The Amazing D3 Catches The Resurrection at ISO 6400!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Russell, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. Mike Russell

    Mike Russell Guest

    "PixelPix" <> wrote in message
    >On Jan 4, 10:19 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >> It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me. Even
    >> under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this
    >> biblical
    >> event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    >> Christ. With this level or performance I believe it!
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>
    >>
    >> Rita

    > Oh gee! A downsized web image from our resident troll to backup a
    > 6400ISO performance claim.... how convincing.

    > ....NOT!!!!!! LOL

    Oh ye of little faith. The 6400 images are very useable, with very little
    noise outside the shadows. Here are a couple of handheld shots, taken under
    very dim light, that I took not long ago with a prototype D3.

    http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/6400/_DJC4485.jpg
    http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/6400/_DJC4487.jpg
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Mike Russell

    PixelPix Guest

    PixelPix, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Mike Russell wrote:

    >> Oh gee! A downsized web image from our resident troll to backup a
    >> 6400ISO performance claim.... how convincing.

    >> ....NOT!!!!!! LOL

    > Oh ye of little faith. The 6400 images are very useable, with very
    > little noise outside the shadows. Here are a couple of handheld
    > shots, taken under very dim light, that I took not long ago with a
    > prototype D3.
    > http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/6400/_DJC4485.jpg
    > http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/6400/_DJC4487.jpg

    Needn't waste your breath Mike, he's your typical Canon user, the proverbial
    fly on the outside of the window wishing he could get in. Looks like Canon
    lost its only appeal, high ISO performance. Since Canon can't do optics,
    really, what else have they left to offer the pro?

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 4, 2008
  5. Mike Russell

    PixelPix Guest

    On Jan 4, 9:08 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > Mike Russell wrote:
    > >> Oh gee!  A downsized web image from our resident troll to backup a
    > >> 6400ISO performance claim.... how convincing.

    > >> ....NOT!!!!!!  LOL

    > > Oh ye of little faith.  The 6400 images are very useable, with very
    > > little noise outside the shadows.  Here are a couple of handheld
    > > shots, taken under very dim light, that I took not long ago with a
    > > prototype D3.
    > >http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/6400/_DJC4485.jpg
    > >http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/6400/_DJC4487.jpg

    > Needn't waste your breath Mike, he's your typical Canon user, the proverbial
    > fly on the outside of the window wishing he could get in.  Looks like Canon
    > lost its only appeal, high ISO performance.  Since Canon can't do optics,
    > really, what else have they left to offer the pro?
    >
    > Rita

    Mike is not wasting his breath at all, as I am more than interested in
    the results that the camera produces and am willing to admit that it
    is very good with it's high ISO noise. As I have stated elsewhere in
    the news groups that it it seems to have 1/2 to perhaps 1 stop
    advantage over the canon, although perhaps at the expense of a bit of
    detail when compared to the Canon. So in real world situations both
    camps now offer very good usable cameras in this regard.

    The BIG difference here is that Mike is willing to offer samples at a
    meaningful size where an informed opinion can be made, rather than
    small web reductions that make even the noisiest of cameras look good.
    PixelPix, Jan 4, 2008
  6. Mike Russell

    Phil Guest

    On Jan 3, 7:19 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > It's been a very exciting day!  I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me.  Even
    > under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this biblical
    > event at ISO 6400.  Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    > Christ.  With this level or performance I believe it!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>
    >
    > Rita

    As the elaborate tap certainly doesn't make the beeer taste better,
    neither does the best equipment in the world make a dull photograpgh
    interesting.
    Phil, Jan 4, 2008
  7. Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me. Even
    > under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this biblical
    > event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    > Christ. With this level or performance I believe it!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>
    >

    > Rita

    Nah .... the D70 / Sigma is still tops. This took me a couple of
    minutes to set up, including the two trips to the fridge & downing the
    first glass.

    http://home.telkomsa.net/brother/BeerKeg/index.htm
    Bernard Rother, Jan 4, 2008
  8. Phil wrote:

    > On Jan 3, 7:19 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >> It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me.
    >> Even under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch
    >> this biblical event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is
    >> the second coming of Christ. With this level or performance I
    >> believe it!
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>

    > As the elaborate tap certainly doesn't make the beeer taste better,
    > neither does the best equipment in the world make a dull photograpgh
    > interesting.

    How true! But the journey is so much fun and doesn't get any better! Good
    beer and Nikon, what more could one ask for?

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 4, 2008
  9. Bernard Rother wrote:

    > Nah .... the D70 / Sigma is still tops. This took me a couple of
    > minutes to set up, including the two trips to the fridge & downing the
    > first glass.
    >
    > http://home.telkomsa.net/brother/BeerKeg/index.htm

    Cool! That's funny and a great one! I got one that will dwarf that. Out
    of respect to Mark and the boys I'll reshoot it later with the D3 and post
    it, time permitting of course. Oh, before I forget, if you ever get a
    chance to taste Resurrection you'll never touch another Heineken, it's that
    good.

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 4, 2008
  10. Mike Russell

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 3, 7:19 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of Christ.

    Don't be so stupid. Christ has already returned to live among us, and
    he still walks on water.

     http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/75457158
    Annika1980, Jan 4, 2008
  11. Annika1980 wrote:

    >> Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of Christ.

