  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?
    JohnO, Apr 1, 2009

  2. JohnO

    steve Guest

    On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:

    > So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

    ( Like your timezone?? )

    There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
    Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
    and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.

    It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
    all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
    there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
    anything else?).

    This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

    My $0.02,

    Steve
    steve, Apr 1, 2009

  3. JohnO

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Apr 2, 11:34 am, steve <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
    > > So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

    > ( Like your timezone?? )
    >
    > There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
    > Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
    > and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
    >
    > It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
    > all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
    > there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
    > anything else?).
    >
    > This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

    It's a pity there wasn't *some* effect (both with Y2K and Conficker)
    so that it didn't seem like a false alarm to the general public. Now
    any future warnings like this will probably be taken with a grain of
    salt and ignored, and then something bad really will happen.
    Chris Lim, Apr 2, 2009
  4. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-04-01, steve <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

    > ( Like your timezone?? )
    >
    > There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
    > Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
    > and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
    >
    > It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
    > all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
    > there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
    > anything else?).
    >
    > This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

    Indeed.

    Look, at 6am on 911 did the US of A have any idea what was about to happen?

    Attacks blindsided one when one leasts expects them. I mean as President of
    the US of A in August 1945 do you announce to Japan that some matter will be
    destroyed above one of their cities.

    Did the Japanesee announce that they were out to bomb Pearl Harbour.

    Media feeeding frenzy, rely on it, for it exists still.
    Gordon, Apr 2, 2009
  5. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-04-02, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    > On Apr 2, 11:34 am, steve <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
    >> > So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

    >> ( Like your timezone?? )
    >>
    >> There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
    >> Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
    >> and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
    >>
    >> It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
    >> all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
    >> there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
    >> anything else?).
    >>
    >> This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

    > It's a pity there wasn't *some* effect (both with Y2K and Conficker)
    > so that it didn't seem like a false alarm to the general public.

    Free Agent was affected. Nothing major, only bug status. See there was some
    affect?
    Gordon, Apr 2, 2009
  6. JohnO

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 2, 11:34 am, steve <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:26:30 -0700, JohnO wrote:
    > > So, was the whole thing an April Fool hoax or what?

    > ( Like your timezone?? )
    >
    > There's millions of infected computers out there, that's not disputed.
    > Just because their masters have not yet chosen to use them in some unique
    > and interesting way doesn't mean they can be discounted.
    >
    > It's being compared to the y2k but... the reason that was a fizzle was
    > all of the work done to fix the problems before they became one ( sure
    > there were a few outfits who abused the situation, but who's expect
    > anything else?).
    >
    > This needs to be taken in the same manner. It's a bomb waiting to happen.

    It's a pity there wasn't *some* effect (both with Y2K and Conficker)
    so that it didn't seem like a false alarm to the general public. Now
    any future warnings like this will probably be taken with a grain of
    salt and ignored, and then something bad really will happen.

    ----

    So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
    the future?
    ;-)

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Apr 2, 2009
  7. JohnO

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Apr 2, 8:57 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
    > the future?
    > ;-)

    More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
    something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
    make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
    Chris Lim, Apr 2, 2009
  8. JohnO

    Jack Spratt Guest

    wrote:
    > So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
    > the future?
    > ;-)

    More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
    something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
    make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.

    ---
    Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a greater
    awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Apr 2, 2009
  9. JohnO

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Apr 2, 9:05 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message

    > On Apr 2, 8:57 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening in
    > > the future?
    > > ;-)

    > More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
    > something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
    > make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
    >
    > ---
    > Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a greater
    > awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

    Dunno, it might, or it might just have been luck. I often come across
    people who think the Y2K bug was just a big scare over nothing (even
    though you try and explain that the reason nothing major happened is
    because of all the work done). I have a feeling the Conficker virus
    will be seen in the same way and sooner or later people will treat IT
    warnings a bit like doomsday cults where the End of the World is
    constantly predicted but never happens. So a little scare might be
    useful to let people know that it is real.
    Chris Lim, Apr 2, 2009
  10. JohnO

    Jack Spratt Guest

    wrote:
    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message

    > On Apr 2, 8:57 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > So something bad should have happened to avoid something bad happening
    > > in
    > > the future?
    > > ;-)

    > More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
    > something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor to
    > make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
    >
    > ---
    > Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a greater
    > awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

    Dunno, it might, or it might just have been luck. I often come across
    people who think the Y2K bug was just a big scare over nothing (even
    though you try and explain that the reason nothing major happened is
    because of all the work done). I have a feeling the Conficker virus
    will be seen in the same way and sooner or later people will treat IT
    warnings a bit like doomsday cults where the End of the World is
    constantly predicted but never happens. So a little scare might be
    useful to let people know that it is real.

