    #17
  18. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    >> He should learn to speak English as it be spoken.

    >
    > Is this an attempt at humour?


    Nah, it's redneck talk, sorta like "Chinglish", only for bigoted people who
    can't write their native language properly.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2006
    #18
  19. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:36:32 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Seems very arrogant and unfriendly to me; and this is only the 3rd day
    > of 2006 - great way to start the year.


    He here welcome to post - as is all person.

    Do that suit you prefering hideous Chinglish?


    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "Simply opening the wrong Web page or receiving an e-mail with an errant
    image file could be enough to cripple your computer, thanks to a newly
    discovered vulnerability in the Microsoft Windows operating systems."
     
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
    #19
  20. -=rjh=-

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:52:52 +1300, Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:36:32 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Seems very arrogant and unfriendly to me; and this is only the 3rd day
    >> of 2006 - great way to start the year.

    >
    > He here welcome to post - as is all person.
    >
    > Do that suit you prefering hideous Chinglish?
    >
    >
    > Undeniably Sluttish


    Why is it necessary for you to mock those who may not
    count English as their first language?

    Maybe you forgot to check which NG this is?
     
    Murray Symon, Jan 3, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    693
    Walter Roberson
    Dec 15, 2004
  2. TRUE

    Help. Windows Explorer side-by-side window

    TRUE, May 10, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    815
    °Mike°
    May 10, 2004
  3. Eric
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    676
    Toolman Tim
    Jul 28, 2005
  4. R2D2

    G5 vs G3 Side-by-side Pics

    R2D2, Feb 10, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    453
    Guenter Fieblinger
    Feb 10, 2004
  5. Vlvetmorning98

    "east side, west side" (TV series)

    Vlvetmorning98, Jan 14, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    617
    jayembee
    Jan 14, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page