    > Don't be so stupid. Christ has already returned to live among us, and
    > he still walks on water.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/75457158

    LOL! I really like that one!

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 4, 2008
  12. Mike Russell

    Scott W Guest

    On Jan 3, 2:19 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > It's been a very exciting day!  I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me.  Even
    > under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this biblical
    > event at ISO 6400.  Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    > Christ.  With this level or performance I believe it!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>

    I for one am glad Nikon has finally given up and produced a full frame
    camera, Canon has had no real competition for far too long. It does
    look like the D3 is going to be a very good low noise camera. For me
    I will wait and see what follows the 5D.

    Enjoy your new toy, who knows in 18 months you might be back to Canon.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jan 4, 2008
  13. Mike Russell

    D-Mac Guest

    "Bernard Rother" <> wrote in message
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    >> It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me.
    >> Even
    >> under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this
    >> biblical
    >> event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    >> Christ. With this level or performance I believe it!
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>
    >>

    >> Rita
    >>

    > Nah .... the D70 / Sigma is still tops. This took me a couple of minutes
    > to set up, including the two trips to the fridge & downing the first
    > glass.
    >
    > http://home.telkomsa.net/brother/BeerKeg/index.htm

    I notice you must have sampled the contents by the tilt on the picture!!
    LOL.

    Douglas
    D-Mac, Jan 5, 2008
  14. Mike Russell

    D-Mac Guest

    "PixelPix" <> wrote in message
    On Jan 4, 10:19 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me. Even
    > under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this
    > biblical
    > event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    > Christ. With this level or performance I believe it!
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>
    >
    > Rita

    Oh gee! A downsized web image from our resident troll to backup a
    6400ISO performance claim.... how convincing.

    .....NOT!!!!!! LOL
    --------------------------

    You're a hypocrite Russell. You have monster bandwidth available (if we are
    to believe your story) and you have it because it's a part of your business.
    You can well post images of any size with no additional inconvenience or
    expense. Not so with those you use for entertainment.

    Rita plays around on the Internet without to need for such expense yet, you
    give him a pasting for exceeding his bandwidth one day and the next for not
    posting larger images. There's just no pleasing some people.

    Douglas
    D-Mac, Jan 5, 2008
  15. D-Mac wrote:
    > "Bernard Rother" <> wrote in message
    >> Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    >>> It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me.
    >>> Even
    >>> under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this
    >>> biblical
    >>> event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    >>> Christ. With this level or performance I believe it!
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>
    >>>

    >>> Rita
    >>>

    >> Nah .... the D70 / Sigma is still tops. This took me a couple of minutes
    >> to set up, including the two trips to the fridge & downing the first
    >> glass.
    >>
    >> http://home.telkomsa.net/brother/BeerKeg/index.htm

    > I notice you must have sampled the contents by the tilt on the picture!!
    > LOL.
    >
    > Douglas

    Was in a bit of a rush as I didn't want to lose the head on the beer
    before drinking it. Also have to look at a new tripod one of these days,
    mine is an old aluminium thing from 1976 and is still pretty heavy
    compared to the ones I've been salivating over in the shops.
    Bernard Rother, Jan 5, 2008
  16. Mike Russell

    PixelPix Guest

    On Jan 5, 12:30 pm, "D-Mac" <> wrote:
    > "PixelPix" <> wrote in message

    > On Jan 4, 10:19 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me. Even
    > > under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this
    > > biblical
    > > event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    > > Christ. With this level or performance I believe it!

    > > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/resurrection.htm>

    > > Rita

    > Oh gee!  A downsized web image from our resident troll to backup a
    > 6400ISO performance claim.... how convincing.
    >
    > ....NOT!!!!!!  LOL
    > --------------------------
    >
    > You're a hypocrite Russell. You have monster bandwidth available (if we are
    > to believe your story) and you have it because it's a part of your business.
    > You can well post images of any size with no additional inconvenience or
    > expense. Not so with those you use for entertainment.
    >
    > Rita plays around on the Internet without to need for such expense yet, you
    > give him a pasting for exceeding his bandwidth one day and the next for not
    > posting larger images. There's just no pleasing some people.
    >
    > Douglas

    WTF are you on about you loon?? If I post an image for IQ purposes I
    will always post 100% crop as well as a downsized full view.

    As for my bandwidth... no I don't have "monster" bandwidth available,
    because POTD is a mega data muncha... and if I go over my servers
    allowance I pay extra bucks and that I would rather not do.

    Rita on the other hand, could post 100% crops to back up the
    statements that constantly get made.
    PixelPix, Jan 5, 2008
  17. Mike Russell

    Guest

    On Jan 4, 2:50 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 3, 7:19 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of Christ.

    > Don't be so stupid.  Christ has already returned to live among us, and
    > he still walks on water.
    >
    >  http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/75457158

    ROFL!
    , Jan 5, 2008
  18. Mike Russell

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > It's been a very exciting day! I'm glad I had my trusty D3 with me. Even
    > under Baltimore's harsh and poor lighting I was able to catch this
    > biblical
    > event at ISO 6400. Word on the streets is the D3 is the second coming of
    > Christ. With this level or performance I believe it!

    Why not get one of those 12mm lenses so you can take a pic of your ass
    without resorting to stitching?
    Kinon O'Cann, Jan 5, 2008