    ----
    Same people might benefit from a near miss at an intersection lest they
    forget the dangers of not looking both ways
    Jack Spratt, Apr 3, 2009
  11. JohnO

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > com... On Apr 2, 9:05 pm, "Jack Spratt"

    >> More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
    >> something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor
    >> to make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
    >>
    >> Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a
    >> greater awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

    I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
    place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
    usenet)

    > Dunno, it might, or it might just have been luck. I often come
    > across people who think the Y2K bug was just a big scare over
    > nothing (even though you try and explain that the reason nothing
    > major happened is because of all the work done). I have a feeling
    > the Conficker virus will be seen in the same way and sooner or
    > later people will treat IT warnings a bit like doomsday cults
    > where the End of the World is constantly predicted but never
    > happens. So a little scare might be useful to let people know that
    > it is real.

    I think mainstream media has forgotten about it already. April 01
    was about the only thing it going for it for getting such attention
    in the first place.

    That this "threat" was recognised as being hype beforehand,
    even respected IT media outlets such as PCWorld was saying as much
    upfront.

    Read: <http://www.pcworld.com/article/162102/april_fools_conficker_threat_is_likely_hype.html>

    or simply google "conficker hype".

    Anyway, I also think that this "event" is typical of
    mainstream media fodder/filler material.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Apr 3, 2009
  12. JohnO

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    >> com... On Apr 2, 9:05 pm, "Jack Spratt"

    >>> More like something slightly bad should have happened to avoid
    >>> something really bad happening in the future. Like a minor tremor
    >>> to make people realise an earthquake is a real possibility.
    >>>
    >>> Does the fact that nothing that bad happened not indicate a
    >>> greater awareness by the casual user rather than future apathy?

    > I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
    > place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
    > usenet)

    A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.
    Jack Spratt, Apr 3, 2009
  13. JohnO

    Mike Dee Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:

    >> I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only place
    >> I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and usenet)

    > A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

    Citations, please.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Apr 3, 2009
  14. JohnO

    Your Name Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > > "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Chris Lim" <> wrote in message
    > >> com... On Apr 2, 9:05 pm, "Jack Spratt"

    > > I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
    > > place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
    > > usenet)

    > A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

    And probably 15 billion people suckered into buying new / updated anti-virus
    software ... and guess where the supposed warnings came from ... yep, the
    anti-virus software makers, what a non-surprise. :)
    Your Name, Apr 4, 2009
  15. JohnO

    Jack Spratt Guest

    Jack Spratt, Apr 4, 2009
  16. JohnO

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Your Name" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message

    >> > I doubt that. More likely it was all hype to begin with. The only
    >> > place I ever heard about (to any degree was mainstream media and
    >> > usenet)

    >> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

    > And probably 15 billion people suckered into buying new / updated
    > anti-virus
    > software ... and guess where the supposed warnings came from ... yep, the
    > anti-virus software makers, what a non-surprise. :)

    Do you need to buy more "stuff" or just keep what you (should) have updated?
    Jack Spratt, Apr 4, 2009
  17. JohnO

    Mike Dee Guest

    >>> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

    >> Citations, please.

    Page last updated at 15:38 GMT, Monday, 16 March 2009. Hmmm... was
    that near the beginning of this gigantic media beat-up?

    > http://www.uslaw.com/library/Intern...rus_hits_15_million_PCs_world.php?item=359345

    Nope, this one was even earlier, with links to: "Full post as
    published by prisonlawinsideout on January 25."

    How about somthing more up-to-date:
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/world/europe/02iht-joke.html?ref=global-home>

    "In Britain, April Fools' Joke Is on Us
    Published: April 1, 2009

    As April Fools' Day came and went, the dreaded Conficker virus -
    which, according to some computer experts was going to infect
    millions of computers around the world, initiate ferocious spam
    attacks and generally end human civilization - was looking like a
    bit of a dud."

    About sums it up for me.

    For further non-event stories, see:
    <http://news.google.com/news?um=1&ned=us&hl=en&num=20&q=conficker+april+01&cf=all&start=20>

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Apr 4, 2009
  18. JohnO

    > "Your Name" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message

    > >> A reported 15 million computers affected/infected.

    > > And probably 15 billion people suckered into buying new / updated
    > > anti-virus
    > > software ... and guess where the supposed warnings came from ... yep,

    the
    > > anti-virus software makers, what a non-surprise. :)

    > Do you need to buy more "stuff" or just keep what you (should) have

    updated?

    What people should do is buy a Mac and get away from all the silly "malware"
    problems completely. :p
    Your Name, Apr 4, 2009